Preparation for Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Preparation for Baptism

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:43 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:42 pm I know of four or five vocal proponents among the main OGBB groups (Old Conference, New Conference, and the ultra conservative OGBC bunch that pulled out of OC back in 2020), but it's mostly died out among them, is not openly preached, and is rarely openly admitted or promoted by any OGBBs who might still lean that way.
OGBC?
"Old German Baptist Church" - as with most break-offs, their desire to be "more original" than all the rest of us whom they see as drifting into worldliness in some area or another, led them to apply an early (ie. older) denominational moniker, one that was used before "Brethren" was formally added.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 am
MaxPC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:43 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:42 pm I know of four or five vocal proponents among the main OGBB groups (Old Conference, New Conference, and the ultra conservative OGBC bunch that pulled out of OC back in 2020), but it's mostly died out among them, is not openly preached, and is rarely openly admitted or promoted by any OGBBs who might still lean that way.
OGBC?
"Old German Baptist Church" - as with most break-offs, in their desire to be "more original" than all the rest of us they see as drifting into worldliness in some area or another, so they reverted back to an early group name (before Brethren was formally added).
Thank you. How does the ultra conservatism compare to the Old Conference? Buggies instead of vehicles?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 am
MaxPC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:43 pmOGBC?
"Old German Baptist Church" - as with most break-offs, in their desire to be "more original" than all the rest of us they see as drifting into worldliness in some area or another, so they reverted back to an early group name (before Brethren was formally added).
Thank you. How does the ultra conservatism compare to the Old Conference? Buggies instead of vehicles?
No. Their chief complaint was that they wanted more conservativity in dress and uniformity across the group, more rigid adherence to conference decisions, and less technology (especially Internet related) among their group, plus they felt that the original group wasn't cracking down as hard as they (the ultra-conservatives) wanted to see. There was a younger generation (30s-50s) rising up among them that were (are) somewhat the recipients of a revisionist history that imagines and pursues a more conservative Brethren utopia from the past than ever actually existed in the days of their grandparents and great grandparents, and a few of the more radical older ones helped to spur them on until it got tense enough that the new group finally pulled out of the Old Conference...
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 am
MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 am
Heirbyadoption wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:40 am"Old German Baptist Church" - as with most break-offs, in their desire to be "more original" than all the rest of us they see as drifting into worldliness in some area or another, so they reverted back to an early group name (before Brethren was formally added).
No. Their chief complaint was that they wanted more conservativity in dress and uniformity across the group, more rigid adherence to conference decisions, and less technology (especially Internet related) among their group, plus they felt that the original group wasn't cracking down as hard as they (the ultra-conservatives) wanted to see. There was a younger generation (30s-50s) rising up among them that were (are) somewhat the recipients of a revisionist history that imagines and pursues a more conservative Brethren utopia from the past than ever actually existed in the days of their grandparents and great grandparents, and a few of the more radical older ones helped to spur them on until it got tense enough that the new group finally pulled out of the Old Conference...
I am sorry to hear there was division. That is always uncomfortable and difficult for families at such times.

When OGBBs settle in an area, is it a community decision or an individual family decision?

I hear from a relative that the GA New Conference moved to southeast TN. Is that true?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I'm open to baptizing someone the same day, or take 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever it takes to get a person ready for baptism.

I've never understood why churches feel a need to have a set period of time for baptism preparation such as, no shorter than _____ and not longer than ________.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm I'm open to baptizing someone the same day, or take 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever it takes to get a person ready for baptism.

I've never understood why churches feel a need to have a set period of time for baptism preparation such as, no shorter than _____ and not longer than ________.
A lot of us are just so much more comfortable with a set routine. I think some of us have difficulty appreciating the unsettledness and chaos generated by policies that offer so much room for the whims of the moment to dictate how any specific scenario will play out.

A set procedure helps to reduce the opportunity for things to get missed. The goal of instruction class is to help insure that the basic doctrines of Christianity have been discussed with the candidate for baptism in an organized fashion.

There's also a certain sense of community and brotherhood that is developed by working through things as a group when possible. Among my church brethren there is a wariness against too quickly separating out slow learners and fast learners in school to work at a different pace, as well as against using curriculum designed for each student to work at his/her own pace, as this can feed the prevailing cultural pressure for each person to be his own man, to develop to his full potential, to forge ahead and make something of himself on his own without being hampered by those around him. By contrast, community and fellowship is built by the strong and able slowing their steps to support the slow and week and all moving forward as a group.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm I'm open to baptizing someone the same day, or take 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, whatever it takes to get a person ready for baptism.

A lot of us are just so much more comfortable with a set routine. I think some of us have difficulty appreciating the unsettledness and chaos generated by policies that offer so much room for the whims of the moment to dictate how any specific scenario will play out.

A set procedure helps to reduce the opportunity for things to get missed. The goal of instruction class is to help insure that the basic doctrines of Christianity have been discussed with the candidate for baptism in an organized fashion.

There's also a certain sense of community and brotherhood that is developed by working through things as a group when possible. Among my church brethren there is a wariness against too quickly separating out slow learners and fast learners in school to work at a different pace, as well as against using curriculum designed for each student to work at his/her own pace, as this can feed the prevailing cultural pressure for each person to be his own man, to develop to his full potential, to forge ahead and make something of himself on his own without being hampered by those around him. By contrast, community and fellowship is built by the strong and able slowing their steps to support the slow and week and all moving forward as a group.
Another I thought of, is that baptizing one person in one day, and another 3 years, is determined by who exactly? Probably not going to be left up to the applicant. So now we are going to not only have no sense of what to expect in terms of normal timing, we also are chucking into the event an X factor, which is prone to abuse, or accusations of abuse and discrimination, by the applicant and their family.
“The preacher doesn’t like me. I don’t have the right pedigree. Sniffle, sniffle.”

In theory, yes, I could be very flexible with timing. And in practice we actually are. But I definitely see the pro’s of having a normal time range of expectations.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think a maximum time is good. One church I tried to join took forever to get through Heatwole’s instruction book. Summer classes kept getting cancelled because youth or middle schoolers in the same baptismal class would have families go on vacation. So it took 2 years to get through.

Eventually I got the good sense not to join there, but the process was quite demoralising and effectively amounts to hazing. Other sincere converts I took there were likewise frustrated, and a church with such practices will end up having zero evangelism.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Acts 8:35-39 -
Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.
What was the requirement by Philip when asked about what hindered the eunuch from being baptised ? 'Believing with all your heart'. Believe what ? 'I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God'. That was good enough for Philip to baptise him but I guess today many don't think it is enough to have a single sermon about Jesus and who He is. And I guess Philip also forgot to remind him now to go home and become a member of a local church.

Just saying if this was all that was required to be ready to be baptised for the eunuch, then why make it so more difficult for anyone else ? Unless more is read into what water baptism is about which some have even to the point of salvation.

Same goes for the 3,000 on the day of Pentecost. Peter preached to who ? 'Fellow Jews and all who live in Jerusalem'. What did Peter preach ? He preached about Jesus. They asked what they should do. Peter said to repent and be baptised. So they did. Did they all join a local church ? Only says they were added to 'their number'. What number ? Number of those who believe in Jesus as there were no local churches yet with formal church membership requirements.

Seems to me some delays regarding water baptism has more to do with man's assessment of whether or not someone has truly believed in Jesus in a saving way and are now qualified to be baptised. I don't see this as something promoted in scripture. The only criteria I read is a statement regarding one's belief in Jesus as the Son of God. If that is not a belief of the heart and just words to perhaps qualify to join a local church, then that person got wet and that is all that happened.

This preparation thing did get started later in the early church and they included fasting in this also. However, few I know have agreed to follow the Didache instructions on fasting before water baptism. It didn't take man long to 'one up' on what the NT pattern was and man continues to do it still today. And all these additional things are considered to be Spirit lead. Really ? The Holy Spirit is the originator of all these variations within Christian baptism and other beliefs ? Even by those who take pride in being the most accurate to the scriptures, they can't agree.

So, with all that said :oops: :) , is there any scriptural base for 'preparation for Baptism' aside from a confession of belief in Jesus as the eunuch put it that he believed that 'Jesus Christ is the Son of God' ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

There is definitely an NT scriptural basis for both church membership and regular church attendance. I’m not sure why so many Christians are opposed to such things.
0 x