Nonviolence?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Nonviolence?

Post by Josh »

I would note much of the civil rights movement was indeed violent, despite claiming not to be.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

JayP wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:21 am The US civil rights movement demonstrates well the differences between non resistance and pacifism.

Not passing judgment, just illustrating that the civil rights activists were non violent in their resistance, but they did resist.
A traditional Anabaptist, as opposed to a liberal Mennonite, would not have joined them.

If you tell a non resistance person to move to the back of the bus, they go.
I think this explains the difference well.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:20 pm
There's a difference between keeping peace and "making peace". I think that the Bible includes more admonitions to keep peace. Now, keeping peace may occasionally and in a small way contribute to making peace, but most modern attempts to "make peace" - may they be clever or stupid - have no models in the Bible.
Imho "peacemaing" should be seen as a secondary aspect: We make peace so that it will become more easy to keep peace!
I'm curious why you think this considering Jesus' most obvious teaching in the sermon on the mountain was specifically to peacemakers, not peace keepers.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If I am conversing with Anabaptists I will use the term nonresistance, but I have found non Christians or believers from other faith traditions genuinely do not understand that terminology. They tend to equate it with a determination to remain passive in the face of evil.
0 x