Church good at evangelization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Church good at evangelization

Post by Soloist »

plain wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:51 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:58 amThere’s a few people who really seem dedicated to reaching out to people, and of course, others not so much, but I do appreciate that about here versus some other Mennonite churches I have seen. I honestly need to do better at reaching out to people, because sometimes I really waste opportunities.
I hope you will be able to reach out more in the future. To waste opportunities doesn't sound good. What situations has that been?

Seems usual in many churches that many doesn't do evangelize, and my experience is that many do not even talk about "spiritual things", but only about tv shows, sports, events etc., even before/after church service.
Wife: Well, our church doesn’t talk TV or sports at church that I am aware of, although I do know a couple things are sneaking at school, and I’m not sure if that’s from Mennonite children or non-Mennonite children. We’ve had some churches like that too, and were annoyed at our first place that so many of them seemed into the Super Bowl.

I felt guilty because the other day, I was filling up gas on the way home from the store, and this man started talking to me first asking about some farm stand north of us, which I had trouble trying to figure out what he was talking about since I’m not from here. Then he started going on about Native American remedies and how red oak sap can cure cancer and everything else, mentioning that he is 106 and was born in 1926 (the math did not add up, and he looked like he was probably in his 60s or 70s), cancer coming from worms in your body, and a bunch of other really odd stuff, and I wasn’t sure if he was serious or just trying to pull one over on me, but I was just nodding and saying interesting, and thinking about how I was going to be late to meet someone who was bringing us food, and not really knowing what to say. I felt really bad afterwards, because I thought that I was being deceptive by just nodding and not questioning anything, and I was trying to figure out how I could have shared the gospel/reached out to him, and I felt like that was a wasted opportunity.

Occasionally, a conversation will start when people realize I’m not Mennonite born, and I’ve never even been to Pennsylvania. Also, sometimes the conversation naturally flows toward spiritual things, but that requires that I’m actually willing to get into a conversation. If I mention that my husband and I both used to be military, I try to add that we’re conscientious objectors now, but I feel like I need to reach out a lot more than I am doing. Just passing out the occasional invite to our church or putting a book in one of those lending library’s seems inadequate, and I need to be a lot more willing to step out of my comfort zone when I’m out and about and also be willing to politely disagree sometimes.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

plain wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:31 pm Anyone here that is active in a church where the members is good at doing evangelization?

Eg. Maybe the church members talk about Jesus and the gospel on the square in the town, maybe in a organised way. Or maybe a church where most members use to talk about Jesus to people they meet.
I was raised in a church that put much emphasis on evangelism and today it is the largest, by far, of all churches in our city. They still have all kinds of church events throughout the week for all ages and make it important to bring the unsaved to these youth programs, senior and other bible studies, church meals, water baptisms, etc, etc. They don't have street meetings anymore like what I grew up and participated in but do other events like car washes and even Halloween participation giving out Gospel tracts and talking with people as they give out free candy, hot dogs, etc.

I also particpated in a Baptist church that was a very small, closed group of Calvinist believers and God used a Mennonite Brethren fellow, who was disappointed in the MB evangelizing, to join this group and he had a big influence on this Baptist pastor. Soon others in various churches who also had concern for the salvation of others, left their churches and came to join in this new evangelistic focus. We had other Baptists, Mennonites (MBs), Pentecostals, United and others join in. The church grew to overflowing with primarily new, unchurched people as we reached out into the community with home bible studies and all kinds of other ways to bring people to hear the Gospel. These were the best years in my life. I wish every Christian could experience the fellowship and joys we experienced as people were saved and many lead their families, relatives and friends to the Lord.

I have also been in churches who appear to have no vision for the lost. Their Christianity is all about them and today we see some of these churches closing. Others that don't close are prone to splits or worldliness. Some are more like the Pharisees in Jesus time on earth that Jesus rebuked for their attitudes toward sinners and people who didn't live up to their self-righteous ways. There is much to be learned from what Jesus said to the Pharisees and where we may have or are drifting into some of their ways. I think this might be a good thread sometime as these Pharisees did some evangelizing but the converts they had, Jesus had some strong words about their success. Matthew 23:15

As far as Mennonites, I believe their biggest challenge, for those who are evangelistic minded, will be to get past their ethnic barriers. The MBs, in our city, are the only ones I know of, that have broken through this barrier and have a growing percentage of non-ethnic Mennonite folk. They still do get a considerable amount of drifting to them from other Mennonite churches. And for those who wear unique unconforming clothing, this, too, I believe is a barrier. And ways of withdrawal from the world's people is another consideration. Various beliefs and practises can hinder the furtherance of the Kingdom.

But these are some of my observations and opinions and others may see things differently. Evangelism, to me, has much to do with our relationship with God and His desire that all should come to repentance. It has much to do with our concern for others who are lost and at the moment, mine is not what it should be.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:39 am I've known men that made it their passion to do street preaching. One in particular would take a days off of their job and go into Reading and try to evangelize.
One man I think of who has a passion to do street preaching takes months (maybe years) off from his job to go street preaching at various places including Sarasota, FL.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

That brings to mind someone who preaches on the street in front of our churches. I guess congregants get a “double dose” of preaching that day.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:00 pm That brings to mind someone who preaches on the street in front of our churches. I guess congregants get a “double dose” of preaching that day.
I think some of these street preachers who preach close to churches and even in church camp grounds believe that these places are not preaching the true Gospel and often regard them as churches who preach a gospel of works.

I'm not surprised at some street preaching methods and their lack of seeing real conversions. Seems to me there are better ways to share the door to eternal life and I have seen more results through things like home bible studies and more one on one involvement in the lives of people. Sometimes door-to-door evangelism has proven to be a good means when we can both share and listen to what people are trusting in.

Imo, good evangelism that results in salvation is followed up by discipleship training of the new convert. One does not leave a new born in life to grow on it's own and the same goes for new spiritual babes. They need lots of attention as they step into an new life in Christ.
1 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 amI need to be a lot more willing to step out of my comfort zone when I’m out and about and also be willing to politely disagree sometimes.
Yes that seems like a good prayer and also to be ready when someone is just standing there. I also need more of these, and pray more for this in my morning prayer.
1 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:38 am
Soloist wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:23 amI need to be a lot more willing to step out of my comfort zone when I’m out and about and also be willing to politely disagree sometimes.
Yes that seems like a good prayer and also to be ready when someone is just standing there. I also need more of these, and pray more for this in my morning prayer.
The early church, as we read in Acts 4:29-31, were in a more dangerous position than most of us will likely ever be in and so they prayed for boldness and the supernatural work of God in their evangelism.
"Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.” And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.
So, do we believe God will answer this prayer today and will fill us with the Holy Spirit to boldly speak the word of God ? Or did God stop healing, doing signs and wonders, shaking the place where they assembled, filling us with the Holy Spirit and giving us boldness to speak God's word ?

Seems to me some have not prayed this prayer as they have doubts about God working in some supernatural ways today and perhaps that is one reason the born again experiences of some do not turn out to be supernatural but rather just a human attempt at avoiding hell and getting to heaven when they die. They are told they have been born again.

I think it quite possible that many church going people, who have done whatever the local church required of them, are not experiencing anything supernatural going on in them since they first believed. If the Holy Spirit comes to live within a person, I don't believe they will go on living and not know He is there and He will empower and guide them if they allow Him to.

Would love to hear other's thoughts in this regard.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:20 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:00 pm That brings to mind someone who preaches on the street in front of our churches. I guess congregants get a “double dose” of preaching that day.
I think some of these street preachers who preach close to churches and even in church camp grounds believe that these places are not preaching the true Gospel and often regard them as churches who preach a gospel of works.

I'm not surprised at some street preaching methods and their lack of seeing real conversions. Seems to me there are better ways to share the door to eternal life and I have seen more results through things like home bible studies and more one on one involvement in the lives of people. Sometimes door-to-door evangelism has proven to be a good means when we can both share and listen to what people are trusting in.

Imo, good evangelism that results in salvation is followed up by discipleship training of the new convert. One does not leave a new born in life to grow on it's own and the same goes for new spiritual babes. They need lots of attention as they step into an new life in Christ.
Spot on. Well said.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:20 pmImo, good evangelism that results in salvation is followed up by discipleship training of the new convert. One does not leave a new born in life to grow on it's own and the same goes for new spiritual babes. They need lots of attention as they step into an new life in Christ.
That is exactly why I am skeptical of street evangelism, especially when people do it far away from home. What is the point if you aren't actually inviting people to attend and join your church next door?

It was also why I objected to some of the things I was roped into doing in my youth in the name of evangelism such as passing out tracts at the local county fair with the church youth group when the tracts didn't even have contact information for our local church on them.

Either churches are important to Christianity or they are not. And if they are important, then evangelism should be about growing churches not random contacts on the street. We are no longer living in the early days of the church when people had literally never heard of Jesus or the message of Christianity before.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08 pmAs far as Mennonites, I believe their biggest challenge, for those who are evangelistic minded, will be to get past their ethnic barriers. The MBs, in our city, are the only ones I know of, that have broken through this barrier and have a growing percentage of non-ethnic Mennonite folk. They still do get a considerable amount of drifting to them from other Mennonite churches. And for those who wear unique unconforming clothing, this, too, I believe is a barrier. And ways of withdrawal from the world's people is another consideration. Various beliefs and practises can hinder the furtherance of the Kingdom.
Yes go past the ethnic barriers, and also the age barriers. There is so much age segregation, childen for them selfs in children groups, youths for them selfs in youth groups etc.

People leaving churches with unconforming clothing, maybe so. Is that including churches teaching headcovering? Do you think headcovering is good?
0 x