Occupations that are uniquely objectionable to Conservative Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Occupations that are uniquely objectionable to Conservative Anabaptists

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:16 am
mike wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:14 am I don't think anybody has commented yet on to what extent CAs would be OK with being an internet service provider. Could this be considered similar to any other IT job - selling and servicing computers and networking?
Wow. That would be a tough one for me personally. If I started such a business, I think I would feel morally responsible to put some sort of filter on it.
There is no way I could administrate something like that. I can see that becoming its own flavor of church politics. Basically "pay to play" comes to mind.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:54 am
Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:16 am
mike wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:14 am I don't think anybody has commented yet on to what extent CAs would be OK with being an internet service provider. Could this be considered similar to any other IT job - selling and servicing computers and networking?
Wow. That would be a tough one for me personally. If I started such a business, I think I would feel morally responsible to put some sort of filter on it.
There is no way I could administrate something like that. I can see that becoming its own flavor of church politics. Basically "pay to play" comes to mind.
How? What do church politics have to do with it?
0 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:12 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:16 am Wow. That would be a tough one for me personally. If I started such a business, I think I would feel morally responsible to put some sort of filter on it.
Who has access to what on the internet. Trying to filter and moderate this would be like trying to herd cats.
1 x

ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:46 am

Who has access to what on the internet. Trying to filter and moderate this would be like trying to herd cats.
For myself if I were running something like that I could probably salve my conscience sufficiently by implementing a commercially available filter with generous settings - just to filter out the worst of the worst. I'm not sure though at what point a person would run into net neutrality regulations and problems. Call me a cynic, but somehow I'm not sure the government would look kindly on an ISP refusing to serve up onlyfans pages and pot advertisements.
0 x
steve-in-kville

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:54 am

For myself if I were running something like that I could probably salve my conscience sufficiently by implementing a commercially available filter with generous settings - just to filter out the worst of the worst. I'm not sure though at what point a person would run into net neutrality regulations and problems. Call me a cynic, but somehow I'm not sure the government would look kindly on an ISP refusing to serve up onlyfans pages and pot advertisements.
That would be the best route, in my opinion. I heard stories of various groups allowing certain business owners access to certain things while others looked on with envy. A commercially available filter would take the human touch out of it.
Last edited by steve-in-kville on Thu May 02, 2024 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 am

That would be the best route, in my opinion. I heard stories of various groups allowing certain business owners access to certain things while others looked with envy. A commercially available filter would take the human touch out of it.
I would only envision blocking the kind of things that nobody ever has a need to see. Then customers could implement their own filtering systems as appropriate.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 am

That would be the best route, in my opinion. I heard stories of various groups allowing certain business owners access to certain things while others looked on with envy. A commercially available filter would take the human touch out of it.
My church operates a filter and doesn’t make exceptions for “certain business owners”. And I can’t imagine someone “looking on with envy”. What kind of horrible people would be like that?
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I think I would sell anything I would buy.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

joshuabgood wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:41 pm I think I would sell anything I would buy.
Sales is something I despise. Just because I have to buy things doesn't mean I want to sell them. For example, I can't imagine being a car salesman. Definitely not in my skill set.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

joshuabgood wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:41 pm I think I would sell anything I would buy.
I'm feeling too lazy right now to think of examples but I suspect there are items I might purchase that are good and right in their proper place but that are misused often enough that I wouldn't want to sell them (not that I would say it's sinful to sell them).
1 x