Practising Non-Resistance

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Practising Non-Resistance

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:14 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:36 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm ...Max has certainly been an example of turning the other cheek and forgiveness.
You mean like when he pm'd me unsolicited to tell me that Bootstrap regularly gets put on time-out here until he goes back on his meds?
If that was a pm, it was not meant for the public, was it???
What difference would that make?
Are you suggesting that it's OK to talk nasty about people behind their back as long as we put on a sweet face and say nice things about them in public?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:35 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:24 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:06 pm ....
The gentlest As Anabaptists I know are Amish and they'd probably be shocked at their Anabaptist brethren here.
No doubt it all grieves the Lord's heart
All groups probably have the full gambit of behavioral characteristics, across the spectrum from humble and non-resistant in speech as well as physical action to fully aggressive in both speech and behavior.

I will just say that while I have Amish friends who are about the kindest people I know, I have also seldom been "dressed down" by anyone like I was (more than once) by a certain Amishman I worked with years ago. (Not even many unbelievers have behaved that badly.)

I would also say that another form of 'abuse' in interpersonal interactions is an unwillingness to even listen to another's "side of a story". Questions are asked, but they aren't real questions; they are, rather, accusations in the grammatical FORM of questions.
Understood. I know what you mean about the questions. The sincerity to know and understand needs to work across the aisles too.

Not sure what you mean by "dressed down" and I do realize there can be exceptions in Amish.
A "cussing out" that doesn't have to involve any actual 'cuss words'. I have also seen this played out in how some fathers talk to their grown children. (I mean like children who are already grandparents themselves - a determination to never release control over an adult child.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:37 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:36 pm
You mean like when he pm'd me unsolicited to tell me that Bootstrap regularly gets put on time-out here until he goes back on his meds?
Are you suggesting that it's OK to talk nasty about people behind their back as long as we put on a sweet face and say nice things about them in public?
The whole point in pm is that it is "personal" so said in confidence & trust.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:46 pm
Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:35 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:24 pm

All groups probably have the full gambit of behavioral characteristics, across the spectrum from humble and non-resistant in speech as well as physical action to fully aggressive in both speech and behavior.

I will just say that while I have Amish friends who are about the kindest people I know, I have also seldom been "dressed down" by anyone like I was (more than once) by a certain Amishman I worked with years ago. (Not even many unbelievers have behaved that badly.)

I would also say that another form of 'abuse' in interpersonal interactions is an unwillingness to even listen to another's "side of a story". Questions are asked, but they aren't real questions; they are, rather, accusations in the grammatical FORM of questions.
Understood. I know what you mean about the questions. The sincerity to know and understand needs to work across the aisles too.

Not sure what you mean by "dressed down" and I do realize there can be exceptions in Amish.
A "cussing out" that doesn't have to involve any actual 'cuss words'. I have also seen this played out in how some fathers talk to their grown children. (I mean like children who are already grandparents themselves - a determination to never release control over an adult child.)
I can't imagine anyone getting that mad at you!

Amish parents do seem to cling to their role as parents in speaking into their adult children's lives I notice. Then I think of how Jesus followed His mother's command at the wedding of Cana- He would have been what:-30?
Maybe in some cultures that is normal.
My Mom must be Amish :lol:
1 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

for the record.
the comment about meds? i know nothing about, i do not know if that is true or not.

but the comment about being regularly put on time out?
totally inaccurate. certainly not regularly, and certainly not recently.
if he was ever put on time out, it was a long time ago, so long that i don't remember it.
-jm
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:57 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:37 pm

The whole point in pm is that it is "personal" so said in confidence & trust.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

justme wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:16 pm
for the record.
the comment about meds? i know nothing about, i do not know if that is true or not.

if he was ever put on time out, it was a long time ago, so long that i don't remember it.
-jm
I kind of had an idea at the time that it was simply a bald-faced lie, and became more certain as time passed that it in fact was.

And in my opinion, it's just as bad to lie about people privately as to do so publicly.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:25 pm
for the record.

-jm
I kind of had an idea at the time that it was simply a bald-faced lie, and became more certain as time passed that it in fact was.

And in my opinion, it's just as bad to lie about people privately as to do so publicly.
Did he mean something like he puts Boot on his foes list (time-out) until the tone shifts (back on meds)?

Maybe he meant the meds figuratively and that he was doing the timeout, not the moderators.
Last edited by RZehr on Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

The vast majority of aggression on this forum is passive aggressive. Rarely as displayed do we see active aggressive.

The verse pray for those who curse you is very applicable.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

RZehr wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:25 pm
for the record.

-jm

Did he mean something like he puts Boot on his foes list (time-out) until the tone shifts (back on meds)?

Maybe he meant the meds figuratively and that he was doing the timeout, not the moderators.
Well considering he said the moderators have to put Boot on moderation -- unless he meant the moderators figuratively as well...

Who knows what he meant. All I have to go by is what he said.
0 x