Bible Study References

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Bible Study References

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Anyone here use "Wuist's word studies in the Greek New Testement". I find it makes language accessible to us who know no Greek.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Max:

Unless Ernie has gotten a pilots license, this is not his church. He lives in central PA, this place is on the outskirts of Boston.

J.M.
It's my understanding that Ernie has a connection with FotW as indicated here:
Ernie wrote:
Once Again wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiMPJuB6gXA

A lecture by Chuck Pike put online by the "Followers of the Way". It tells about the non-resistant beginnings of the Restoration Movement and how it lost its way after WWI.

Laura
I plan to be with Chuck and FotW this weekend. Anything you want me to ask him? :)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=67#p1277
If not, correction noted.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Anyone here use "Wuist's word studies in the Greek New Testement". I find it makes language accessible to us who know no Greek.
You can see it here:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=ZHhK3A ... &q&f=false

It has a lot of good observations mixed with some very questionable ones. Useful, but don't think of the things it says a "proven" before checking with a more authoritative source.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:
Josh wrote:That is not Ernie's fellowship, and some of their messages deviate quite far from what I consider Anabaptism and conservative Mennonite thinking.
Josh, this your opinion only. Please refrain from criticizing others' fellowship messages. As many have reminded you, your generalized statements are far too broad and negative.
In my opinion, it was clearly stated as opinion (except the first phrase, which is factual). Surely you don't mean to suggest that none of us can disagree with some of FotW's teachings or discuss that disagreement. Though maybe that should be done in a different thread.

In my opinion, the statement about generalized statements is itself a generalized statement. :lol:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
In my opinion, the statement about generalized statements is itself a generalized statement. :lol:
Easy to say until Josh says the same thing about your fellowship and in which you gave him notice that you didn't like on several occasions at MD. :lol:

Seriously, I think it's important in this new forum to promote a better way: if you disagree with a fellowship's interpretation of Anabaptist thought, take it up with the fellowship in PMs and off list, as the Bible prescribes in Matthew 18:15.

As was mentioned in MD, there is general disagreement about what defines authentic Anabaptism as practiced by the different fellowships. My experience is that each fellowship is involved in a particular mission for Christ (many mansions :D).

Spending time and energy criticizing or judging others' discipleship walk takes away time and energy from your own mission.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Easy to say until Josh says the same thing about your fellowship and in which you gave him notice that you didn't like on several occasions at MD. :lol:

Seriously, I think it's important in this new forum to promote a better way: if you disagree with a fellowship's interpretation of Anabaptist thought, take it up with the fellowship in PMs and off list, as the Bible prescribes in Matthew 18:15.

As was mentioned in MD, there is general disagreement about what defines authentic Anabaptism as practiced by the different fellowships. My experience is that each fellowship is involved in a particular mission for Christ (many mansions :D).

Spending time and energy criticizing or judging others' discipleship walk takes away time and energy from your own mission.
Max:

I generally refrain from criticism of a pastor, and believe Matt 18 applies, until...

They start publishing and selling books. When someone broadcasts their views in that manner, trying to apply Matt 18 is silly. They have placed their views into a setting where they invite review by others, and even books opposing their views. Matt 18 was clearly written to be understood in the context of relationships within a congregation , not discussions concerning publications. (People at FOJ in Boston have published books outlining their views) I would also place conference speakers in much the same category.

When books are published, Matthew 18 no longer is a realistic options (Try getting "FaceTime" with Tim Keller for example) so the only way to realistically challenge these views is by publishing your own. This is the rough analogy of the Wittenberg door. But than you seem to have problems with that one as well.....

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:Easy to say until Josh says the same thing about your fellowship and in which you gave him notice that you didn't like on several occasions at MD. :lol:
I've given up trying to diagram that sentence, but if you're referring to a few times I've felt compelled to realign Josh's concept of the ecclesial diversity of my/our conference, I don't think either of us were the least bit nettled by that exchange.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Seriously, I think it's important in this new forum to promote a better way: if you disagree with a fellowship's interpretation of Anabaptist thought, take it up with the fellowship in PMs and off list, as the Bible prescribes in Matthew 18:15.
I generally refrain from criticism of a pastor, and believe Matt 18 applies, until...

They start publishing and selling books. When someone broadcasts their views in that manner, trying to apply Matt 18 is silly. They have placed their views into a setting where they invite review by others, and even books opposing their views. Matt 18 was clearly written to be understood in the context of relationships within a congregation , not discussions concerning publications.
I think that's a worthwhile distinction. If Mt 18 obligated us to initiate contact with everyone we disagreed with and attempt to correct them, we wouldn't have time for anything else (such as discussing Bible study references on MN), and we would manage to annoy quite a few people in the process. I imagine far fewer books would be written if authors were inundated by strangers Matthew-18ing them.

The requirement to "go and tell him his fault" only applies to the case where "your brother sins against you", and disagreement on the boundaries of Anabaptist thought isn't necessarily sin. Not to mention that PMs wouldn't apply in this case, since nobody from FotW is currently on MN.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:
mike wrote:One resource that I like to use if I'm going to teach through an entire book of the Bible is IVP's Bible Background Commentary.
I love that, it's usually quick to read and gives most of the relevant cultural information you really need to know.
The author of this is a Baptist preacher, right? Does this show in any of the commentary on particular texts? Should one have any "heads up" about this book?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
mike wrote:One resource that I like to use if I'm going to teach through an entire book of the Bible is IVP's Bible Background Commentary.
I love that, it's usually quick to read and gives most of the relevant cultural information you really need to know.
The author of this is a Baptist preacher, right? Does this show in any of the commentary on particular texts? Should one have any "heads up" about this book?
Probably in the parts where he talks about John the Baptist and the red neck ties that he wore over his suede suits...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
ohio jones wrote:

Interestingly enough, I would have strong differences with oj's conference, and I suspect many if not most people in his conference would have strong differences with my own church and conference. Indeed, affiliates of his conference accept excommunicants from mine, and I think that's about as strong of a "general disagreement" as one can get.

Yet oj and I seem to mutually accept one another and neither of us would have an objection to visiting each other at our respective home churches. The overall atmosphere is one of caring, not of emphasising differences. People on each side of the aforementioned division sometimes ask me how someone now on the other side is doing, and avoid talking about the background for such divisions, excommunications, etc.
0 x