Something not listed above.
No votes

Total votes: 22

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Tell us how you like your steak!

Post by Sudsy »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:40 am
QuietlyListening wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:00 pm Love how a post about how you like your steak turns into a 'discussion' about green house emissions before page 2.
How to take a perfectly fun post and make it controversial.
MN is as bad as FB. Just have to shake my head.
Sorry, my bad. It just struck me that steak was often considered too expensive to have when I was a youth, all except hotdogs which some call 'tube steak'. I think I was in my twenties before I first barbecued a steak. I like mine medium with A1 sauce.

So, what do others put on their steak. Hopefully no one uses ketchup. (Says a career Heinz employee :lol: )
Curious - does anyone here put ketchup on their steak ? I need to add that person to my prayer list. :shock: :P
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:40 am
QuietlyListening wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:00 pm Love how a post about how you like your steak turns into a 'discussion' about green house emissions before page 2.
Sorry, my bad. It just struck me that steak was often considered too expensive to have when I was a youth, all except hotdogs which some call 'tube steak'. I think I was in my twenties before I first barbecued a steak. I like mine medium with A1 sauce.

So, what do others put on their steak. Hopefully no one uses ketchup. (Says a career Heinz employee :lol: )
Curious - does anyone here put ketchup on their steak ? I need to add that person to my prayer list. :shock: :P
It that a more Christlike statement than calling a person's opinions "absurd"?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:40 am Sorry, my bad. It just struck me that steak was often considered too expensive to have when I was a youth.
We were poor, too. We did have steak once in a while, but it was rare.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:40 amCurious - does anyone here put ketchup on their steak ? I need to add that person to my prayer list. :shock: :P
Ketchup? Eeesh. That is for hiding flavor, not enhancing it.

When we do steak it is usually associated with the South American side of my family (my wife's side) and therefore always served with Argentinian Chimichurri or the Chilean version called pebre. Which is a vinegar-based fresh salsa made from some combination of parsley, cilantro, peppers, tomato, garlic, and onions. When we go back to visit there is always at least one family dinner involving enormous unfamiliar cuts of meat on outdoor charcoal gills. They tend to do steak differently than here. They grill big cuts like whole tenderloins then carve off serving size portions to serve. Like we do with prime rib.

Like Ohio Jones, my own family was too poor (or perhaps too frugal) to eat steak growing up. The closest we ever got to steak as a child was fried liver or hamburger-based casseroles. Or maybe the very rare Sunday roast. So our family's steak eating traditions come entirely from my wife's side.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:28 pm Like Ohio Jones, my own family was too poor (or perhaps too frugal) to eat steak growing up. The closest we ever got to steak as a child was fried liver or hamburger-based casseroles. Or maybe the very rare Sunday roast. So our family's steak eating traditions come entirely from my wife's side.
Does "very rare" come between rare and medium-rare, or between raw and rare?
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:55 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:28 pm Like Ohio Jones, my own family was too poor (or perhaps too frugal) to eat steak growing up. The closest we ever got to steak as a child was fried liver or hamburger-based casseroles. Or maybe the very rare Sunday roast. So our family's steak eating traditions come entirely from my wife's side.
Does "very rare" come between rare and medium-rare, or between raw and rare?
Exactly as rare as you would expect it to be when mom puts a roast in the oven with carrots and potatoes and pulls it out after church. I expect the rareness depends on how long the church services are in your particular denomination. A 4-hour old order Amish service would give you the least rare roast I suspect.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:37 pm

It that a more Christlike statement than calling a person's opinions "absurd"?
I would say it is not a serious derogatory statement as it is presented in jest accompanied by smilies.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

HP sauce on the side but not drowning the steer. Some steaks are delicious without sauce. Others need help. I am not sure why there would be a difference in flavor other than the diet of the steer.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Grace wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:55 pm
Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:05 pm What ? Christians indulge in steak ? How is this not living extravagantly ? ;)

An additional thought - Beef is a significant source of global greenhouse gas emissions: Its carbon footprint is eight times that of chicken’s and five times that of pork’s. From here - https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... in-the-us/
We don't eat steak, but not for the reasons you listed. Hubby is a hunter, so if there is any steak at this house, it is venison steak....
We don't buy steak for all three reasons, although I'll enjoy it if it's served. Venison steak is delicious.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

JimFoxvog wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:13 am
Grace wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:55 pm
Sudsy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:05 pm What ? Christians indulge in steak ? How is this not living extravagantly ? ;)

An additional thought - Beef is a significant source of global greenhouse gas emissions: Its carbon footprint is eight times that of chicken’s and five times that of pork’s. From here - https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... in-the-us/
We don't eat steak, but not for the reasons you listed. Hubby is a hunter, so if there is any steak at this house, it is venison steak....
We don't buy steak for all three reasons, although I'll enjoy it if it's served. Venison steak is delicious.
We never buy cut steaks. The prices are prohibitive. At my store, we do sell whole beef loins from time to time, which is the cheapest way to get steak by cutting up the loin yourself. Even those can be pricey, but for example, we typically sell ungraded strip loins for around 4.49 per pound, which isn't that much more than ground beef. A whole loin can weigh from 10-15 pounds. So if we have one of those that loses its vacuum seal or can't be sold for some reason, we will cut one of them up for steaks. Ungraded ribeye loins can run $7 or $8/lb. and whole loins can cost up to $125. USDA choice and prime loins are far higher. It's amazing what the raw product costs even for stores, which typically run fresh meat on tight margins and have some loss.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3