Poll: Sunday School

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

What Sunday School curriculum does your church use? How many classes are there?

1. MennoMedia
No votes
2. Christian Light
24%
3. Rod & Staff
No votes
4. No printed curriculum, just the Bible
12%
5. Other (describe in thread)
6%
6. All adults together
15%
7. Multiple classes, men and women separate
18%
8. Multiple classes, mixed
21%
9. My church does not have adult SS
6%
10. My church has adult SS, but I do not attend
No votes
11. I do not attend church
No votes

Total votes: 34

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Poll: Sunday School

Post by ohio jones »

This is a thread to discuss how your church does adult Sunday School.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Poll: Sunday School

Post by mike »

I voted all adults together, but once a month (I think) the men and ladies have separate classes.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

No official curriculum, each course has its own teacher and typically lasts 3-6 months. Often the topic is a book of the Bible, or several smaller books lumped together.

There is a men's class, a ladies class and a mixed class which tends to be dominated by youth, although some youth prefer the gendered classes. This section I am going with my teen daughters to be mixed class.

Sometimes if we are really organized the mixed class will be topical rather than follow the book study of the other two classes.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

A hodge-podge. In the past we've had all quarterlies, Christian Light. That was left some years ago, followed by Scripture books only for quite a few years, with the same book and specific text in all classes. There were separate classes for men & women, and mixed classes for children. (I think the youth might have been mixed, not sure.) there was also occasionally a mixed adult class, with a book on a Bible topic as the study material, a book by an Evangelical author-pastor. (I only ever participated in one of them, because they tend to be so topical that they are also rather shallow, and do not represent our own 'Mennonite' perspectives on the Scripture.)

Now a few classes (our old-men's class included) are using a quarterly, one from a non-Mennonite publishing house. The rest of the adult classes are men and women separate, but they may not all be meeting right now, as there is also a mixed adult LARGE "front-to-back" video plus one-man commentary class, on a specific Bible book. I have never attended that class, because discussion between the class participants is where I see personal growth and close genuine fellowship happening, both in myself and in the other men. Sometimes the quarterly lesson is sort of lame, like one from a children's SS lesson, and we don't always agree with the conclusions made in the lesson book. But we always talk about applications for daily life as fellow believers. (The large class is partly intended to help Amish-background people get accustomed to SS, as very few come in from New Order.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ours is divided by age, men and women together. In our current group, when one spouse reaches the age of 50, we are able to move to the next group if we want.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!