The Beatitudes query

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

The Beatitudes query

Post by MaxPC »

Do all Anabaptists preach the Beatitudes?

What position of priority do the Beatitudes hold within your fellowship?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Beatitudes query

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:19 pm Do all Anabaptists preach the Beatitudes?

Generally speaking, yes, they do.

They are a high priority, although I'm not sure there is a "priority" we hold for various parts of scripture.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:19 pm Do all Anabaptists preach the Beatitudes?

In all the time I was in the Mennonite Brethren church I don't recall any sermon on the Beatitudes. I do recall sermons on bad attitudes though.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

The whole Sermon on the Mount has been a central teaching of the two MC-USA churches I have been a member of.
1 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

In my experience, the biggest difference between the Anabaptist tradition and Baptist/Evangelical is the focus on the Sermon on the Mount. Anabaptists take it as written, prescriptive for followers of Jesus. Baptist/Evangelical have various means of downplaying it.

The beatitudes, however, are descriptive. The prescriptive parts of the SotM come later. So "preaching the beatitudes", to me, does not mean teaching that we have to be more meek, merciful, poor, hungry, or suffering. The beatitudes are a declaration that these conditions, usually seen as a sign of curse or lack-of-blessing, are actually the first people who will receive the blessing of Jesus' upside-down Kingdom.
3 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:19 am In my experience, the biggest difference between the Anabaptist tradition and Baptist/Evangelical is the focus on the Sermon on the Mount. Anabaptists take it as written, prescriptive for followers of Jesus. Baptist/Evangelical have various means of downplaying it.

The beatitudes, however, are descriptive. The prescriptive parts of the SotM come later. So "preaching the beatitudes", to me, does not mean teaching that we have to be more meek, merciful, poor, hungry, or suffering. The beatitudes are a declaration that these conditions, usually seen as a sign of curse or lack-of-blessing, are actually the first people who will receive the blessing of Jesus' upside-down Kingdom.
This is one of the best descriptions of the Beatitudes and Sermon on the Mount I have read. Thank you.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

Really Max? I think the best description of the Beatitudes is the Beatitudes.
0 x