Pilgrim Mennonite Conference current events

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Pilgrim Mennonite Conference current events

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 amAs an aside, I find it really annoying how plain people refer to a “Junior” as if we’re all supposed to know who that is. I have literally been asked, “Do you know Junior?” Junior who? I provably know 50 “Juniors”.
Be glad you're not Amish and trying to figure out who Butter Davie's John's Sam Amos is... :laugh
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Josh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 am As an aside, I find it really annoying how plain people refer to a “Junior” as if we’re all supposed to know who that is. I have literally been asked, “Do you know Junior?” Junior who? I probably know 50 “Juniors”.
Ivan Martin Jr who was ordained bishop shortly after Pilgrim started
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:32 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 am As an aside, I find it really annoying how plain people refer to a “Junior” as if we’re all supposed to know who that is. I have literally been asked, “Do you know Junior?” Junior who? I probably know 50 “Juniors”.
I couldn't think of his name. Thank you.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

boxers vs briefs?

tmi
way too much information that i don't need to know.
2 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I just got off the phone with Ivan Martin. Probably not a junior, although Tim Price described him as “the younger guy”.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Josh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:10 pm
I just got off the phone with Ivan Martin. Probably not a junior, although Tim Price described him as “the younger guy”.
Ivan Martin Jr is in his early 70s
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

So, a couple of complaints.

Solo, we’re you around when Pilgrim split? If not, that does not mean you can not understand, but realize your gained knowledge is inherently biased by your sources.

My comments about Stephen’s centrality were NOT [re read my post] blaming him. Nor excusing him.
I said his centrality could not be ignored. And I will stand by it.

It’s a mark of some of the Anabaptist problems that individual preeminence often plays a critical part.
You can criticize many aspects of EPMC but it’s formation was not dominated by a single man.
Pilgrim was. And we can debate the reasons for the split, many of which are NOT about Stephen.
But his vision SO dominated Pilgrim and for a long time that you simply cannot ignore his centrality.
And when the centrality of a church group is one man……it does not hold. Simple as that, hence my description of inevitable.

That neither condemns nor glorifies where Pilgrim is.

And yes, I know many in both Eastern and Pilgrim, and even Northeast who came from both.
There are all fine people.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 pm So, a couple of complaints.

Solo, we’re you around when Pilgrim split? If not, that does not mean you can not understand, but realize your gained knowledge is inherently biased by your sources.
Bias is inevitable. I can only do what I can do. Speaking with ordained from that time both in Eastern, western fellowship and Pilgrim gives me a basic idea, the issues were brewing inherent to Eastern’s model. What I took issue with was your opinion that Pilgrim was controlled by 1 man and his vision. He certainly did have one but those who agreed with him were not controlled but agreed his ideas were more Scriptural then those seeking to silence him.
My comments about Stephen’s centrality were NOT [re read my post] blaming him. Nor excusing him.
I said his centrality could not be ignored. And I will stand by it.
This I can agree with, your previous post I could not.
It’s a mark of some of the Anabaptist problems that individual preeminence often plays a critical part.
You can criticize many aspects of EPMC but it’s formation was not dominated by a single man.
Seems like there are very few denominations where a central figure plays a major role. I still disagree with you.
I’ve actually met the guy, didn’t particularly get along.
His children a different story.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:43 am
Josh wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:41 am Incidentally, I wear boxers (given my strong stance against cross dressing).
As do I!

Never was much of a briefs kinda guy :D
Boxer briefs. Best of both worlds. And if you happen to buy Manmade you'll discover they solve problems you didn't realize you had. According to their ads, anyway.
0 x