How would you discern this marriage situation?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

See first post.

Total votes: 0

Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: How would you discern this marriage situation?

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:
temporal1 wrote:are you seeking CM views, or all views?
I would be seeking views of people who have a strict view on divorce and remarriage. Virtually anyone else would find this whole situation ridiculous to even talk about.
Hmmm. imo, I have 'a strict view on divorce and remarriage'. It just isn't the same as some Anabaptists here.

For those who care to read on, my thoughts -

Imo, making a verbal promise and/or pledging written vows and/or giving an engagement ring and/or the sexual joining of two people prior to a wedding ceremony, then backing out from a permanent binding of togetherness are sins needing to be repented and would be like a divorce in the sense that a 'joining together' has been broken by man. Repentance is required involving admitting this is wrong and purposing in one's heart, by the help of God, not to do this again.

When does God view two people as 'joined together' where man is not to interfere ? Imo, it is quite prior to the wedding ceremony itself and not when man draws the line regarding being permanently 'joined together'.

If I compare this to being 'married to Jesus' as we are His bride, was I married and part of that bride at the water baptism ceremony or before that when I was born of the Spirit and committed my life (joined to) Him ? I would suggest the latter and the water baptism ceremony was to picture what had already taken place.

We all make mistakes and some willfully but God is a forgiving God and when we do stray from His original plans, He still forgives and provides a new beginning. He doesn't ask us to forgive 70 x 7 and then forgives less than that. However, there are consequences that follow our sinning and this is where some of us view these consequence differently.

My strict 'view on divorce and remarriage' is that when a divorce happens (and there are are many reasons they occur), God is especially concerned about our knowing we sinned and resolving to not let it happen again in a new marriage (should it be pursued) as His desire is for a 'permanent joining together' that we will not break. True repentance. By the grace of God, never to have it happen again. As Paul says, should we continue sinning (as in breaking up a 'joining together') so grace may abound, 'God forbid'. Are there adverse consequences from man breaking up this 'joined together' state ? For sure. It is not inline with the best life God has outlined for us. Divorce should be discouraged and every possible way for reconciliation be pursued. However, and this is where some of us disagree, God does forgive sin and like the prodigal son story, He gives us a new beginning to get it right. I'm sure thankful He did that for me.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: How would you discern this marriage situation?

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
temporal1 wrote:are you seeking CM views, or all views?
I would be seeking views of people who have a strict view on divorce and remarriage. Virtually anyone else would find this whole situation ridiculous to even talk about.
logical. but, not often the case on this forum. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN