Hindus, Muslims, and Christians

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Hindus, Muslims, and Christians

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:00 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:12 pm It is never wrong to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
And if that is your attitude then you have no business being a public school teacher or holding any other public job in which as a consequence of your job you are given a captive audience of people who have no choice in the matter but to interact with you. Nor should you be signing an employment contract (which all teachers must sign) in which you agree to abide by the rules of your employer. One of which is to avoid proselytizing to the children who are assigned to your care.

When you sign an employment contract to be a teacher, you are agreeing to the terms of that contract. One of which is that you are a representative of the state and not your church during your working hours. When you are on your own time you are free to do whatever you want.
A follower of Jesus is a representative of Christ’s kingdom 24/7. No man can serve two masters.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:12 pm It is never wrong to share the good news of Jesus Christ.
And if that is your attitude then you have no business being a public school teacher or holding any other public job in which as a consequence of your job you are given a captive audience of people who have no choice in the matter but to interact with you. Nor should you be signing an employment contract (which all teachers must sign) in which you agree to abide by the rules of your employer. One of which is to avoid proselytizing to the children who are assigned to your care.

When you sign an employment contract to be a teacher, you are agreeing to the terms of that contract. One of which is that you are a representative of the state and not your church during your working hours. When you are on your own time you are free to do whatever you want.
A follower of Jesus is a representative of Christ’s kingdom 24/7. No man can serve two masters.
So there should be no Christians working as school teachers in the US? Or in any other public service job?

That's your position?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:50 pm

So there should be no Christians working as school teachers in the US? Or in any other public service job?

That's your position?
If you think that's what Josh's position is you certainly haven't been paying attention.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:07 am

That's your position?
If you think that's what Josh's position is you certainly haven't been paying attention.
That is the actual implication of what Josh has written here. He has written in this thread:
  • "It is never wrong to share the good news of Jesus Christ."
  • "And the Bible commands us to share the gospel, and to obey God rather than men."
  • "A follower of Jesus is a representative of Christ’s kingdom 24/7. No man can serve two masters."
In response to my pointing out that every public school teacher must sign an employment contract in which they agree not to do those things when in the classroom. Because they when a teacher is on the job they are literally representatives of the state.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:40 am

That's your position?
That is the actual implication of what Josh has written here. He has written in this thread:
  • "And the Bible commands us to share the gospel, and to obey God rather than men."
  • "A follower of Jesus is a representative of Christ’s kingdom 24/7. No man can serve two masters."
In response to my pointing out that every public school teacher must sign an employment contract in which they agree not to do those things when in the classroom. Because they when a teacher is on the job they are literally representatives of the state.
I couldn’t sign that myself. More and more jobs are requiring this sort of thing spelled out pretty specifically too.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:40 am

That's your position?
If a schoolteacher contract told me to discriminate against certain students based on race, I would simply ignore it, because telling me to do such a thing is wrong. Brave people have stood against such kind of things in the past, often very quietly, which is one of the most effective ways to do good.

A schoolteacher contract commanding a Christian to stop being a Christian during the school day can likewise be ignored.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:43 amI couldn’t sign that myself. More and more jobs are requiring this sort of thing spelled out pretty specifically too.
Teaching contracts don't spell everything out. Instead they usually say something like the following:
  • Employee will perform such duties as the School may reasonably assign and Employee will abide by all School policies and procedures as adopted and amended from time to time.
By signing the contract, you are agreeing to abide by school district policies, which incorporate by reference all state an Federal law regarding education. And that includes, not proselytizing in a public school classroom. Which the Supreme Court has made very clear is impermissible under the Constitution.

And should you decide to violate the terms of your contract you can be dismissed for cause.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 pm Teaching contracts don't spell everything out. Instead they usually say something like the following:
  • Employee will perform such duties as the School may reasonably assign and Employee will abide by all School policies and procedures as adopted and amended from time to time.
By signing the contract, you are agreeing to abide by school district policies, which incorporate by reference all state an Federal law regarding education. And that includes, not proselytizing in a public school classroom. Which the Supreme Court has made very clear is impermissible under the Constitution.
I don’t care. My code of conduct is the Bible and it overrides anything that goes against God’s Word, such as many Supreme Court decisions. God is the ultimate judge.
And should you decide to violate the terms of your contract you can be dismissed for cause.
Paul and Silas were sent to prison. We must obey God rather than men.

The school employee I mentioned earlier feels the same. He has won multiple precious souls for Christ. He cares about that a lot more than losing his job.

Interestingly, he hasn’t been fired yet either.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:25 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 pm Teaching contracts don't spell everything out. Instead they usually say something like the following:
I don’t care. My code of conduct is the Bible and it overrides anything that goes against God’s Word, such as many Supreme Court decisions. God is the ultimate judge.

The school employee I mentioned earlier feels the same. He has won multiple precious souls for Christ. He cares about that a lot more than losing his job.

So which is it?

1. Are you like Soloist and could not sign a contract in which you agree follow district policy and the law and not proselytize in your classroom? or

2. Are you willing to violate God's law and commit the sin of lying and bearing false witness when you sign your employment contract because in your opinion you are doing it for a good reason?

It is either one or the other.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:06 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:25 pm

So which is it?

1. Are you like Soloist and could not sign a contract in which you agree follow district policy and the law and not proselytize in your classroom? or

2. Are you willing to violate God's law and commit the sin of lying and bearing false witness when you sign your employment contract because in your opinion you are doing it for a good reason?

It is either one or the other.
If that contract also has a clause in it that says you have read it and understand it, then you're kind of screwed to start with, right?
0 x