Churches, Dealerships, and Franchises

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Churches, Dealerships, and Franchises

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:13 am
Just teach in the school, even part time, and you will have plenty of fellowship. Our church is a fairly new one, so not everyone is related to anyone. I suspect that helps, my wife are not the only NMBs in our church.
I’m open to teaching things like math and science but my English skills are subpar at best. Besides, generally it seems like when they want someone to sub, they don’t ask someone who never went to school outside of college.
In my experience, the women pick up the children, not the fathers. I sort of know what you mean though. My thinking is working for them or with them is the ideal way to get your foot in figuratively.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:17 am
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:55 am
Soloist wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:29 pm

I see the bigger issue is jealousy… Mennonites have a great social/community but it’s basically built around family lines. They have no experience integrating anyone into their own family and have plenty of church fellowship throughout the week built into work and numerous family activities. Extra meeting that week? Cancel prayer meeting!
I really really wonder how JW’s manage to keep meeting daily
It really is quite silly how plain Anabaptists wring their hands about how they should stop being so plain to “help seekers”,whilst simultaneously being blind to how they really don’t even want to integrate seekers into their family based lives.
There are some congregations that seem good at this. There are many that are not, I am finding out more and more. I would say that it is not a matter of changing rules, but a matter of changing some social patterns.
I think you have it pretty well stated. That though requires a lot of intentional effort. It’s not about going over to eat with someone either, it’s about being involved. Do you have a project that is a little big? Ask a seeker if they want to join in and have a simple meal shared after. Have some wood to split for a widow? Invite the seeker.

The seeker has to of course see the effort and not ignore it thinking no one is trying.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:45 am
Just teach in the school, even part time, and you will have plenty of fellowship. Our church is a fairly new one, so not everyone is related to anyone. I suspect that helps, my wife are not the only NMBs in our church.
I’m open to teaching things like math and science but my English skills are subpar at best. Besides, generally it seems like when they want someone to sub, they don’t ask someone who never went to school outside of college.
In my experience, the women pick up the children, not the fathers. I sort of know what you mean though. My thinking is working for them or with them is the ideal way to get your foot in figuratively.
Good science teachers are incredibly hard to find.

Getting to know the high school students is very helpful. The school social scene is a window to the church scene.
0 x
:hug:
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 am Easy now, that isn't true. You're really going to say that they have "no experience integrating anyone into their own family"???? I am sure with that attitude you're not going to succeed in gaining any closer fellowship and Mennonites are good at not giving into self pity. Try a little more self denial, not looking at self, not expecting anything - but serving. If you don't fit in - oh well - still do the will of God and you will find joy - I assure you it is part of the answer of integrating and having closer fellowship.
Feel free to call me on the phone, I can share my walk and my experience with several churches. You don’t have much experience yet and in a few years what is painfully obvious will be visible to you too.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:54 am Good science teachers are incredibly hard to find.

Getting to know the high school students is very helpful. The school social scene is a window to the church scene.
I can agree with that. I’ve mentioned before I’m willing to teach any science but I haven’t found any interest.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 pm
Barring something like a history of divorce, why can't one adapt? It is largely a matter of the will. Main issues I have seen are TV, clothes, what you do in your social life, and (Gasp) wedding rings.
I see the bigger issue is jealousy… Mennonites have a great social/community but it’s basically built around family lines. They have no experience integrating anyone into their own family and have plenty of church fellowship throughout the week built into work and numerous family activities. Extra meeting that week? Cancel prayer meeting!
How is that going to work for a husband who has to work shift work to support his family and a wife with 5 kids including young babies and toddlers?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:39 am

How is that going to work for a husband who has to work shift work to support his family and a wife with 5 kids including young babies and toddlers?
Probably won’t. But any suggestions that have worked are better than no ideas at all. Maybe someone else has a better one?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm
Probably won’t. But any suggestions that have worked are better than no ideas at all. Maybe someone else has a better one?
Well, I’ve basically accepted that it’s just the way things are. If I was in a Baptist church I’d have even less fellowship, I’d probably have friends though.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:29 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm
Well, I’ve basically accepted that it’s just the way things are. If I was in a Baptist church I’d have even less fellowship, I’d probably have friends though.
I wish I could help you. I could if you were in my home town.

My home congregation does an amazing job, getting people into the social network of the church. Our pastor , who I highly respect, does his level best to make seekers part of the fellowship . Per our form of church governance, there are things that only members can do. Being greeters, on the team hosting fellowship meals, registering children for VBS, getting the snack ready (just to be clear, not teaching) all of these things a non member will likely be asked to do. I was “greeter” on Sunday morning while my wife was still putting on her covering in the car. These are the things that integrate people into a fellowship. If you are willing, we are willing too.

When you start being asked to provide hospitality rather then receive it, you know it is working.
1 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:57 am
NedFlanders wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:37 am Easy now, that isn't true. You're really going to say that they have "no experience integrating anyone into their own family"???? I am sure with that attitude you're not going to succeed in gaining any closer fellowship and Mennonites are good at not giving into self pity. Try a little more self denial, not looking at self, not expecting anything - but serving. If you don't fit in - oh well - still do the will of God and you will find joy - I assure you it is part of the answer of integrating and having closer fellowship.
Feel free to call me on the phone, I can share my walk and my experience with several churches. You don’t have much experience yet and in a few years what is painfully obvious will be visible to you too.
My hearing isn't the best over the phone and so our last call few calls I had trouble really picking up on everything very well. I'm not discrediting your experience - I believe you. I just don't think that your experience is the same as everyone. I may be considered as not having much experience but I think I do actually know and have experienced much of what you are talking about, if not, I wouldn't bother trying to share what I did - that I know works.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.