Practising Non-Resistance

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Practising Non-Resistance

Post by Sudsy »

Recently, in dealing with a perceived attacker of Anabaptism, I am not sure I understand the Anabaptist practise of being non-resistant.

This thread is to share what you believe is meant by being non-resistant and also what you believe it is not.

Inquiring on the Internet - What is the doctrine of non resistance?
It is considered as a form of principled nonviolence or pacifism which rejects all physical violence, whether exercised on individual, group, state or international levels. Practitioners of nonresistance may refuse to retaliate against an opponent or offer any form of self-defense.
Another explanation to - What is the difference between resistance and non resistance?
As nouns the difference between resistance and nonresistance. is that resistance is the act of resisting, or the capacity to resist while nonresistance is lack of resistance; not actively resisting.
And since this is a forum is written violence a form of physical violence ?

Your non-violent response. :)
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Practising Non-Resistance

Post by Neto »

Yes, abusive language is violence. Counteracting false belief is not violence. (In fact, it is required by both the Law, and NT teaching, and is the kindest possible response. The OT Law teaches us that failure to warn will result in sharing in the responsibility for the punishment that will be received by the erring person. In the NT, it is considered one of the Christian 'graces' - that is, a part of responsible fellowship.) Verbal abuse is the most commonly form of violence 'practiced' by self-proclaimed 'Non-Resistants'. (Sticks and stones, and all of that rot.)

Aggressive driving is violence. (I condemn myself in this statement. But I am learning to urge and remind myself before going out on the highway to refrain from responding in kind to the aggression of other drivers, whether perceived, or real - to always "extend grace".)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:10 pm Recently, in dealing with a perceived attacker of Anabaptism, I am not sure I understand the Anabaptist practise of being non-resistant.

This thread is to share what you believe is meant by being non-resistant and also what you believe it is not.

Inquiring on the Internet - What is the doctrine of non resistance?
It is considered as a form of principled nonviolence or pacifism which rejects all physical violence, whether exercised on individual, group, state or international levels. Practitioners of nonresistance may refuse to retaliate against an opponent or offer any form of self-defense.
Another explanation to - What is the difference between resistance and non resistance?
As nouns the difference between resistance and nonresistance. is that resistance is the act of resisting, or the capacity to resist while nonresistance is lack of resistance; not actively resisting.
And since this is a forum is written violence a form of physical violence ?

Your non-violent response. :)
This is an example of when "non-resistance" is a term poorly understood by people outside of plain circles. It does not mean that you never resist against anything.

For example, I am more than happy to "resist" the ideology and opinions of somewhat who expresses violent or hateful rhetoric. For me, being pacifist or nonresistance means I won't try to forcibly silence him by perhaps grabbing his mouth shut, or striking him, or even killing him.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I see no problem with "resisting" information regarding others beliefs and understanding. All denominations get into these disagreements. I just do not see a difference in attitudes, sarcasm & mocking here than I do elsewhere in other denominations and admittedly that really let me down. It is not hard to tell who has been Anabaptist their whole life and who joined, just by attitude difference.

Maybe that is what Sudsy is recognizing too.

The gentlest As Anabaptists I know are Amish and they'd probably be shocked at their Anabaptist brethren here.

Sudsy you have been an example of humbleness and Max has certainly been an example of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.

No doubt it all grieves the Lord's heart
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm Sudsy you have been an example of humbleness and Max has certainly been an example of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.
I generally appreciate Sudsy.

Valerie, I don't want to get into a he-said she-said with Max, but his attitude towards me has been anything but one of humbleness, turning the other cheek, or "forgiveness". Some of the things he has said to me are frankly quite cruel. I only bring this up because it's a persistent pattern of behaviour he's had for years and a way he behaves towards anyone who dares challenge him.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm ...Max has certainly been an example of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.
You mean like when he pm'd me unsolicited to tell me that Bootstrap regularly gets put on time-out here until he goes back on his meds?
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:36 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm ...Max has certainly been an example of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.
You mean like when he pm'd me unsolicited to tell me that Bootstrap regularly gets put on time-out here until he goes back on his meds?
If that was a pm, it was not meant for the public, was it???
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:31 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm Sudsy you have been an example of humbleness and Max has certainly been an example of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.
I generally appreciate Sudsy.

Valerie, I don't want to get into a he-said she-said with Max, but his attitude towards me has been anything but one of humbleness, turning the other cheek, or "forgiveness". Some of the things he has said to me are frankly quite cruel. I only bring this up because it's a persistent pattern of behaviour he's had for years and a way he behaves towards anyone who dares challenge him.
I've been an observer a very long time. I suppose I see it differently, I've at least 3x or more had someone pm me apologizing for the way I've been treated but it wasn't necessary - I don't get rattled that easily.

Just saying the ones who are supposed to be known for being "different" than the world, many are acting much like the world. I feel like you have consistently insulted Max for being a plain Catholic and doubting his words and there's some what of a gang affect of casting stones.
I cannot stand the consistent suspicion and accusations "publicly". To the pure, all things are pure.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm ....
The gentlest As Anabaptists I know are Amish and they'd probably be shocked at their Anabaptist brethren here.
All groups probably have the full gambit of behavioral characteristics, across the spectrum from humble and non-resistant in speech as well as physical action to fully aggressive in both speech and behavior.

I will just say that while I have Amish friends who are about the kindest people I know, I have also seldom been "dressed down" by anyone like I was (more than once) by a certain Amishman I worked with years ago. (Not even many unbelievers have behaved that badly.)

I would also say that another form of 'abuse' in interpersonal interactions is an unwillingness to even listen to another's "side of a story". Questions are asked, but they aren't real questions; they are, rather, accusations in the grammatical FORM of questions.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:24 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm ....
All groups probably have the full gambit of behavioral characteristics, across the spectrum from humble and non-resistant in speech as well as physical action to fully aggressive in both speech and behavior.

I will just say that while I have Amish friends who are about the kindest people I know, I have also seldom been "dressed down" by anyone like I was (more than once) by a certain Amishman I worked with years ago. (Not even many unbelievers have behaved that badly.)

I would also say that another form of 'abuse' in interpersonal interactions is an unwillingness to even listen to another's "side of a story". Questions are asked, but they aren't real questions; they are, rather, accusations in the grammatical FORM of questions.
Understood. I know what you mean about the questions. The sincerity to know and understand needs to work across the aisles too.

Not sure what you mean by "dressed down" and I do realize there can be exceptions in Amish.
1 x