Church good at evangelization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
plain
Affiliation:

Church good at evangelization

Post by plain »

Anyone here that is active in a church where the members is good at doing evangelization?

Eg. Maybe the church members talk about Jesus and the gospel on the square in the town, maybe in a organised way. Or maybe a church where most members use to talk about Jesus to people they meet.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Church good at evangelization

Post by Ken »

plain wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:31 pm Anyone here that is active in a church where the members is good at doing evangelization?

Eg. Maybe the church members talk about Jesus and the gospel on the square in the town, maybe in a organised way. Or maybe a church where most members use to talk about Jesus to people they meet.
What is your definition of "good at doing evangelization"

Which do you mean?
  • They spend a lot of their time doing evangelization, or
  • They are effective at it as evidenced by church growth
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

That they are at least trying. Spending some time at it.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

plain wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:31 pm Anyone here that is active in a church where the members is good at doing evangelization?

At the church I am a part of, a higher percentage of members do this than most Plain Anabaptist churches. The folks from non-Anabaptist upbringing who were once part of our church have all left/are leaving. But others are thinking about moving in and joining. And none of these folks needed evangelized per say, as they were all attracted to something other than a "save me Gospel" before they joined our church.

Some of us in our church are investing a lot of time in evangelism. Basically, our work is planting spiritual seed. I wish there were more immediate results, but we are leaving that up to God.
Here is the story of one person who joined the kingdom of God and is doing well spiritually from what we know. We consider her part of our church but with no formal membership since she left for her home country immediately following baptism.
https://lifeq.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... ssue-4.pdf
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: I would say our church is decent at attempting to evangelize, at least compared to some Mennonite churches I’ve gone to. Other than the Monday night children’s club with the local HUD housing, it seems like there has been a lot of work with druggies and former druggies (including offering work opportunities, and housing for some), they restarted the monthly cottage meetings and are trying to look into other opportunities, like prisons or shelters, or whatever, and a few of the people seem really into reaching out to people. They also helped us get our house and repair it, which was nice, even if that’s not official evangelism. There’s a few people who really seem dedicated to reaching out to people, and of course, others not so much, but I do appreciate that about here versus some other Mennonite churches I have seen. I honestly need to do better at reaching out to people, because sometimes I really waste opportunities.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Ernie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:51 pmAt the church I am a part of, a higher percentage of members do this than most Plain Anabaptist churches. The folks from non-Anabaptist upbringing who were once part of our church have all left/are leaving.
Sounds like a nice church, great that you do evangelize.

Why is the "folks from non-Anabaptist upbringing" leaving? And how did they become members in the first place?
0 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Ernie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:51 pmSome of us in our church are investing a lot of time in evangelism. Basically, our work is planting spiritual seed. I wish there were more immediate results, but we are leaving that up to God.
If there is some of you that investing time in evangelism it is great. Hopefully the other members will put time in this in the future as well.

Yes, planting spiritual seed is a good way seeing it. Yeah more results is always something you want to get, sometimes it is tough when you don't see much of it. Yes, leaving it up to God. Seems like it is something good going on.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I've known men that made it their passion to do street preaching. One in particular would take a days off of their job and go into Reading and try to evangelize.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:58 amThere’s a few people who really seem dedicated to reaching out to people, and of course, others not so much, but I do appreciate that about here versus some other Mennonite churches I have seen. I honestly need to do better at reaching out to people, because sometimes I really waste opportunities.
I hope you will be able to reach out more in the future. To waste opportunities doesn't sound good. What situations has that been?

Seems usual in many churches that many doesn't do evangelize, and my experience is that many do not even talk about "spiritual things", but only about tv shows, sports, events etc., even before/after church service.
0 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 amI've known men that made it their passion to do street preaching. One in particular would take a days off of their job and go into Reading and try to evangelize.
That is great. Hopefully there is churches out there with a spirit like this. Passion for evangelization. Not a passion for church service and children’s club etc in the first place. Or even prayer and bible reading (don't get me wrong, we should do that too), but the mission Jesus gave us was to "make disciples".
0 x