Preparation for Baptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Preparation for Baptism

Post by MaxPC »

In Anabaptist World, what kind of methods are used to prepare individuals for baptism? E.g. some Hutterian communities have 2 months of classes and use a written catechism that the individuals study and memorise.

Is that the method used in your fellowship? Or is there another method?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Preparation for Baptism

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am In Anabaptist World, what kind of methods are used to prepare individuals for baptism? E.g. some Hutterian communities have 2 months of classes and use a written catechism that the individuals study and memorise.

I am not aware of any Anabaptists that refer to anything we do as a “catechism”.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:03 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am In Anabaptist World, what kind of methods are used to prepare individuals for baptism? E.g. some Hutterian communities have 2 months of classes and use a written catechism that the individuals study and memorise.

I am not aware of any Anabaptists that refer to anything we do as a “catechism”.
Although we do not refer to it as such, we generally have a series of classes taught during Sunday School hour. They cover basic Bible doctrine. We have used this book in the past:

https://christianlight.org/books/christ ... le-studies
1 x
:hug:
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:45 am

Although we do not refer to it as such, we generally have a series of classes taught during Sunday School hour. They cover basic Bible doctrine. We have used this book in the past:

Do you have a designated length of preparation time? Do you memorise sections of the book?

The Hutterian communities call their prep books a catechism. I cannot recall at the moment the title of the book but it is a thin volume of teachings with Scriptures.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

We ask prospective members to attend a series of 10 classes during the Sunday School hour. The content is based on the 1963 Mennonite Confession of Faith (available on-line) and is lead by various members of the leadership team. The goal is to raise as many questions as possible before membership so there are fewer misunderstandings or unmet expectations after. There is no memorization. For example, last Sunday I lead the class on the role of the Holy Spirit so there were stories about previous churches attended and the various beliefs and practices they had experienced.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:49 am

Do you have a designated length of preparation time? Do you memorise sections of the book?

The Hutterian communities call their prep books a catechism. I cannot recall at the moment the title of the book but it is a thin volume of teachings with Scriptures.
The ones I was around didn’t call it a catechism, and when speaking amongst themselves, would probably have used a Hutterisch or German word.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

barnhart wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:06 am We ask prospective members to attend a series of 10 classes during the Sunday School hour. The content is based on the 1963 Mennonite Confession of Faith (available on-line) and is lead by various members of the leadership team. The goal is to raise as many questions as possible before membership so there are fewer misunderstandings or unmet expectations after. There is no memorization. For example, last Sunday I lead the class on the role of the Holy Spirit so there were stories about previous churches attended and the various beliefs and practices they had experienced.
Do you use a standard published book or do you create your own materials?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

1963 Mennonite Confession of Faith
1 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:49 am

We do not require anything to be memorized or recited, just understood. We also discuss the 1963 Mennonite confession of faith.
1 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

None of the brethren groups we were part of really had such a thing as "New Believers" classes or anything like that. And for the most part, baptisms happen at random whenever the occasion arises. The applicant may get a visit from maybe two members of leadership prior to make sure the applicant is solid in their beliefs and commitment, but that is typically it.

Even in our current "progressive" church, we don't have a schedule when baptisms take place and whoever wants to can sign up. In fact, just because we baptize you doesn't always mean you must commit to full membership. We have such a thing called "associate membership" where we will baptize someone and they have 18 months to decide whether they want full membership or not.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!