Hindus, Muslims, and Christians

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Hindus, Muslims, and Christians

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:18 pm

So yes, it is a little bit like speeding. Maybe you'll get away with it, maybe for a long time. But maybe not. And in any event, you are still violating our professional duties and knowingly violating the contract that you signed. That does mean something to most people.
So in essence, you do it or at least don’t see an issue within a certain range of noncompliance.

I am pretty positive you speed yet you agreed by receiving your license to follow the laws. Exactly the same scenario on paper.
Again, what is actually enforced will dictate if you keep your job or not.
The implications are that if you speed yet agreed not to, that other aspects would be treated the same way.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:53 pm I am going to assume based off of your non-answer that you understand the point I was making and don’t actually have a sound argument against it.
The law is actually pretty clear and explicit.
The Constitution does not, however, prohibit school employees themselves from engaging in private prayer during the workday where they are not acting in their official capacities and where their prayer does not result in any coercion of students. Before school or during breaks, for instance, teachers may meet with other teachers for prayer or religious study to the same extent that they may engage in other conversation or nonreligious activities. School employees may also engage in private religious expression or brief personal religious observance during such times, subject to the same neutral rules the school applies to other private conduct by its employees. Employees engaging in such expression or observance may not, however, compel, coerce, persuade, or encourage students to join in the employee's prayer or other religious activity, and a school may take reasonable measures to ensure that students are not pressured or encouraged to join in the private prayer of their teachers or coaches.
and
Public schools may not provide religious instruction, but they may teach about religion and promote religious liberty and respect for the religious views (or lack thereof) of all. For example, philosophical questions concerning religion, the history of religion, comparative religion, religious texts as literature, and the role of religion in the history of the United States and other countries are all permissible public school subjects. Similarly, it is permissible to study religious influences on philosophy, art, music, literature, and social studies. For example, public schools generally may allow student choirs to perform music inspired by or based on religious themes or texts as part of school-sponsored activities and events, provided that the music is not performed as a religious exercise and is not used to promote or favor religion generally, a particular religion, or a religious belief.

Although public schools may teach about religious holidays, including their religious aspects, and may celebrate the secular aspects of holidays, schools may not observe holidays as religious events, nor may schools promote or disparage such observance by students.
How does this work in practice? Teachers actually spend most of their day out of sight of administrators or other teachers. You are in your classroom alone with your teachers unless you are in some sort of team teaching situation. So is there a highway cop standing around to step in? Of course not.

What would actually happen and what would be the consequences if you chose to violate these standards? Maybe nothing. Or maybe a student will tell their parents or complain to another teacher or counselor about your behavior. In this day and age, maybe a student will record you on their cell phone and post it online and you get to be the teacher who goes viral on twitter proselyting in a public school classroom.

Either way you will be forcing your district to address the situation and you will end up in some sort of disciplinary hearing. And your administrators and maybe some district administrator will decide what to do. At a minimum you'd be warned to stop. If they want to get rid of you anyway for any reason, you just gave them the excuse to fire you. If you don't stop and it becomes a repeat problem any parent might file a complaint with the State Board of Education and they might open an investigation and decide to suspend your teaching license which doesn't just mean you are fired, it means you can't work anywhere in the state and possibly not in any other state either, since they share information on teachers who have had their licenses stripped. And a standard question on any teacher employment application is whether you have been subject to any disciplinary proceedings or had your license stripped in any state.

So yes, it is a little bit like speeding. Maybe you'll get away with it, maybe for a long time. But maybe not. And in any event, you are still violating our professional duties and knowingly violating the contract that you signed. That does mean something to most people.
Apparently though the law is difficult for some in Washington to understand though. Consider how assistant football coach Joe Kennedy lost his job because of engaging in constitutionally protected activity on the football field.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:44 pm

So in essence, you do it or at least don’t see an issue within a certain range of noncompliance.

I am pretty positive you speed yet you agreed by receiving your license to follow the laws. Exactly the same scenario on paper.
The implications are that if you speed yet agreed not to, that other aspects would be treated the same way.
I'm not aware of any state that conditions issuance of a drivers license on the driver agreeing to follow the laws. I'm sure I never promised the state that I wouldn't speed.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:48 pm

I'm not aware of any state that conditions issuance of a drivers license on the driver agreeing to follow the laws. I'm sure I never promised the state that I wouldn't speed.
An ordinary drivers license is not the correct comparison. A commercial truck driving license would be a better comparison. And yes, I suspect many trucking companies would fire you in a heartbeat if you are not following highway rules. And probably have words to that effect in their employment contracts. In fact, many of them put GPS trackers on their trucks to ensure that you do follow the law. Same thing with commercial bus drivers. Flaunt the law as a commercial bus driver or pilot and see how long you last in the profession. They are far more strict than teaching.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once again, I don’t see anywhere in my Bible it says to stop sharing the gospel, including just because a government says not to.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 pm Once again, I don’t see anywhere in my Bible it says to stop sharing the gospel, including just because a government says not to.
Is your Bible missing Romans 13?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:53 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:48 pm

An ordinary drivers license is not the correct comparison. A commercial truck driving license would be a better comparison. And yes, I suspect many trucking companies would fire you in a heartbeat if you are not following highway rules. And probably have words to that effect in their employment contracts. In fact, many of them put GPS trackers on their trucks to ensure that you do follow the law. Same thing with commercial bus drivers. Flaunt the law as a commercial bus driver or pilot and see how long you last in the profession. They are far more strict than teaching.
:lol:
Don't have to make any promises to the state in order to get a CDL either. And no, most trucking companies aren't going to show you the door the moment you violate regulation unless you were being an idiot or you made somebody mad. In fact, believe it or not, a lot of truckers haven't signed any kind of employment contract.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:37 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 pm Once again, I don’t see anywhere in my Bible it says to stop sharing the gospel, including just because a government says not to.
I never saw anything in Romans 13 about not sharing the gospel. What for Bible do you have?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:47 pm
I never saw anything in Romans 13 about not sharing the gospel. What for Bible do you have?
My version of Romans 13 reads as follows:

• Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
In this case the governing authorities are not telling you to never share the gospel. You are absolutely free to do that on your own time. What the governing authorities are saying is that, while you are representing the state in a pluralistic society in which church and state are separate spheres, you should refrain from proselytizing to the captive audience of students whom the state has placed in your care.

The state is also telling you that if you voluntarily agree to the terms of the employment contract that you signed, then you should honor your word and comply with its terms. Which, by the way, God also commands you to do in the 10 Commandments and in Matthew 5. And that if you are unwilling to do so then you should find another profession. Rather than one in which you must lie to gain employment.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:37 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:47 pm

My version of Romans 13 reads as follows:

• Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
In this case the governing authorities are not telling you to never share the gospel. You are absolutely free to do that on your own time. What the governing authorities are saying is that, while you are representing the state in a pluralistic society in which church and state are separate spheres, you should refrain from proselytizing to the captive audience of students whom the state has placed in your care.
Acts 4 wrote:And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.
0 x