Church good at evangelization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Church good at evangelization

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:14 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm Interesting how you listed 3 gigantic corporations for your example.
Why do you find that interesting?

Well over half of all jobs in the US are for corporate or public sector employers. Wal-Mart alone employs more than 1.5 million people. You may not like that but it is the reality.

And the percentage is far higher when you get into areas like health care where the vast majority of jobs are working for large for-profit or non-profit corporations.

So I stand by my contention that in jobs in which you are representing an organization larger than yourself and working with a captive audience of customers, that constant and overt evangelism of the sort advocated in this thread will be frowned upon and likely get you fired if you don't stop.
Then it is indeed interesting that these gigantic megacorps have decided to take a stance against Jesus and the gospel.
I don't think they are taking a stance against Jesus and the Gospel, but they are paying their employees to "work". Customers that have directly asked me questions I can use as a short opportunity as I do pray for that. Plus be a witness to co-workers ,& managers but nothing upsets as manager more than spending a lot of time talking while they're paying you. (Unless it's part of your job and it helps the business). Also- since we know people can get upset at the Gospel customers also do not feel like it is the time or place - outside of work is altogether different.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm Interesting how you listed 3 gigantic corporations for your example.

Well over half of all jobs in the US are for corporate or public sector employers. Wal-Mart alone employs more than 1.5 million people. You may not like that but it is the reality.

And the percentage is far higher when you get into areas like health care where the vast majority of jobs are working for large for-profit or non-profit corporations.

So I stand by my contention that in jobs in which you are representing an organization larger than yourself and working with a captive audience of customers, that constant and overt evangelism of the sort advocated in this thread will be frowned upon and likely get you fired if you don't stop.
Then it is indeed interesting that these gigantic megacorps have decided to take a stance against Jesus and the gospel.
They aren't taking a stand for or against religion and you know it.

I'm just pointing out the fallacy of those here in this thread who think it is appropriate to evangelize in every setting, including work. It is not.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I don’t think we should ever stop being a witness for Jesus, nor consider anything a higher priority than sharing the good news.
3 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am
plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:36 pmIf evangelism is just living by example then every Anabaptist church is "good at evangelism"
You also need to talk about it.
Preach the Gospel at all times. Whenever possible, use words!
Interesting how this was considered a quote from St. Francis of Assisi—founder of the Franciscan Order but it has no proof. See here -

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/arti ... of-assisi/

Romans 10:13-15 -
for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
So the question comes to mind - are we all sent or just a few Christians are the bringers of good news ?
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:40 pm

They aren't taking a stand for or against religion and you know it.

I'm just pointing out the fallacy of those here in this thread who think it is appropriate to evangelize in every setting, including work. It is not.
I agree with Ken on this one and in the most evangelical church I have been part of we taught believers to share their faith outside of their work and carve out one on one times outside of work with the person they want to share the Gospel with.
2 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:29 pm
plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 pm

You also need to talk about it.
Interesting how this was considered a quote from St. Francis of Assisi—founder of the Franciscan Order but it has no proof. See here -

for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”
So the question comes to mind - are we all sent or just a few Christians are the bringers of good news ?
Presumably you have a life outside of work?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:10 pm

I'm retired. Going on 22 years now.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am Preach the Gospel at all times. Whenever possible, use words!
Interesting how this was considered a quote from St. Francis of Assisi—founder of the Franciscan Order but it has no proof.
Note the difference between the quote attributed, perhaps incorrectly, to St. Francis -- "if necessary" -- and Ernie's wording -- "whenever possible."
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:48 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:10 pm

I'm retired. Going on 22 years now.
Well then, your time is now your own to do with it as you will.

For those of us who are still exchanging our time and labor to put a roof over our heads and support a family, not all of our time is our own. And if we are only going to pursue jobs and careers in which we are entirely free to spend all our time evangelizing, we are going to be picking from a fairly narrow set of jobs to choose from.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:04 pm I don’t think we should ever stop being a witness for Jesus, nor consider anything a higher priority than sharing the good news.
ohio jones wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:12 pm Note the difference between the quote attributed, perhaps incorrectly, to St. Francis -- "if necessary" --
and Ernie's wording -- "whenever possible."
This profound quote came to mind when i first read the OP. i’m glad to find it quoted, regardless of origin.
From link:
Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.
i’m not suggesting one or the other.
i began learning about the value of unspoken Gospel from very young, maybe the school custodian, a bus driver, doctor, any everyday encounter can be used to “speak volumes” about Jesus Christ.

Thing is, when works/behaviors/attitude reflect Truth, it encourages interest, piques curiosity, invites questions.
This becomes a vital position to introduce faith. “Why are you smiling all the time?” - “”Faith. Trust.” “God is merciful.”

For folks who believe works matter, evangelizing in spirit is powerful. It becomes second nature, like brushing teeth.
I will guess the majority employed on this site consider it part of everyday life. Not just wrt work, but in neighborhoods, while shopping, etc. Human interaction.

As well, it is done, always has been done, in the most dire circumstances. Like, in prisons and in Communist countries.
Unspoken communication.

Light finds its way.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN