The Anabaptist perception towards U.S. Holidays!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Pick your three favorite U.S. holidays.

Valentines Day
6%
Independence Day (July 4th)
6%
Ascension Day
3%
Labor Day
3%
Halloween
No votes
Memorial Day
3%
New Years Day
3%
Easter
19%
Christmas Day
28%
Thanksgiving Day
31%

Total votes: 36

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The Anabaptist perception towards U.S. Holidays!

Post by steve-in-kville »

I can't believe Easter weekend is upon us already!

I googled the top U.S. holidays and came up with over twenty results. I am limited to ten, so if I missed a favorite of yours, please list it in the replies. Some are religious in nature, others are not.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards U.S. Holidays!

Post by Josh »

Easter isn’t a US holiday and most people don’t get it off. Businesses closed for it is basically something found in heavy Amish areas, plus a handful of places like Louisiana. Ascension Day isn’t either.

Your list is missing Presidents Day, MLK Jr Day, Juneteenth, Columbus Day, and Veterans Day.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Pagan holidays are at the bottom of my list followed closely by patriot days.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

The only holidays I could say I really enjoy are Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was stumped for a third. I selected Valentine's Day just because it is kind of fun to buy my wife something.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am Pagan holidays are at the bottom of my list followed closely by patriot days.
What pagan holidays are listed? I suppose All Saint’s Eve (Halloween) might vaguely be that.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

The four that stand out to me are Resurrection Sunday, Christmas, Thanksgiving and Ascension Day because we have group celebration for these. The rest I treat as times to meet with friends and neighbors or catch up on lagging tasks.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am Pagan holidays are at the bottom of my list followed closely by patriot days.
What pagan holidays are listed? I suppose All Saint’s Eve (Halloween) might vaguely be that.

By practice, Christmas, Halloween, Easter and valentine’s Day.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
mike

Post by mike »

Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

I basically throw most holidays in the same boat whether they are "pagan" or not pagan. There is absolutely no biblical injunction to celebrate holidays of any sort, and that includes Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other days that Christians may traditionally celebrate. I don't mind taking the day off for some of those but it has nothing to do with whether I think they are sacred or pagan in origin.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

mike wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

I basically throw most holidays in the same boat whether they are "pagan" or not pagan. There is absolutely no biblical injunction to celebrate holidays of any sort, and that includes Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other days that Christians may traditionally celebrate. I don't mind taking the day off for some of those but it has nothing to do with whether I think they are sacred or pagan in origin.
Not only is there no mandate, Romans teaches believers not to judge others how they celebrate holidays.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

barnhart wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 am
mike wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

Not only is there no mandate, Romans teaches believers not to judge others how they celebrate holidays.
Exactly, and that includes any "holy" days including the Sabbath or Sunday worship.
0 x