Pilgrim Mennonite Conference current events

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Pilgrim Mennonite Conference current events

Post by steve-in-kville »

All I remember was Shirksville and Swatara are basically next to each other, but they were two different districts.... and there was some strange rivalry between the two. Friendly in nature, but weird.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:23 pm All I remember was Shirksville and Swatara are basically next to each other, but they were two different districts.... and there was some strange rivalry between the two. Friendly in nature, but weird.
Huh???? What two districts?
0 x
steve-in-kville

And the one that Shirksville was in had the Florida (Pensecola?) in it. Made total sense.
0 x

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 pm [quote=steve-in-kville post_id=230505 time=<a href="tel:1713975794">1713975794</a> user_id=166]
All I remember was Shirksville and Swatara are basically next to each other, but they were two different districts.... and there was some strange rivalry between the two. Friendly in nature, but weird.

Wife: Probably something to do with volleyball or baseball.

In all seriousness, they at least currently are both pilgrim, so maybe they just had different overseeing bishops. Closer connections with other pilgrim churches might just be as simple as everyone being related.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 amAnd distant leaders are likely to be perceived as illegitimate, since they have no relationship with the people they purport to lead.
Unless hierarchy is built into your model of church, like the Anglicans, Catholics, Orthodox, Methodists, and some Anabaptists.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 amAnd distant leaders are likely to be perceived as illegitimate, since they have no relationship with the people they purport to lead.
Unless hierarchy is built into your model of church, like the Anglicans, Catholics, Orthodox, Methodists, and some Anabaptists.
In our circles, the Bishop is by once a month. I do not see how it would work otherwise. We are about 45 mins drive away.

When I was in a C&MA church, we went years without any contact with the district superintendent. I guess he did not wonder when, at a critical meeting, no one addressed him.

More or less people pretended he was not there. I was pinned in the sound room, and did not see him.
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 pm [quote=steve-in-kville post_id=230505 time=<a href="tel:1713975794">1713975794</a> user_id=166]

In all seriousness, they at least currently are both pilgrim, so maybe they just had different overseeing bishops. Closer connections with other pilgrim churches might just be as simple as everyone being related.
Apparently, if I remember right, Swatara was more lenient on standards on what cars that members can own. And the Shirksville folks considered them liberals because of it. I took it to be all in good fun at the time.
0 x

Soloist

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 am

Apparently, if I remember right, Swatara was more lenient on standards on what cars that members can own. And the Shirksville folks considered them liberals because of it. I took it to be all in good fun at the time.
Wife: maybe at some point. There are standards against sports cars and your truck can only have so many bells and whistles. Both churches are under the same standard, but different ministers probably choose different times to address someone. I’m thinking they’ll be in the same conference with the change, but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am

Wife: maybe at some point. There are standards against sports cars and your truck can only have so many bells and whistles. Both churches are under the same standard, but different ministers probably choose different times to address someone. I’m thinking they’ll be in the same conference with the change, but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.
Keep in mind this was nearly 30 years ago and the EPMC/PMC split was only a year or two before this. But yes, the car issue most likely stemmed from what ministry actually enforced or even preached on.
0 x

Soloist

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:14 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am

Keep in mind this was nearly 30 years ago and the EPMC/PMC split was only a year or two before this. But yes, the car issue most likely stemmed from what ministry actually enforced or even preached on.
Wife: OK, that makes more sense. that’s way before my time, although they’ve come a long way since then, if boys’ trucks are any indicator. :lol:
0 x