Europe: Re-Evangelizing?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Europe: Re-Evangelizing?

Post by MaxPC »

Msgr. Pope in his intro to another theme made the following statements:
The term “New Evangelization” was originally used by Pope St. John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI to refer to the unique situation of the West, wherein we were not preaching the Gospel to a people who had not heard it, but were instead “re-presenting” the Gospel to a culture that had once embraced the Gospel and later rejected it. In essence, the term means “re-evangelization.”

In his “Latin Letters,” C.S. Lewis quipped that while the ancient Europe encountered by the Apostles and the early Church was a virgin awaiting her groom, Jesus Christ, modern Europe is an angry divorcée.

Reaching this quite different audience, of course, would require adjusting the way in which the message was delivered. “New Evangelization” was the phrase used to signify this.
Have any Anabaptist groups made a return to the "birthplace" of their congregation to "revive the Faith once delivered?"
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Europe: Re-Evangelizing?

Post by Josh »

Birthplace? My birthplace where I had the New Birth was Hartville, Ohio. And that's where I continue to focus on trying to live and share the good news.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Josh wrote:Birthplace? My birthplace where I had the New Birth was Hartville, Ohio. And that's where I continue to focus on trying to live and share the good news.
I didn't know you saw yourself as a "congregation". Hmmmmmm :roll:

Have any Anabaptist groups made a return to the European "birthplace" of their congregation to "revive the Faith once delivered?"
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I can't imagine that any congregation would be so homogenized as to return to the exact same European spot. If there is- genetic variance would be a major concern..... :?

Do you really think a U.S. congregation trying to return to Europe to evangelize a bunch of people based only on historic geographical ties would be a successful mission??

"We're here from America to preach the Good News!"
"Why are you here?"
"Cause my 7x great grandpa lived here :) "
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
Josh wrote:Birthplace? My birthplace where I had the New Birth was Hartville, Ohio. And that's where I continue to focus on trying to live and share the good news.
I didn't know you saw yourself as a "congregation". Hmmmmmm :roll:

Have any Anabaptist groups made a return to the European "birthplace" of their congregation to "revive the Faith once delivered?"
My congregation was born in Hartville. Our entire church group was born in Wayne County, about 40 minutes from me.

The church of Jesus Christ had its birthplace in what is now the land of Israel; whenever I am there I do my best to let my light shine and be an example of the good news. I have a dream to see a plain Anabaptist church planted there some day.
0 x
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I can't imagine that any congregation would be so homogenized as to return to the exact same European spot. If there is- genetic variance would be a major concern..... :?

Do you really think a U.S. congregation trying to return to Europe to evangelize a bunch of people based only on historic geographical ties would be a successful mission??

"Why are you here?"
I've often wondered what would happen if Swiss Brethren descendants did today what Jewish descendants did in the 40s and 50s. Would American evangelicals hail it as a great movement of God or would they condemn it as an unethical racist land grab? 8-)
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Peregrino wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:I can't imagine that any congregation would be so homogenized as to return to the exact same European spot. If there is- genetic variance would be a major concern..... :?

"Why are you here?"
I've often wondered what would happen if Swiss Brethren descendants did today what Jewish descendants did in the 40s and 50s. Would American evangelicals hail it as a great movement of God or would they condemn it as an unethical racist land grab? 8-)
Interesting POVs. Among the Anabaptists, is there any emotional/spiritual attachment to the European places?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:Have any Anabaptist groups made a return to the European "birthplace" of their congregation to "revive the Faith once delivered?"
I think you may be using "congregation" in a different sense than we typically do.

I'm only aware of one congregation that migrated from its European birthplace to America (Alexanderwohl, from Russia to Kansas). In the vast majority of cases, immigration was by individuals and families, who then formed or joined a congregation whose birthplace was on this continent.
Peregrino wrote:I've often wondered what would happen if Swiss Brethren descendants did today what Jewish descendants did in the 40s and 50s. Would American evangelicals hail it as a great movement of God or would they condemn it as an unethical racist land grab? 8-)
We would have to grab enough land to grow our own food at least, as expen$iv€ as that is in Switzerland. Fortunately we would no longer be restricted to owning land above certain elevations.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

MaxPC wrote: Interesting POVs. Among the Anabaptists, is there any emotional/spiritual attachment to the European places?
Maybe among some. For me, as a child growing up, the martyrdom and persecution stories were real enough and talked about enough that I had a real fear of Europe (and Catholics). :lol: To this day, I don't feel any attachment or nostalgia for Europe.

I know different people who enjoy traveling there to see the historic sites but I have never heard anyone express a desire to move back. I suspect we suffer from a sort of collective PTSD. Many NMBs have no idea how real and close to the surface the martyr stories still are in our culture. I suspect it feeds our attraction to the doctrine of separation and our determined efforts to resist acculturation.

(Never Forget. The English who are so friendly today, tomorrow may be in the crowd cheering as we are burning at the stake once persecution arrives again.)

This is just my perspective from growing up with a very narrow range of acquaintances within CAism. (ex-Amish Ultra Conservative)
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

These answers are helpful. Thank you.

Catholic families tend to be attached to European roots/places, even those where their families were persecuted and martyred. I wondered if there was a similar attachment among the Anabaptists.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)