Occupations that are uniquely objectionable to Conservative Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Occupations that are uniquely objectionable to Conservative Anabaptists

Post by steve-in-kville »

I don't have a problem buying a raffle ticket that benefits a non-profit. But that's me.

I had a coworker that won a million on a scratch off some years back. Want to guess how much he has left? :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:40 am I don't have a problem buying a raffle ticket that benefits a non-profit. But that's me.

I had a coworker that won a million on a scratch off some years back. Want to guess how much he has left? :o
He's probably broke.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:40 am I don't have a problem buying a raffle ticket that benefits a non-profit. But that's me.

$200,000 debt to the IRS?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 am

$200,000 debt to the IRS?
Close. Six figures in the hole.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 am
Neto wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:02 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:04 am

This is where I must disagree. I have no problem buying gun/raffle tickets full well knowing the funds are going to a volunteer fire company. If I win something, fine, but it is a rare occurrence. Fire, EMS and SAR teams in our area (for the most part) are not dripping with money like other areas.

I do not view this as gambling as I am not expecting anything in return. Sorry but not sorry.
Just a friendly question, as I have wondered about the propriety of participating in these things myself: If I (or you) really "expect nothing in return", that is, if there is absolutely no hope of actually receiving the prize, why not just make a donation instead, and refuse the ticket? If you win, would you claim the prize? (I DID participate in a raffle benefit for our youth's mission trip last year, and someone really did win. Some of the men in my SS class were calling it gambling.)
I was at a dinner once where there were tickets at each seat for a door prize giveaway. My ticket was one of the winning tickets so I gave it to another fellow at my table and he collected the prize.
Our age group at our congregation has gatherings twice a year, around Valentines Day, and for Christmas. Two couples take the responsibility to do the planning and arrangements for a year at a time. Sometimes they do something like that - with a note under one or more of the plates at the table, that results in a small prize. But there is no cash out-lay connected to the eligibility to win it, so I would not have any qualms about accepting it. That is, it bears no resemblance to gambling at all (at least in my mind).
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:26 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm
Fire Dept - depending on the area, some fire departments rely on raffles, bingo, tractor pulls, etc for fund raising. Also some require life insurance for their members which most conservative Mennos find objectionable.
This is where I must disagree. I have no problem buying gun/raffle tickets full well knowing the funds are going to a volunteer fire company. If I win something, fine, but it is a rare occurrence. Fire, EMS and SAR teams in our area (for the most part) are not dripping with money like other areas.

I do not view this as gambling as I am not expecting anything in return. Sorry but not sorry.
I expect most of these things there will be people who disagree. But as Neto mentioned, I prefer to make a straight-up donation rather than buy a raffle ticket.
Plus raffle tickets are not tax deductible.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm
Fire Dept - depending on the area, some fire departments rely on raffles, bingo, tractor pulls, etc for fund raising. Also some require life insurance for their members which most conservative Mennos find objectionable.

I sometimes fill out the stub with humorous names and clearly fake names.
Have not won yet.
0 x
:hug:
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I have bought a few fire company raffle tickets in the past, but it's honestly just so pointless. If you want to give money to the fire company, give a donation. If you want the thing that is being raffled off, buy it somewhere.

Yet, the model works, and our local companies have a constant flow of raffles. I sell many items to the fire company to raffle off, which they do completely online, and then have the winner pick up their item at my business. All the fire company has to do is purchase and pay for the items and use an online software to sell tickets and choose winners. They don't even have to handle the physical products. It's a great moneymaker for them. And people must love doing it because the tickets just keep on selling.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:05 pm I have bought a few fire company raffle tickets in the past, but it's honestly just so pointless. If you want to give money to the fire company, give a donation. If you want the thing that is being raffled off, buy it somewhere.

Yet, the model works, and our local companies have a constant flow of raffles. I sell many items to the fire company to raffle off, which they do completely online, and then have the winner pick up their item at my business. All the fire company has to do is purchase and pay for the items and use an online software to sell tickets and choose winners. They don't even have to handle the physical products. It's a great moneymaker for them. And people must love doing it because the tickets just keep on selling.
Around here our local fire department doesn't do raffles but they do an annual BBQ that you can buy tickets for. I think $20 a plate now. I just buy the tickets but never show up which amounts to a donation. Back in TX they used to stand out at intersections with the boots to throw money in which is something I also see in Chile. I barely even carry cash anymore so I expect the road side donation thing will eventually decline and go away as we become more cashless.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In the part of California my wife is from, the local fire department holds a Brazilian supper fundraiser. The amount given is actually a donation - no set price. They even have "drive thru" service where you get a meal to go.

Of course, most of the volunteer firefighters are Mennonites which is probably why they don't do raffles.
0 x