Business opportunities serving low-tech Anabaptist groups

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Business opportunities serving low-tech Anabaptist groups

Post by Neto »

Program development. Many main-stream programs have moved to a subscription-based business model, and license authentication for those who are still willing to work with businesses that are not on-line can be quite involved, usually involving the assistance of someone who has internet service. It is a huge investment to train employees how to use a software product, only to find that it's useful future is limited because of a change in operating procedures by the software company.

Most businesses need a pretty robust accounting program, and most of the more capable programs have moved to subscription models, even EBMS, which was (as I understand) started by 'Plain People". 3D CAD drawing software.

It is getting to the point where a comprehensive approach would have a definite appeal - Operating System and all. I was approached by an Amish minister (somewhat of a programmer himself) who wanted to see this happen.

A family in our congregation hosts vendor catalogs for Amish-owned businesses. (These are price lists that are only accessible by vendors who have clearance from the product producer.) Or, web-sites. My son used to manage a web-site for a non-plain businessman who specialized in Amish-made farm equipment.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:51 pm
mike wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:46 pm I'm thinking primarily about industries specifically tailored to low-tech Anabaptists.
And that can be provided by high-tech Anabaptists, right?
More specifically, high-tech ethnic Anabaptists who have an ethnic last name and originally came from a low-tech group.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

It’s often said modern Amish businesses in Lanc Co could not exist without UPS. :D
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:27 pm
More specifically, high-tech ethnic Anabaptists who have an ethnic last name and originally came from a low-tech group.
There is more truth to that statement than we would care to admit.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 am
Josh wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:27 pm
There is more truth to that statement than we would care to admit.
However, there are some who will avoid the use of such services if offered by a person who once belonged to their own group. (At least in the past, some Amish would not hire a driver who had been a member of an Amish church.) So I think that when I began my own business (providing tech support for Amish-owned businesses), I may have "profited" from having a completely non-Amish background, with an unfamiliar surname. However, some of my customers among what I call the "conservative Beachy Amish-Mennonites" are actually from my own ethnic heritage, so "Buller" is not an unfamiliar "outsider" name to them. In fact, the only other Bullers I know of in this part of Ohio (specifically, Wayne County) are CoGiCM.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:16 pm Anabaptists who don't use certain technologies present a unique set of business opportunities for those interested in meeting their resulting needs. We've seen this a long time in providing transportation for plain groups who will not drive vehicles, but will hire others to do so. In this discussion, list similar opportunities that you are aware of, or some possibilities that might develop. Here are a few that came quickly to mind, some of which have been flourishing for awhile.

Selling curated offline Internet content
Digital marketing for businesses
Frozen food storage facilities
Transportation
Communications (such as converting emails to faxes and vice versa)
Providing world news, news about Plain People, and hospitality options, etc. (via email, fax, or snail mail)
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:15 pm

Providing world news, news about Plain People, and hospitality options, etc. (via email, fax, or snail mail)
I think that is called the Budget.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 pm

He didn't include touting miracle-like natural cures, can't be the Budget.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:32 pm

I can definitely remember some cannabis oil ads coming through.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:32 pm

:lol: I confess that I do enjoy reading The Budget, particularly the stories from the various communities. They are an interesting chronicle of life.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God