Catholic-Anabaptist ecumenical dialogue

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Catholic-Anabaptist ecumenical dialogue

Post by MaxPC »

In my perspective, I view my Anabaptist friends as friends who are trying to follow Jesus. Those who know me think likewise. I trust God to deal with theological differences when we pray for each other.
Amen.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

God is greater than the sum total of all our worries+sins.
He provides His Way.

God knows+understands our passions and awkwardness.

Romans 14:11
https://biblehub.com/romans/14-11.htm
10Why, then, do you judge your brother? Or why do you belittle your brother? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.

11 It is written: “As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before Me; every tongue will confess to God.”

12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.…

i believe, when we’re following the first 2 Commandments, OT and NT, esp putting God above all, this one thing makes all following commandments “fall into place.” Challenge is, we’re not always in that sublime place. Can we honestly say we love God while we hate our enemies? Scriptures say not. :-| Matthew 5:44 https://biblehub.com/matthew/5-44.htm

Also, who/what is an enemy?
It’s probably not two friends or brothers who disagree, squabble, etc.
Passions are human and important in faith. (Malice is beyond that.) Malice harms all, probably the one with malice most of all.

i’m not put off by passions and plain talk. These things are part of the earthly experience, part of what gives perspective on the overall experience.

God is greater than.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:35 am God is greater than the sum total of all our worries+sins.
He provides His Way.

God knows+understands our passions and awkwardness.

Romans 14:11
https://biblehub.com/romans/14-11.htm
10Why, then, do you judge your brother? Or why do you belittle your brother? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.

11 It is written: “As surely as I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow before Me; every tongue will confess to God.”

12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.…

i believe, when we’re following the first 2 Commandments, OT and NT, esp putting God above all, this one thing makes all following commandments “fall into place.” Challenge is, we’re not always in that sublime place. Can we honestly say we love God while we hate our enemies? Scriptures say not. :-| Matthew 5:44 https://biblehub.com/matthew/5-44.htm

Also, who/what is an enemy?
It’s probably not two friends or brothers who disagree, squabble, etc.
Passions are human and important in faith. (Malice is beyond that.) Malice harms all, probably the one with malice most of all.

i’m not put off by passions and plain talk. These things are part of the earthly experience, part of what gives perspective on the overall experience.

God is greater than.
Thanks for your thoughts, t1, but what does this have to do with ecumenical possibilities between Anabaptists and Catholics?
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:19 am Thanks for your thoughts, t1, but what does this have to do with ecumenical possibilities between Anabaptists and Catholics?
i guess i believe if we truly keep God at center, He will provide His way, even when our words/actions are not immediately reciprocated.

We have a hard time keeping God at center. It sounds easy!
i suspect it’s the first command because it’s of ultimate importance, AND not easy.

In times of trouble/conflict, do we first check our hearts? Or leave that part for later?

God has no limits. No telling how He might use us. i would leave those doors open. And watch for results.

i don’t mean to be vague.
i think the starting place is important. then, be guided from there. don’t underestimate the Holy Spirit. :)
1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, t1, but what does this have to do with ecumenical possibilities between Anabaptists and Catholics?
Here’s something:
Don’t be afraid of passions. Passions reveal heart. Appreciate them, they’re the opposite of “lukewarm.”
God prefers passions over being lukewarm/apethetic. Rev 3:16 https://biblehub.com/revelation/3-16.htm

Not to be confused with malice, dark hearts, darkness.
0 x

UNKNOWN
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

This is another completely silly thread.
What possible dialogue could there be?

First, unlike the RCC talking to the Russian Orthodox or Coptic church there is simply no one (because that is everyone) in the Anabaptist world to talk to there is no one to talk to.

And about what? As others have said, start with the name Anabaptist. Definitionally completely anathema to what Catholics believe on baptism.

Silly. Pointless.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JayP wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:43 pm This is another completely silly thread.
What possible dialogue could there be?

First, unlike the RCC talking to the Russian Orthodox or Coptic church there is simply no one (because that is everyone) in the Anabaptist world to talk to there is no one to talk to.

And about what? As others have said, start with the name Anabaptist. Definitionally completely anathema to what Catholics believe on baptism.

Silly. Pointless.
On this point we agree. Since we generally have extremely decentralized authority,(with certain exceptions) no one speaks for us all. If someone presumed to, and made an agreement, likely the largest part will walk away. There are some areas where we can cooperate, like relief ministries and disaster aid. The protestant language school I attended in Jordan had a Jesuit priest and Dominican nun as students. The Jesuit was interesting, he was "book smart" but his street Arabic was poor. I had difficulty with the academic part, but had good street Arabic. The difference-He had a driver, cook, and someone to shop for groceries. I had none of these, he had way more time to study while I was "dealing with Jordan." He stopped using his driver, I showed him how to use the shared taxi system. While we were there, we would have what I considered a friendship. Being a small minority among 20 million Muslims changes your perspective. Of course, we did not preach in each others churches.
0 x
:hug: