Where are the Anabaptists in the UK?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Where are the Anabaptists in the UK?

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I love the channel Ready to Harvest. This was a neat and thorough video looking at the very very small number of anabaptist church groups in the UK today.

0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Where are the Anabaptists in the UK?

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:03 pmI love the channel Ready to Harvest. This was a neat and thorough video looking at the very very small number of anabaptist church groups in the UK today.
I have long been under the impression that there have never been large numbers of Anabaptist Christians in the UK...
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:49 pm
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:03 pmI love the channel Ready to Harvest. This was a neat and thorough video looking at the very very small number of anabaptist church groups in the UK today.
I have long been under the impression that there have never been large numbers of Anabaptist Christians in the UK...
Unless you count the Plymouth Brethren.
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Microbiologically speaking, most of us came from somewhere across the pond.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Isn't it generally true that nations who drove out Anabaptists (or similar groups) in the 16th and 17th centuries are mostly Anabaptist free today. Switzerland, France, England...
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:13 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:49 pm
Unless you count the Plymouth Brethren.
Nothing against them, but while they would technically rebaptize anybody baptized as an infant and anybody who wasn't baptized by immersion, from an ecclesio-historical perspective, they were an 1820 nonconformist group that broke from Anglicanism, and were never actually part of the Radical Reformation / Anabaptist movement or its descendants, as I understand it... Unless perhaps I've misunderstood something about them...?

Some of the English Baptist claim some kinship/influence from the continental Anabaptists, but that's another ball of wax. For some reference to this, see: https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/bq/02-1_024.pdf
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

PBs also don’t hold to nonresistance.

The Quakers really occupied the spot in the ecosystem that would be Anabaptist elsewhere. They were quite anti war and also basically pioneered the concept of plain dress (which Anabaptists later appropriated). It would be interesting to see if a conservative Quaker resurgence could happen.

My church has a mission in the UK but nearly all its activity is amongst immigrants. We have an expelled Nigerian member or two as well. Based on the past experience of such church members who go to the UK, the Nigerian church considers someone who moves there to be in spiritual danger.

Long term… I would look to missionaries from Nigeria, Bangladesh, and other such places to eventually be the right ones to spread Anabaptism to the UK and Ireland, or at least to certain people groups there.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:50 pm PBs also don’t hold to nonresistance.
At one time they did, or at least a sizable faction. Was surprised myself when I read the article on the subject.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 pm
At one time they did, or at least a sizable faction. Was surprised myself when I read the article on the subject.
Interesting. I would suspect that was due to Quaker influences.

In my own family lineage, we descend from a line of Quaker preachers, who migrated to PA in the 1700s, who in turn descended from a lady who was married twice, once in Germany and then in England. Her other marriage was to the ancestors of the Anabaptist family known as the Overholts, who also migrated to PA in the 1700s. Interestingly, these two families basically migrated to NC and Ohio around the same time too.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:16 pm
Interesting. I would suspect that was due to Quaker influences.

In my own family lineage, we descend from a line of Quaker preachers, who migrated to PA in the 1700s, who in turn descended from a lady who was married twice, once in Germany and then in England. Her other marriage was to the ancestors of the Anabaptist family known as the Overholts, who also migrated to PA in the 1700s. Interestingly, these two families basically migrated to NC and Ohio around the same time too.
Interestingly enough, if you read either Broadbent or Kennedy, the PB movement is the end destination.
0 x