Church good at evangelization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Re: Church good at evangelization

Post by Joy »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 pm Reading through the thread, I noticed the discussion about evangelisation on the job but there is a concern whether the employer feels it is inappropriate on “company time”. I wonder: when a Christian sets the example of a diligent work ethic as well as caring for his fellow workers, that can be considered a Christian witness too, would it not?
I know a guy who worked at a local lumber company, and surrendered his life to Christ in his forties or fifties. He began witnessing to his coworkers on a regular basis. But after a while, he felt he could reach more people as a missionary. When he conveyed this to his boss, his boss begged him to stay, offering him the ultimate reward--he told Kenny that he could do all the witnessing he wanted. So he stayed and witnessed to many, many people on the job.
3 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

This is similar to my experience. If you are continually sharing the love of Christ and have a joy that makes others smile - the boss isn’t upset with what such a person does to overall morale.
3 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:53 pm This is similar to my experience. If you are continually sharing the love of Christ and have a joy that makes others smile - the boss isn’t upset with what such a person does to overall morale.
It depends entirely on the job in question.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:13 pm
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:53 pm This is similar to my experience. If you are continually sharing the love of Christ and have a joy that makes others smile - the boss isn’t upset with what such a person does to overall morale.
I can understand how it wouldn’t work for a public school teacher to keep his job if he were to be sharing the kingdom of God with his students. But then again, neither are we called to put our job before Christ, rather we are called to forsake all!
3 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

NedFlanders wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:21 pm
I can understand how it wouldn’t work for a public school teacher to keep his job if he were to be sharing the kingdom of God with his students. But then again, neither are we called to put our job before Christ, rather we are called to forsake all!
Not just school teachers. Pretty much any public or private sector job in which you have a captive audience: https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/tr ... llow-jesus
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I am reminded of that old question: if Christianity were to become illegal today, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

I agree, Ned, that Christians in the workplace are good for morale. If the employers are adverse, then we trust God to lead us to a job that He wants for us. We cannot be afraid when God is watching over us as He does all things.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:32 am

Not just school teachers. Pretty much any public or private sector job in which you have a captive audience: https://www.wrtv.com/news/local-news/tr ... llow-jesus
I'm puzzled. You think it's wrong for a teacher to show Christ's love to his students?
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Joy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:20 pm I know a guy who worked at a local lumber company, and surrendered his life to Christ in his forties or fifties.

He began witnessing to his coworkers on a regular basis.
But after a while, he felt he could reach more people as a missionary.

When he conveyed this to his boss, his boss begged him to stay, offering him the ultimate reward--he told Kenny that he could do all the witnessing he wanted. So he stayed and witnessed to many, many people on the job.
good example, Joy. it reflects the importance of a missions heart in everyday life, by everyday people.
NedFlanders wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:53 pm This is similar to my experience.
If you are continually sharing the love of Christ and have a joy that makes others smile -
the boss isn’t upset with what such a person does to overall morale.
I can understand how it wouldn’t work for a public school teacher to keep his job if he were to be sharing the kingdom of God with his students.

But then again, neither are we called to put our job before Christ, rather we are called to forsake all!
Nicely worded. As well, when actions make others smile, and leads to a lighter workday, MORE EFFECTIVENESS AND EFFICIENCY, that person becomes extra-valuable and appreciated.

A grateful attitude in all things is a great start. It makes people likeable and trusted, key attributes that invite questions for deeper discussions. A person who invites questions through unspoken, inexplicable happiness has the advantage of a curious, interested audience.

Unspoken joy in faith doesn’t go unnoticed. It regularly opens doors. At this point, invitations to visit church, etc., are natural next steps. Start at the beginning. Encourage interest.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i keep hoping plain will return.
This is from 2019. i wonder of plain+Karstan78 were able to connect wrt Apostolic/Nazarene churches in Sweden?
plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:54 pm
Karstan78 wrote:At this stage I don’t know the address of the churches. Are you located in Sweden?
You can pm me your email and when I get the address I can forward it on to you.
Yes located in sweden. Not much plain folks here.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

What seems to me to be a big obstacle in evangelizing is when believers are more concerned about their reputation, 'look at me', and how wonderful
I am as a Christian, than they are about the eternal destiny of others. When we go down that trail we look more and more like the Pharisees in Jesus day. Their focus was on themselves and they wanted the respect from others on just how religious they were. But regarding sinners, they looked down on them and as one said 'I'm glad I'm not like other people'. This sort of thing surfaces today too especially in those that pride themselves in how 'holy' or 'conservative' or 'separated' they are from not only the world but other believers.

Evangelical minded Christians, in my experience, are ones with a very high focus on others and seeing them become Christians, get born again. They may not all be the most model Christ followers in some ways but their deepest desire and primary focus is to see others escape hell and go to heaven when they die. They really don't get into the church spats and that sort of thing as they are primarily concerned about the lost.

If satan can get the focus off the issue of where we will spend eternity and keep believers ensnared with how good of a reputation they have in the world, then he has achieved much. I think there will be many that miss heaven and ended up in hell because Christians were more about themselves and their religious reputation than they were about the souls of others. And sadly that is what happens when our Christianity takes on a Pharisee view. Unbelievers are looked down on with disgust rather than a loving concern for their souls.

There are various opinions here on evangelizing and I'm going to go with those that actually get results. Not results on how good we are as Christians but results in unbelievers believing in Jesus for eternal life. Seems to me, we, self included, are looking for ways to justify ourselves and I suspect our lack of evangelizing has much to do with fear of persecution. We want unbelievers to like us and respect us for being good people than to present the Gospel that says we are sinners which will not be appreciated by everyone and never has been from early Christianity.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit