Photography Sinful ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Photography Sinful ?

Post by Sudsy »

It was only a few years ago that I became aware of some Anabaptists (and I'm not aware of any Christians who believe this outside of Anabaptism but perhaps there are) that resist taking photographs as a violation of one of the 10 commandments. So, I had to look closely at this text in Exodus 20:3-6. Which reads - AMP
“You shall have no other gods before Me.

“You shall not make for yourself any idol, or any likeness (form, manifestation) of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth [as an object to worship]. You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous (impassioned) God [demanding what is rightfully and uniquely mine], visiting (avenging) the iniquity (sin, guilt) of the fathers on the children [that is, calling the children to account for the sins of their fathers], to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing graciousness and steadfast lovingkindness to thousands [of generations] of those who love Me and keep My commandments
This text, to me, is speaking about objects not to worship as God alone is to be worshipped. In context I believe the Amplified is correct by explaining with 'as an object to worship'. Therefore taking photographs would only be a sinful practise if those photographs were worshipped. The same goes for any object I make for myself as an idol and worship it. God alone is to be worshipped. And that then gets us into the area of when do we have things that we treat in a worshipful manner which could be most anything. When do we cross that line into worshipping something and not just keeping our worship for God alone.

I am not a big collector of photos but have never worshipped a photo. I believe that holds true for most people even those who keep many albums of photos. Photos help us recall memories and usually are for looking back on special moments in life. How that could be sinful, I don't understand and I don't believe this Exodus text supports the practise of keeping away from photos.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how this, quite unique, practise can be taken from this text ? Is this not speaking about worshipping things other than God ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Photography Sinful ?

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 am It was only a few years ago that I became aware of some Anabaptists (and I'm not aware of any Christians who believe this outside of Anabaptism but perhaps there are) that resist taking photographs as a violation of one of the 10 commandments. So, I had to look closely at this text in Exodus 20:3-6. Which reads - AMP
“You shall have no other gods before Me.

“You shall not make for yourself any idol, or any likeness (form, manifestation) of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth [as an object to worship]. You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous (impassioned) God [demanding what is rightfully and uniquely mine], visiting (avenging) the iniquity (sin, guilt) of the fathers on the children [that is, calling the children to account for the sins of their fathers], to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing graciousness and steadfast lovingkindness to thousands [of generations] of those who love Me and keep My commandments
This text, to me, is speaking about objects not to worship as God alone is to be worshipped. In context I believe the Amplified is correct by explaining with 'as an object to worship'. Therefore taking photographs would only be a sinful practise if those photographs were worshipped. The same goes for any object I make for myself as an idol and worship it. God alone is to be worshipped. And that then gets us into the area of when do we have things that we treat in a worshipful manner which could be most anything. When do we cross that line into worshipping something and not just keeping our worship for God alone.

I am not a big collector of photos but have never worshipped a photo. I believe that holds true for most people even those who keep many albums of photos. Photos help us recall memories and usually are for looking back on special moments in life. How that could be sinful, I don't understand and I don't believe this Exodus text supports the practise of keeping away from photos.

Perhaps someone can explain to me how this, quite unique, practise can be taken from this text ? Is this not speaking about worshipping things other than God ?
If the Lord had wanted to simply prohibit the worship of images, there would have been no need for the first sentence there. A command to not worship images would have been sufficient. The Amplified translation incorporates the translator's assumptions about the purpose of the command.

As to most people not worshipping photos - there's plenty of people take pictures and post them on social media to be admired, seems a close kin to worship sometimes.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy,
Can you identify any person who believes they are worshiping the statue? The image be it a picture or an icon? Can you find anyone who admits they worship something man made?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I always heard various groups did not allow the use of cameras, but I do not think it is enforced like it was decades ago.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I can only share what Plain Catholics have chosen to do. We do not allow personal photographs of people because we learned ~80 years ago that we cannot prevent someone from misusing them. In light of the current AI controversies, that decision was prescient.

Photos and statues of the saints are originally meant as visual aids in teaching. Sadly there are individuals who misuse those as well. We pray for them to see the usage correctly according to God’s teachings.
Last edited by MaxPC on Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

The Bible doesn't talk about photography which wasn't invented until the 19th Century. It does talk about images. So do those same groups who oppose photography also oppose other forms of imagery? Such as, for example, this typical publication from Rod and Staff?

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am The Bible doesn't talk about photography which wasn't invented until the 19th Century. It does talk about images. So do those same groups who oppose photography also oppose other forms of imagery? Such as, for example, this typical publication from Rod and Staff?

Most conservatives like Nationwide have come out against the personal portraits that adorn some American's walls but don't take a hard stance on photography anymore.
The advent of the smart phone and every dumb phone having a camera basically made the intrusion impossible to prevent without giving up mobile phones.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 am The Bible doesn't talk about photography which wasn't invented until the 19th Century. It does talk about images. So do those same groups who oppose photography also oppose other forms of imagery? Such as, for example, this typical publication from Rod and Staff?

Wife: interestingly enough, that particular book was probably written by a beachy, since it is published by CAM, so Rod and Staff is just selling it. Rod and staff publications, in my experience, never have a picture of Jesus from the front, and all their men (even the bad kings) are devoid of mustaches.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:34 am Sudsy,
Can you identify any person who believes they are worshiping the statue? The image be it a picture or an icon? Can you find anyone who admits they worship something man made?
What people admit to and what is actually going on in their hearts, where God looks, can be quite different. I believe one can cross the line on worship in one's heart with or without photos. I just have not run across anyone who worships a photo. I don't know other's hearts but what appears to me sometimes is one can cross that line into worship when we put anything ahead of God in our displays of worship. Could be the car we drive, our family, even the brand of Chrisatianity we follow. My guess is what we worship most will come across in what we talk about the most. Scripture says from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

I cannot judge what is going on in a person's heart when they look at a photo or painting anymore than I can when seeing a person kneeling before a statue of whatever or whoever. They can be using these things as a means to focus on something other than the thing itself. But if they are worshipping the object rather than God, I believe they have crossed the line. God will not tolerate putting other gods (worship objects) before Him.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:25 pmI just have not run across anyone who worships a photo. I don't know other's hearts but what appears to me sometimes is one can cross that line into worship when we put anything ahead of God in our displays of worship.
It is common in the Catholic Church. Not photos, but pictures.

Even the Pope

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr