Church good at evangelization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Church good at evangelization

Post by Josh »

plain wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:15 am
Valerie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 pmOur church strongly encouraged sharing the Gospel- we have to keep in mind that God cares about these souls more than we do- He is involved in the process!
Thanks for the bible word. Sounds like a nice church of yours, that encouraged sharing the Gospel. Also want to be in a church like that.
My “lived experience”, on the other hand, is that that church in question wasn’t interested at all in evangelising me when I was a foul-mouthed drunkard.

However, once I cleaned up my life (or rather Jesus did), stopped cussing, and had victory over alcohol - but also became a visible plain Mennonite - well, then they were interested in inviting me to Parkside Green.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:55 am
Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am
plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 pm

You also need to talk about it.
Preach the Gospel at all times. Whenever possible, use words!
That will get you fired at my job and many many others. Possibly most jobs in which you represent an organization larger than yourself and have a captive audience.
Eternal souls are worth a pointless corporate or government job.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:56 am

That will get you fired at my job and many many others. Possibly most jobs in which you represent an organization larger than yourself and have a captive audience.
Eternal souls are worth a pointless corporate or government job.
I expect some will be relieved if there are no Christians in public life. Do YOU think that would be a good thing?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 pm

You also need to talk about it.
I guess that depends on how you define and apply the word "possible". And there are also a variety of ways to preach the Gospel orally.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:13 pm

I guess that depends on how you define and apply the word "possible". And there are also a variety of ways to preach the Gospel orally.
It's not just public service jobs like teachers.

For example, try working in some generic job like a sales rep in a Verizon Store, or a cable TV installer for Comcast, or a customer service phone rep for Bank of America and see how long you last on your job if you are evangelizing customers.

It won't be very long.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Interesting how you listed 3 gigantic corporations for your example.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:56 am
plain wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:15 am
Valerie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 pmOur church strongly encouraged sharing the Gospel- we have to keep in mind that God cares about these souls more than we do- He is involved in the process!
Thanks for the bible word. Sounds like a nice church of yours, that encouraged sharing the Gospel. Also want to be in a church like that.
My “lived experience”, on the other hand, is that that church in question wasn’t interested at all in evangelising me when I was a foul-mouthed drunkard.

However, once I cleaned up my life (or rather Jesus did), stopped cussing, and had victory over alcohol - but also became a visible plain Mennonite - well, then they were interested in inviting me to Parkside Green.
I'm very sorry for your experience Josh. Hopefully not all members would be that way. I never attended there- problem with mega churches yes, we can be encouraged to try to reach the lost but no one is policing it to see how well people are actually doing it. Hopefully you're church is reaching out to foul mouth drunkards- they surely need it.
2 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm Interesting how you listed 3 gigantic corporations for your example.
Why do you find that interesting?

Well over half of all jobs in the US are for corporate or public sector employers. Wal-Mart alone employs more than 1.5 million people. You may not like that but it is the reality.

And the percentage is far higher when you get into areas like health care where the vast majority of jobs are working for large for-profit or non-profit corporations.

So I stand by my contention that in jobs in which you are representing an organization larger than yourself and working with a captive audience of customers, that constant and overt evangelism of the sort advocated in this thread will be frowned upon and likely get you fired if you don't stop.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:52 pm Interesting how you listed 3 gigantic corporations for your example.

Well over half of all jobs in the US are for corporate or public sector employers. Wal-Mart alone employs more than 1.5 million people. You may not like that but it is the reality.

And the percentage is far higher when you get into areas like health care where the vast majority of jobs are working for large for-profit or non-profit corporations.

So I stand by my contention that in jobs in which you are representing an organization larger than yourself and working with a captive audience of customers, that constant and overt evangelism of the sort advocated in this thread will be frowned upon and likely get you fired if you don't stop.
Then it is indeed interesting that these gigantic megacorps have decided to take a stance against Jesus and the gospel.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:14 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm

Then it is indeed interesting that these gigantic megacorps have decided to take a stance against Jesus and the gospel.
I don't think they are taking a stance against Jesus and the Gospel, but they are paying their employees to "work". Customers that have directly asked me questions I can use as a short opportunity as I do pray for that. Plus be a witness to co-workers ,& managers but nothing upsets as manager more than spending a lot of time talking while they're on acting you. Also- since we know people can get upset at the Gospel customers also do not feel like it is the time or place - outside of work is altogether different.
2 x