Brethren Revival Fellowship

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Brethren Revival Fellowship

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MaxPC wrote: Heir, I'll be happy to help you via PM. That way I won't feel like I'm taking over a Mennonite/Anabaptist forum with a Catholic thread. I'll PM you so can get your questions answered. There is a bit of a trick to reading the CCC. The different sections build upon each other: first the doctrine then the sections on applying that teaching to daily life.

Anyone else reading the CCC let me know via PM and we can converse all together.
Max, if you're willing, I'd just as soon have an open discussion, since others might have the same discussion or other perspectives to share. I don't think you'll alter this forum from being Anabaptist by virtue of a Catholic thread or two, but thanks for the consideration. I'll title said post under Catholic Questions. It could provide a valuable opportunity for you to clear up other possible misconceptions about the HRCC, especially in light of our inherited narratives and the less than cordial history between it and most Anabaptist movements historically.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Heir, I'll be happy to help you via PM. That way I won't feel like I'm taking over a Mennonite/Anabaptist forum with a Catholic thread. I'll PM you so can get your questions answered. There is a bit of a trick to reading the CCC. The different sections build upon each other: first the doctrine then the sections on applying that teaching to daily life.

Anyone else reading the CCC let me know via PM and we can converse all together.
Max, if you're willing, I'd just as soon have an open discussion, since others might have the same discussion or other perspectives to share. I don't think you'll alter this forum from being Anabaptist by virtue of a Catholic thread or two, but thanks for the consideration. I'll title said post under Catholic Questions. It could provide a valuable opportunity for you to clear up other possible misconceptions about the HRCC, especially in light of our inherited narratives and the less than cordial history between it and most Anabaptist movements historically.
I certainly would not feel you were "taking over a Mennonite/Anabaptist forum" by having an open discussion of Catholic beliefs and practices if it remains an open discussion and not an attempt to proselytize or to belittle another's beliefs. I think there are many misconceptions in the minds of many as to what Catholics actually believe.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote:
Heirbyadoption wrote:

I certainly would not feel you were "taking over a Mennonite/Anabaptist forum" by having an open discussion of Catholic beliefs and practices if it remains an open discussion and not an attempt to proselytize or to belittle another's beliefs. I think there are many misconceptions in the minds of many as to what Catholics actually believe.
Thank you. I try to steer clear of belittling anyone's beliefs because God will do the judging, not me. I only see in the glass darkly but I do believe that the Anabaptist vision is an important one: I wouldn't want to convert anyone away from that vision as it does seek to bring important Biblical teachings to the foreground.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Does anyone have a list of all the BRF associated COB churches?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Haystack wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the BRF associated COB churches?
I don't think there is such a thing. If you look at the people who serve on the board, they come from the more conservative congregations anyway in the Lancaster/Lebanon area. I wouldn't be surprised if BRF wouldn't have an impact on COB churches pulling away from the district, or the entire conference for that matter.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Haystack wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the BRF associated COB churches?
I don't think there is such a thing. If you look at the people who serve on the board, they come from the more conservative congregations anyway in the Lancaster/Lebanon area. I wouldn't be surprised if BRF wouldn't have an impact on COB churches pulling away from the district, or the entire conference for that matter.
So they have little influence outside of Lancaster/Lebanon area, interesting. Looking at their web site and seeing how long they've been around, I was under the impression that they had a larger following than that. Thanks Steve.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Haystack wrote: So they have little influence outside of Lancaster/Lebanon area, interesting. Looking at their web site and seeing how long they've been around, I was under the impression that they had a larger following than that. Thanks Steve.
I'm not so sure I'd make that assumption. I was told its a "sleeping giant." I honestly didn't know much about them until the past few months.
0 x

steve-in-kville

If you look at history, the BRF is the same idea that the Bible Monitor was to the Dunkard Brethren way back... it was a conservative movement within a church that eventually pulled away.

As I understand, its the same concept that KMF had when it was in the Lancaster Conference.... a conservative movement that eventually pulled away.
0 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Haystack wrote: So they have little influence outside of Lancaster/Lebanon area, interesting. Looking at their web site and seeing how long they've been around, I was under the impression that they had a larger following than that. Thanks Steve.
I'm not so sure I'd make that assumption. I was told its a "sleeping giant." I honestly didn't know much about them until the past few months.
Here's their Contact list. Someone there may be able to give you a list of churches local to you.
http://www.brfwitness.org/contact-brf/

From their website: A year ago they wrote of a possible impending split in the COB over a district's choice of a married lesbian pastor.
http://www.brfwitness.org/groundswells- ... -brethren/

Here's the main website with quite a few links on both the left and right side.
http://www.brfwitness.org/

They have a Brethren Bible Institute every summer.
http://www.brfwitness.org/brethren-bible-institute/
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God