Pilgrim Mennonite Conference current events

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Re: Pilgrim Mennonite Conference current events

Post by cooper »

I can't help but think the history of splits in Pilgrim have something to do with this decision. The founding congregations of Pilgrim were from the Lebanon district of EPMC. The founding congregations of Northeast were mostly in New York and northern PA.
1 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 pm I'm curious what people see as the pros and cons of a larger versus smaller conference.

Also it seems to me that the more relevant metric is total number of members in the conference, rather than total number of churches.
An ordained man from the "Southern District" of Pilgrim told me he would sit in ministers' meetings where issues were being discussed, and he could not relate to the discussion because the issues they were facing were not the same as the issues being faced in other parts of the church. Where you have a conference with a large geographic footprint it is hard to make "one size fits all" directives.
4 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Oh wow. I work with and do business with folks from PMC. Haven't heard a peep. But then, I don't ask either.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:27 am Oh wow. I work with and do business with folks from PMC. Haven't heard a peep. But then, I don't ask either.
This is old news really. We’ve been talking about this for over a year.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:07 pm I'm curious what people see as the pros and cons of a larger versus smaller conference.

Also it seems to me that the more relevant metric is total number of members in the conference, rather than total number of churches.
An ordained man from the "Southern District" of Pilgrim told me he would sit in ministers' meetings where issues were being discussed, and he could not relate to the discussion because the issues they were facing were not the same as the issues being faced in other parts of the church. Where you have a conference with a large geographic footprint it is hard to make "one size fits all" directives.
I have sat in a BMA meeting thinking, "I hope not many from my congregation hear about this, because this issue hasn't come up and I hope it never does."
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: also, imagine getting anything done with 100 ministers in a room. They told us that by the end of the talks, just about everybody could understand the need for dividing the conference, and the vote was nearly unanimous. The way ministers meetings have been described to me, it takes forever just to get through anything (which might be great if you’re a sleeping preacher).
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:55 am

Wife: also, imagine getting anything done with 100 ministers in a room. They told us that by the end of the talks, just about everybody could understand the need for dividing the conference, and the vote was nearly unanimous. The way ministers meetings have been described to me, it takes forever just to get through anything (which might be great if you’re a sleeping preacher).
Herding cats.
1 x
:hug:
seinetsodumm
Affiliation: Alien

Post by seinetsodumm »

Maybe BMA should learn from this.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:31 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:27 amOh wow. I work with and do business with folks from PMC. Haven't heard a peep. But then, I don't ask either.
This is old news really. We’ve been talking about this for over a year.
SO this actually IS on the table to possibly make a decision on this summer?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:53 pm My guess is it will become an informal fellowship of conferences who may end up sharing various agencies (mutual aid, missions, etc.)

Given the “issues” with a strict hierarchical conference model, this seems like a very good idea.
I expect the same.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"