Practising Non-Resistance

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Practising Non-Resistance

Post by Valerie »

justme wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:32 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:01 pm Boot, Josh, Temp , & Ken were asked not to put for a length of time fairly recently?
that was an experiment done by me as a member, not a time out for bad behavior done by a moderator.
And they all donated their payment for participating in the experiment.
Yes that is what you called it but at the time it seemed like you were fed up-
You did not include Max.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:26 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:09 pm

That's not what I said.
That's why I asked. I thought it seemed like you were suggesting that it was OK for Max to say that because it was a PM.
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:09 pm You and Max apparently for some reason were messaging each other.
Nope, it was the first ever PM I got from Max - completely unsolicited.
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:09 pmSo why did YOU share it with all? These are character attacks trying to make others look bad in the public eyes
I shared it because I thought it was relevant to bring more accuracy to the profile you were presenting. Telling the truth about the kind of things a person says about other people (and the lies they tell about other people) isn't a character attack. And if telling the truth about someone makes them look bad, it's generally because they did bad things. If a person does only good things, telling the truth about them won't make them look bad.

When the Pharisees acted pious in public but acted differently in private, Jesus denounced them publicly. Would you call that a character attack trying to make the Pharisees look bad?
You do not know they are lies. You assumed that.
For some reason he felt he could reach out to you.
I honestly felt Max was justified in his feelings way back then. Boot can hammer away at times. Max was not on the list of people Just me challenged to not post for 30 days. Perhaps in Max experience he recognizes traits of people using meds (I hear this from others who perceive it) and really, many talk bad here about others. Like I said, I have received apologies via pm from observers sympathizing with treatment of me. I tend to publicly defend others- there can be a mob mentality
You trying to tell me the mods regularly put Bootstrap on timeout and justme didn't even know about it?
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:04 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:26 pm
That's why I asked. I thought it seemed like you were suggesting that it was OK for Max to say that because it was a PM.

Nope, it was the first ever PM I got from Max - completely unsolicited.

I shared it because I thought it was relevant to bring more accuracy to the profile you were presenting. Telling the truth about the kind of things a person says about other people (and the lies they tell about other people) isn't a character attack. And if telling the truth about someone makes them look bad, it's generally because they did bad things. If a person does only good things, telling the truth about them won't make them look bad.

When the Pharisees acted pious in public but acted differently in private, Jesus denounced them publicly. Would you call that a character attack trying to make the Pharisees look bad?
I honestly felt Max was justified in his feelings way back then. Boot can hammer away at times. Max was not on the list of people Just me challenged to not post for 30 days. Perhaps in Max experience he recognizes traits of people using meds (I hear this from others who perceive it) and really, many talk bad here about others. Like I said, I have received apologies via pm from observers sympathizing with treatment of me. I tend to publicly defend others- there can be a mob mentality
You trying to tell me the mods regularly put Bootstrap on timeout and justme didn't even know about it?
Well maybe for his own good at times, he goes through phases of hammering- they should suggest that to some of us when we get our knickers in a knot & hotly pursuit another till they're plum worn out & exasperated Maybe if we can't see we need a break a mod can kindly suggest one for our own (& other's) good
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:08 pm

Well maybe for his own good at times, he goes through phases of hammering- they should suggest that to some of us when we get our knickers in a knot & hotly pursuit another till they're plum worn out & exasperated Maybe if we can't see we need a break a mod can kindly suggest one for our own (& other's) good
It takes two, to have a hot pursuit. Speaking of non-resistance. If you get tired of being hotly pursued or hotly pursuing, the solution is the same: just stop. It generally doesn’t take a signed armistice by both parties at all. All it takes is one side to quit, to shut up, and it is over. And that is something anyone can do at anytime.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Seriously, Valerie.

You're the person saying maybe Max wasn't lying when he made that claim. Either Max was lying or, somehow, a user regularly got suspended and justme didn't know anything about it. Do you really, honestly, think that justme wouldn't have known if someone like Bootstrap was regularly suspended?
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

RZehr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:17 pm
It takes two, to have a hot pursuit. Speaking of non-resistance. If you get tired of being hotly pursued or hotly pursuing, the solution is the same: just stop. It generally doesn’t take a signed armistice by both parties at all. All it takes is one side to quit, to shut up, and it is over. And that is something anyone can do at anytime.
Which is exactly why Max chose the foe option to disengage. And, my friend who invited me here long ago just quit. Those are options.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:18 pm
Seriously, Valerie.

You're the person saying maybe Max wasn't lying when he made that claim. Either Max was lying or, somehow, a user regularly got suspended and justme didn't know anything about it. Do you really, honestly, think that justme wouldn't have known if someone like Bootstrap was regularly suspended?
Who knows or cares at this point. Bible warns of useless wranglings so, let's not. Press on, this is futule
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:15 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:01 pm Boot, Josh, Temp , & Ken were asked not to put for a length of time fairly recently?
I didn't realize they were golfers. Who asked them to quit?
I can play putt putt provided you’ll give me a handicap of 1 per hole or so. If we ever all find ourselves in the same place, I hope we can meet at the nearest batting cages/mini golf/go kart track…
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Wow, I certainly didn't intend to expose what is going on behind the scenes with PM (the private messaging feature). I had turned mine off on my board preferences as I didn't want to hear any possible gossip and/or clique participation. I have used the 'foes' function until I can respond to a poster in a loving way. When I get more spiritually mature in this area, I hope to be able to keep this function unused.

I have a long ways to go in learning how to resist beliefs in a loving way and do it without making it a personal slam. I look back over some of my responses and thread creations and realize my motivations were not always what they should be. I hope to do better in the future.

The words we speak (posts we make) reflect what is going on inside of us. Luke 6:45 says, “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” I know when the Holy Spirit is guiding me as when I feel attacked in some way, my response will be the opposite. A response that reflects love and compassion will be evident in the words I chose.

I keep thinking lately of the scripture that 'a soft answer turneth away wrath'. There is something very powerful about responding to harsh words with kindness. There is a great sense of joy that I am walking in the Spirit when I don't give way to my fleshly ways. When I don't have to 'get even' or feel like I have won the debate. Instead when I try to be an encourager and realize my own failings. I, occasionally, have run across believers who just refuse to talk about others negatively but yet they will discuss beliefs without casting stones. I want that more in my life.

I think some may regard not resisting as being weak. Any thoughts on this ?
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:22 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:18 pm

Seriously, Valerie.

Who knows or cares at this point. Bible warns of useless wranglings so, let's not. Press on, this is futule
Look, you are the one that brought this up. You are the one who is suggesting that maybe Bootstrap was regularly suspended by the moderators, making that claim after justme said that such a claim would be incorrect.

Don't you care about the truth? Do you really, honestly, think that justme wouldn't have known if someone like Bootstrap was regularly suspended?
0 x