Poll: Should nonresistant Christians... ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

As a nonresistant Christian who does not go to the polls... I generally agree with the following...

1. Christians should quietly live out their lives and build up the church of Jesus, and not get involved in speaking out against the decisions of civil leaders. That is none of their business. Rather than should pray for leaders, honor them as they can, and leave it at that.
9%
2. Christians should not get involved in organized protests, signing petitions, lobbying civil government leaders, etc. They may appeal for consideration, appeal for exceptions, or ask that a decision be changed, but they should not publicly challenge the decisions of civil leaders.
30%
3. Christians should not get involved in organized protests, signing petitions, lobbying civil government leaders, etc. But they may publicly challenge the decisions of civil leaders.
22%
4. Christians are welcome to speak out against decisions or worldviews espoused by civil leaders, but they should do so in a respectful manner.
26%
5. Christians are welcome to speak out against decisions or worldviews espoused by civil leaders, and sometimes it is not possible to do so in a respectful manner.
9%
6. I'm still forming my view about this...
4%
7. Other
No votes

Total votes: 23

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Should nonresistant Christians... ?

Post by Ernie »

Should nonresistant Christians (who believe that Christians should not involve themselves with the kingdoms of this world nor vote for its civil leaders) speak out publicly against the decisions of politicians?

Please do not answer the above question, similar questions, or the poll questions unless you are a nonresistant Christian who is not involved in voting for civil leaders nor involved in the kingdoms of this world otherwise. If this does not include you, you are still free to ask questions for clarification, but please do not use this thread to promote your view of Christianity.

Please keep partisan comments/debates out of this thread - avoid comments that reflect negatively on either right-leaning or left leaning political persuasions or characters. Please keep this thread focused on the topic.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Poll: Should nonresistant Christians... ?

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:44 pm Should nonresistant Christians (who believe that Christians should not involve themselves with the kingdoms of this world nor vote for its civil leaders) speak out publicly against the decisions of politicians?
For the purposes of this thread, should posting on MN be considered speaking out publicly?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:25 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:44 pm Should nonresistant Christians (who believe that Christians should not involve themselves with the kingdoms of this world nor vote for its civil leaders) speak out publicly against the decisions of politicians?
For the purposes of this thread, should posting on MN be considered speaking out publicly?
In my mind, "yes".
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Here is an example: I feel at complete peace and liberty to speak against Constantine's decisions.

Also feel at complete peace and liberty to speak against Hitler's and Jefferson Davis's.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm Here is an example: I feel at complete peace and liberty to speak against Constantine's decisions.

Also feel at complete peace and liberty to speak against Hitler's and Jefferson Davis's.
And you would feel comfortable doing that with a current leader as well?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 am
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:53 pm Here is an example: I feel at complete peace and liberty to speak against Constantine's decisions.

And you would feel comfortable doing that with a current leader as well?
Yes. For example, a pastor in Canada fed homeless people during the Covid lockdowns. He got arrested and imprisoned for doing so. I would feel comfortable about speaking against those involved who imprisoned him for following Jesus' commands.

However, I think our speech constantly being against present day leaders is often not convenient, as the Bible teaches us to focus instead on giving of thanks. So I don't think I should spend a lot of time making statements against Justin Trudeau. I would, however, argue, it is about as useful to make statements against Hitler as it is Justin Trudeau, and perhaps one should apportion equal amounts of time for doing so.
0 x