Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Catholic to Anabaptist

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:03 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:54 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:19 pm
Regarding the bolded above, do Catholics still do this? If so, where and how?
1963. There was a very popular young priest assigned to our parish. He was the one who taught my first communion class. The parish had a school, one of the nuns that taught there was well liked, we were all hopeful that she would be our CCD teacher, as we who were not in catholic school had to go on Saturday morning. She was the only nun that did not hit students that spoke out of turn with a metal ruler. Both this priest and this nun disappeared at the same time. They ran off and got married. We were told, sternly by our CCD teacher that they had committed a mortal sin, had been excommunicated in a manner that only the Pope could forgive. I just did not see it that way, and neither did my parents.
Wife: I don’t suppose his last name would have been Sattler? :mrgreen: I agree that we don’t have the whole story, so I don’t know if it was more than just breaking their vows. I don’t suppose they stayed Catholic, or do you know?
Actually one of my friends said he saw them at their Lutheran church. If that was the case, they would have been welcomed.
0 x
:hug:
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:33 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:54 pm
1963. There was a very popular young priest assigned to our parish. He was the one who taught my first communion class. The parish had a school, one of the nuns that taught there was well liked, we were all hopeful that she would be our CCD teacher, as we who were not in catholic school had to go on Saturday morning. She was the only nun that did not hit students that spoke out of turn with a metal ruler. Both this priest and this nun disappeared at the same time. They ran off and got married. We were told, sternly by our CCD teacher that they had committed a mortal sin, had been excommunicated in a manner that only the Pope could forgive. I just did not see it that way, and neither did my parents.
Wife: I don’t suppose his last name would have been Sattler? :mrgreen: I agree that we don’t have the whole story, so I don’t know if it was more than just breaking their vows. I don’t suppose they stayed Catholic, or do you know?
Actually one of my friends said he saw them at their Lutheran church. If that was the case, they would have been welcomed.
ELCA? i imagine, yes.
Lutherans have different synods, they vary, i’m not sure to what extent.

Beings Martin Luther was a priest/monk who married a runaway nun .. one would guess they would be welcome.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:45 pm
ELCA? i imagine, yes.

Beings Martin Luther was a priest/monk who married a runaway nun .. one would guess they would be welcome.
I would not remember. Long time ago, but, yes there is a bit of irony there. If indeed they wound up there, they might have even let them open the reformation day service.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:55 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:33 pm Actually one of my friends said he saw them at their Lutheran church. If that was the case, they would have been welcomed.
ELCA? i imagine, yes.

I would not remember. Long time ago, but, yes there is a bit of irony there. If indeed they wound up there, they might have even let them open the reformation day service.
i’m rusty, too. it was pretty dramatic. i think Katharine was a very hard worker.
https://www.pbs.org/empires/martinluthe ... 20nobleman.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:37 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:55 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:45 pm ELCA? i imagine, yes.

i’m rusty, too. it was pretty dramatic. i think Katharine was a very hard worker.
It would been impossible for Luther to run his "seminary" without Katerina Von Bora. She was an administrative genius. We have letters that open with "I am writing this letter because Katerina says I must....
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:57 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:37 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:55 pm I would not remember. Long time ago, but, yes there is a bit of irony there. If indeed they wound up there, they might have even let them open the reformation day service.
It would been impossible for Luther to run his "seminary" without Katerina Von Bora. She was an administrative genius. We have letters that open with "I am writing this letter because Katerina says I must....

i’m not an expert on them, but, there is something touching about their relationship, based on mutual respect, each bringing all they could to the marriage. 6 children, and, as you say, she oversaw so much .. it breaks my heart how today’s “feminism” can’t touch some of these old ways, when everyday life and survival were so much harder. the mutual devotion involved.

this could be another topic.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:47 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:57 pm
temporal1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:37 pm i’m rusty, too. it was pretty dramatic. i think Katharine was a very hard worker.

i’m not an expert on them, but, there is something touching about their relationship, based on mutual respect, each bringing all they could to the marriage. 6 children, and, as you say, she oversaw so much .. it breaks my heart how today’s “feminism” can’t touch some of these old ways, when everyday life and survival were so much harder. the mutual devotion involved.

I find it touching to, but it is strikingly similar to many of the marriages I see in our circles. Luther would not have been anywhere near as effective as he was if it had not been for Katerina. Been to Wittenberg, that building is really big.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:23 am
temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:47 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:57 pm It would been impossible for Luther to run his "seminary" without Katerina Von Bora. She was an administrative genius. We have letters that open with "I am writing this letter because Katerina says I must....

I find it touching to, but it is strikingly similar to many of the marriages I see in our circles. Luther would not have been anywhere near as effective as he was if it had not been for Katerina. Been to Wittenberg, that building is really big.
as i was writing, i was thinking of this, and hoping this was the case, it wasn’t long ago (my view) it was common.
my parents lived their version of it, my 9 aunts+uncles, grandparents, etc.

it’s since easy access bc pills and abortion that threw a monkey wrench into “how marriage+family works.”

i’ve seen blueprint-like renderings of the building+grounds, she oversaw the gardens, too! which supplied much of their food.
she had to be amazing to (have 6 children) AND manage all she did.

i’ve thought she must have been excellent with people and planning+designating work.
there were always lots of people around. she was probably a natural coordinator, choreographer, getting all the moving parts working together.

i think of successful marriages/families like dance, each one has their role to play, there is timing and balance. when operating smoothly, there is a flow to it. as children grow up, when one falls away, the dance changes.

when one loves their work, more can be accomplished, and even appear effortless. there’s joy and personal satisfaction.

she was 16 years younger. he chose well.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ELCA? i imagine, yes.

Wife: Fascinating. I knew that about Michael Sattler, but not about Martin Luther. Go figure.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Funny.
i suppose this earlier topic, link below, was a lot about, or all about, Catholic to Anabaptist (and Protestant) beliefs ..
starting long before the 1500’s. Starting before LABELS were assigned.

Video: A Lamp in the Dark
viewtopic.php?t=3138

This topic is aimed at personal testimonies, also witnessed third party accounts.
Going ‘way back makes a lot of sense, too.

Reminders of earliest roots.

- - - - - - -

P.4: A Lamp ..
temporal1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:33 am i’m not sure where to put this article.
i’ve never seen anything like it.

Catholic Answers / Anabaptists
Violent and extremely radical body of ecclesiastico-civil reformers
https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/anabaptists
^^i just never heard Anabaptists described as violent before.
0 x

UNKNOWN