Generational Sins/Curses

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Generational Sins/Curses

Post by MaxPC »

Internet and mobile still a bit dodgy after that storm and the AT&T meltdown. Having trouble pulling up a search on the board so shall ask here. Lately I have heard conversations among various denominations referencing Generational Sins or Curses. Yet the definition seems to vary from one group to another.

1.How do you define Generational Sins or Curses?
2.Does your fellowship believe in this?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Generational Sins/Curses

Post by Josh »

To search the board, go to https://google.com/

Then type in:

site:MennoNet.com <thing you want to search for>
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:55 pm Internet and mobile still a bit dodgy after that storm and the AT&T meltdown. Having trouble pulling up a search on the board so shall ask here. Lately I have heard conversations among various denominations referencing Generational Sins or Curses. Yet the definition seems to vary from one group to another.

I think there is a fine line between characteristics that children pick up from their parents that could be defined as sin. In example: bitterness and envy for starters. Generational? Yes, I have seen such as mentioned above broken by a generation that was determined not to allow it to go on.

Whenever I heard it talked about was in the context of an excuse as to why someone "had a failing. Like "well, the dad was an adulterer, so I guess that is where the son got it."

My immediate thoughts, anyway.

There are others here on MN more attuned to such subjects.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06 pm
MaxPC wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:55 pm Internet and mobile still a bit dodgy after that storm and the AT&T meltdown. Having trouble pulling up a search on the board so shall ask here. Lately I have heard conversations among various denominations referencing Generational Sins or Curses. Yet the definition seems to vary from one group to another.

I think there is a fine line between characteristics that children pick up from their parents that could be defined as sin. In example: bitterness and envy for starters. Generational? Yes, I have seen such as mentioned above broken by a generation that was determined not to allow it to go on.

Whenever I heard it talked about was in the context of an excuse as to why someone "had a failing. Like "well, the dad was an adulterer, so I guess that is where the son got it."

My immediate thoughts, anyway.

There are others here on MN more attuned to such subjects.
Indeed and agreed. I have heard that aspect of it re the individual family. In that case it was the mother passing on a spirit of bitterness and holding a grudge to the son. The son engaged in obsessive behaviors as well, verbal abuse of his wife, etc.

Another context mentioned was that of a generation of an entire fellowship. Thoughts?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God