Baptismal Formula

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Baptismal Formula

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Well, was doing history of the early Swiss Brethren movement in history, and I pulled out a few scenes from "The Radicals" a rather old video. Noticed an odd baptismal formula used when Felix Manz baptized George Blaurock:

I baptize you in the name of God....Christ Jesus...and the Holy Spirit.

One of my class found this odd, and I will admit I have never heard anything like this before. I know it is a movie, but anyone else ever hear anything like this.
0 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Baptismal Formula

Post by MaxPC »

Interesting. A mistake or is it based upon what he actually said?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

We immerse three times in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Its not that far off.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Judas Maccabeus

MaxPC wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:25 am Interesting. A mistake or is it based upon what he actually said?
No record of the exact words said exists. There are two accounts, one in the Hutterite long chronicle , the other in a letter from one of the participants that was likely baptized be George Blaurock on that day. That is reproduced in the "Sources of Swiss Anabaptism" compiler is Leland Harder.

Today, as far as I know, all Mennonite use the standard trinitarian formula. Personally, if one was baptized under that formula as a believer on confession of faith, I would consider it a valid baptism.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:28 am We immerse three times in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Its not that far off.
I was at a River Brethren baptism about 6 months ago, one of my friends. They do it the same way.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I found this regarding the various ways water baptism was handled. It is interesting the rationalizing on practises. I was not aware of triple immersions until first mentioned in this thread. I knew that Oneness Pentecostals require people to be baptised again if they were not baptised as Peter said 'in Jesus name' but I was not aware that some Trinitarians insisted on a certain mode.

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/si ... sm.103949/
But the grand prize for “Most Bizarre Baptismal Practice” has to go to yet another group of Eunomians: the candidate was suspended over the water using a mechanical apparatus, rendering them “with their feet upwards, and their heads downwards”. Thereupon they were dipped up (or rather down...) to their waist. These people were derisively referred to as histiopedes (“hung from a mast by the feet”) or pederecti (“feet upward”) by their orthodox critics. (See: J. Bingham, Origines Ecclesiasticae, 1:538.)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:48 pm I found this regarding the various ways water baptism was handled. It is interesting the rationalizing on practises. I was not aware of triple immersions until first mentioned in this thread. I knew that Oneness Pentecostals require people to be baptised again if they were not baptised as Peter said 'in Jesus name' but I was not aware that some Trinitarians insisted on a certain mode.

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/si ... sm.103949/
But the grand prize for “Most Bizarre Baptismal Practice” has to go to yet another group of Eunomians: the candidate was suspended over the water using a mechanical apparatus, rendering them “with their feet upwards, and their heads downwards”. Thereupon they were dipped up (or rather down...) to their waist. These people were derisively referred to as histiopedes (“hung from a mast by the feet”) or pederecti (“feet upward”) by their orthodox critics. (See: J. Bingham, Origines Ecclesiasticae, 1:538.)
The Church that Harry Built:

And you have to pick the locks, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_W ... rture_Cell
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

The first part of this video clip discusses "immersion/baptism" from my perspective. The latter part of the video gets into communion.
This is an edited version of a longer sermon.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:18 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:28 am We immerse three times in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Its not that far off.
I was at a River Brethren baptism about 6 months ago, one of my friends. They do it the same way.
Some groups make a big deal about it having to be "running water" as in a creek or stream. Others, not so much.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Judas Maccabeus

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:29 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:18 pm
Some groups make a big deal about it having to be "running water" as in a creek or stream. Others, not so much.
This was in a farm pond.
0 x