Church good at evangelization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
plain
Affiliation:

Re: Church good at evangelization

Post by plain »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:20 pmImo, good evangelism that results in salvation is followed up by discipleship training of the new convert. One does not leave a new born in life to grow on it's own and the same goes for new spiritual babes. They need lots of attention as they step into an new life in Christ.
That there are discipleship training after salvation is important, in a church or by the one who is lead them to Jesus, or both.

Street evangelism should have a thinking of how to deal with this. But to throw street evangelism away as a whole I think is wrong. I think we need all of it, evangelism on streets, in clubs, at work, but most of it to friends and neighbors.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:13 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:20 pmImo, good evangelism that results in salvation is followed up by discipleship training of the new convert. One does not leave a new born in life to grow on it's own and the same goes for new spiritual babes. They need lots of attention as they step into an new life in Christ.
That there are discipleship training after salvation is important, in a church or by the one who is lead them to Jesus, or both.

Street evangelism should have a thinking of how to deal with this. But to throw street evangelism away as a whole I think is wrong. I think we need all of it, evangelism on streets, in clubs, at work, but most of it to friends and neighbors.
No, we don't need all of it. Not if it is counter-productive. And some of that sort of thing will actually turn people off. Especially, for example, evangelism at work.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:59 pm

No, we don't need all of it. Not if it is counter-productive. And some of that sort of thing will actually turn people off. Especially, for example, evangelism at work.
I think evangelism can be many things. For example if you have a christian friend at work and you sit and talk about a prayer answer and someone else hear you from another table.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:30 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:59 pm

I think evangelism can be many things. For example if you have a christian friend at work and you sit and talk about a prayer answer and someone else hear you from another table.
If evangelism is just living by example then every Anabaptist church is "good at evangelism"

But I don't think that is generally what people mean by the term.
0 x
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:36 pmIf evangelism is just living by example then every Anabaptist church is "good at evangelism"
You also need to talk about it.
2 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:36 pmIf evangelism is just living by example then every Anabaptist church is "good at evangelism"
Indeed- the very definition of evangelize indicates sharing the Gospel. The first Anabaptist I met, an Amish man I would say had the gift of evangelizing every where he went. He passed out tracts and wrote his name and number on the back.

I love this chapter 1 Corinthians 3:

3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

My A.ish friend called it "scattering seeds"
Principal here is trusting God is at work- one may plant the seed, another waters, God brings the increase. We can all play a part It is obvious the Scriptures teach to do so verbally and by our example live what we preach.

Our church strongly encouraged sharing the Gospel- we have to keep in mind that God cares about these souls more than we do- He is involved in the process!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

plain wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:09 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08 pmAs far as Mennonites, I believe their biggest challenge, for those who are evangelistic minded, will be to get past their ethnic barriers. The MBs, in our city, are the only ones I know of, that have broken through this barrier and have a growing percentage of non-ethnic Mennonite folk. They still do get a considerable amount of drifting to them from other Mennonite churches. And for those who wear unique unconforming clothing, this, too, I believe is a barrier. And ways of withdrawal from the world's people is another consideration. Various beliefs and practises can hinder the furtherance of the Kingdom.
Yes go past the ethnic barriers, and also the age barriers. There is so much age segregation, childen for them selfs in children groups, youths for them selfs in youth groups etc.

People leaving churches with unconforming clothing, maybe so. Is that including churches teaching headcovering? Do you think headcovering is good?
To your questions - in our local MB church headcoverings are not worn but if someone believes they should wear one, that is not a problem. My personal belief is if one believes they should wear a headcovering then it is for wearing in church meetings not out in public. I believe, besides dressing moderately, the scripture indicates what should stand out mostly about being a Christ follower, is good works. And these good works would be of the kind that causes people to want to know why we do them. I don't see in scripture where we are to stand out in public by a unique form of dress but rather by shining our lights through good deeds and sharing the Gospel message.

I personally don't have a problem with age groupings as long as there are times where all ages come together also. We relate to our age brackets from childhood to seniors as we live often amongst our own age group in our society. One of the problems we had in the church I grew up in, was the distractions of babies and toddlers during worship. Church nurseries were created and this helped to remove this distraction and gave the parents a time to focus on the worship and sermon. To me, it is a matter of what best accommodates spiritual growth when we gather together.

Others see these things differently. I think we always have to weigh the outcomes of our practises and determine if they are building or a hindrance to furthering the Kingdom.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
plain
Affiliation:

Post by plain »

Valerie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 pmOur church strongly encouraged sharing the Gospel- we have to keep in mind that God cares about these souls more than we do- He is involved in the process!
Thanks for the bible word. Sounds like a nice church of yours, that encouraged sharing the Gospel. Also want to be in a church like that.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Preach the Gospel at all times. Whenever possible, use words!
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 am
Preach the Gospel at all times. Whenever possible, use words!
That will get you fired at my job and many many others. Possibly most jobs in which you represent an organization larger than yourself and have a captive audience.
0 x