Catholic to Anabaptist

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Catholic to Anabaptist

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 pm I took some classes by Stephen Russell at Faith Builders. He's a great teacher and writer and a good man.
:D as i listened, esp wrt FAITH BUILDERS, i thought of quite a few members that probably knew him.

i think everyone on forum should have a passing knowledge of Faith Builders. it used to be discussed frequently.
part of Anabaptism 101. :)

a lot of what he said made me think of new member, plain, and (her?) interest in evangelism.
also, as he described, he, and we all, are priests.

i hope plain views his video.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

I know Stephen, but not really well. His journey out of Catholicism was directly into Anabaptism, mine was via an evangelical/holiness church. I had differences with the Roman Catholic Church that were doctrinal, far beyond nonresistance. (Transubstantiation, where is final authority, confession and absolution by a priest being required, the ability to state people are going to hell for breaking the RCCs rules ect.) I did not go to Catholic school, since my parents could not register in the parish, I checked out of the RCC, and came to Christ about 5 years later.

That being said, you would likely be surprised how many non-Mennonite background people are from Catholic backgrounds. Most would see me as having come from a Evangelical/Holiness church.
1 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:34 pm I know Stephen, but not really well. His journey out of Catholicism was directly into Anabaptism, mine was via an evangelical/holiness church. I had differences with the Roman Catholic Church that were doctrinal, far beyond nonresistance. (Transubstantiation, where is final authority, confession and absolution by a priest being required, the ability to state people are going to hell for breaking the RCCs rules ect.) I did not go to Catholic school, since my parents could not register in the parish, I checked out of the RCC, and came to Christ about 5 years later.

That being said, you would likely be surprised how many non-Mennonite background people are from Catholic backgrounds. Most would see me as having come from a Evangelical/Holiness church.
^^Thank you, JM. i was hoping you’d stop by. Hoping for others, too. Wade hasn’t posted in a long while.
For as long as i can remember, i’ve enjoyed learning about others’ faith walks.
There’s something special about first-person testimony.

Here’s another recorded example that just appeared:

Recorded in 2018 / Anabaptist Perspectves / My Journey to the Mennonites — Samantha Trenkamp — Ep. 022 / -11min
✏️ Description:
What is it like to become an Anabaptist?
What does following the Bible and obeying Christ in all of life look like?

Listen as Samantha shares her testimony of how God directed her life, bringing her to a saving faith in Him while surrounding her with people dedicated to serving Christ and loving others.

Being part of the body of Christ is such a blessing.
We hope this episode encourages you to continue pursuing Christ, realizing that following His ways regardless of the outcome is the most important decision a person can make.

Found in Comments:
✏️ @katelyn1384 WROTE:
4 years ago
I’m a traditional Roman Catholic, so obviously we disagree on certain things, but I would like to sincerely thank you for the respect you show to those with whom you disagree. It isn’t often that you find that.

Also, I greatly admire your modesty and simplicity.
I’m saddened by the lack of modesty in modern Catholic women and I pray that it will change someday soon.
God bless you and guide you both!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 pm Killing a person means, well, killing them. As in you make them become dead.

I don’t think there is room for different opinions on this.
I won't get into it any further here but look closely at what Jesus and James had to say about murder and how it goes beyond physically killing someone.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:34 pm I know Stephen, but not really well. His journey out of Catholicism was directly into Anabaptism, mine was via an evangelical/holiness church. I had differences with the Roman Catholic Church that were doctrinal, far beyond nonresistance. (Transubstantiation, where is final authority, confession and absolution by a priest being required, the ability to state people are going to hell for breaking the RCCs rules ect.) I did not go to Catholic school, since my parents could not register in the parish, I checked out of the RCC, and came to Christ about 5 years later.

Regarding the bolded above, do Catholics still do this? If so, where and how?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:19 pm

The RCC teaches that those who persist in mortal sin and refuse to repent are excommunicated. If they die unrepentant then the Church states they are not in heaven nor even purgatory.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus

1963. There was a very popular young priest assigned to our parish. He was the one who taught my first communion class. The parish had a school, one of the nuns that taught there was well liked, we were all hopeful that she would be our CCD teacher, as we who were not in catholic school had to go on Saturday morning. She was the only nun that did not hit students that spoke out of turn with a metal ruler. Both this priest and this nun disappeared at the same time. They ran off and got married. We were told, sternly by our CCD teacher that they had committed a mortal sin, had been excommunicated in a manner that only the Pope could forgive. I just did not see it that way, and neither did my parents.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:54 pm

1963. There was a very popular young priest assigned to our parish. He was the one who taught my first communion class. The parish had a school, one of the nuns that taught there was well liked, we were all hopeful that she would be our CCD teacher, as we who were not in catholic school had to go on Saturday morning. She was the only nun that did not hit students that spoke out of turn with a metal ruler. Both this priest and this nun disappeared at the same time. They ran off and got married. We were told, sternly by our CCD teacher that they had committed a mortal sin, had been excommunicated in a manner that only the Pope could forgive. I just did not see it that way, and neither did my parents.
Without having all the facts first hand, it would be tough slog to make a judgment on a tale told by a third party.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus

MaxPC wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:01 pm
Without having all the facts first hand, it would be tough slog to make a judgment on a tale told by a third party.
Yeah, i only know what i was told. My parents had heard the exact same thing, so it was being spread around the parish. The fact that she was a fully professed sister, and he a priest apparently was the outrage. It was clear they were never coming back. BTW, they were the only ones in the lot of them that really seemed to connect. At the same time, there was another priest there who made the Maryland Attorney General’s list. If I recall, they transferred him. Nothing said, but the word was out to stay away from him, that much I do remember.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: I don’t suppose his last name would have been Sattler? :mrgreen: I agree that we don’t have the whole story, so I don’t know if it was more than just breaking their vows. I don’t suppose they stayed Catholic, or do you know?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat