Why I became an Anabaptist

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Lex
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Why I became an Anabaptist

Post by Lex »

Peace to you, I'm Lex, I've been an Anabaptist for about a week.
After much research, I have come to the conclusion that Anabaptism is the most biblical denomination.
I would like to give the reasons why Anabaptism is the most biblical denomination.
First I will give reasons why Protestantism is more biblical than Catholicism, then I will explain why Anabaptism is the most biblical of all Protestant denominations.

Reasons why Protestantism is more biblical than Catholicism:

1. The Old Testament Canon
Catholics have 7 more books in their Bible. They have added words to the Bible, although the Bible condemns this very harshly (Rev 22:18-19). Protestants, on the other hand, follow the Jewish canon of the OT, which makes more sense because the OT was first given to the Jews.

2. Veneration of Saints and Icons
Catholics bow down to images and speak to saints who have already died. This is clearly idolatry. The Bible forbids bowing down to images (Jes 2:8) and speaking to the dead (Deut 18:11). Moreover, Catholics give Mary an exaggerated position. They venerate Mary as the Queen of Heaven and claim that Mary has been sinless since her birth. Protestants do not engage in these practices.

Reasons why Anabaptism is the most biblical of all Protestant denominations:

1. Pacifism
Anabaptism is a pacifist denomination that does not use violence even in self-defense. This is impressive and biblical (Matt 5:39-41). The apostles were also pacifists, they allowed themselves to be insulted and beaten (Acts 5:40-41).

2. Communism
Anabaptism is biblical (not atheistic!) communist. The Bible teaches true communism (Luke 18:22, Acts 4:34-35). Biblical communism means that Christians cannot be rich in this world while there are people who are starving. Christians must help the poor.

3. Perfection
Anabaptism is for perfection. This means Christians must live a life without sin because that is what the Bible says (Matt 5:48, 1 John 3:6). However, if a Christian sins, he must repent, but true repentance means not repeating the sin (Pro 26:11). Someone who regularly sins or repeats a sin cannot be a Christian (Matt 7:21).

4. Separation
Anabaptism is really for separation from the world. The world is evil and belongs to the devil (Luke 4:5-6), therefore one must separate oneself from the world (John 15:19). Someone who likes Hollywood, for example, cannot be a Christian.

These are the reasons why I became an Anabaptist. Thank you for reading this far.

Praise be to Jesus.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Why I became an Anabaptist

Post by Ernie »

Good afternoon,

Welcome to Mennonet. Are you comfortable telling us where you are from and how you got interested in Anabaptists?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Lex

Post by Lex »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:41 pm Good afternoon,

Welcome to Mennonet. Are you comfortable telling us where you are from and how you got interested in Anabaptists?
I am from Europe.
I was looking for the most biblical denomination, I was comparing different denominations and during this process I came across Anabaptism which for me was the most biblical of all.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Lex wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:32 pm Peace to you, I'm Lex, I've been an Anabaptist for about a week.
After much research, I have come to the conclusion that Anabaptism is the most biblical denomination.
I would like to give the reasons why Anabaptism is the most biblical denomination.
First I will give reasons why Protestantism is more biblical than Catholicism, then I will explain why Anabaptism is the most biblical of all Protestant denominations.
Hello and welcome to MennoNet.

Catholics have 7 more books in their Bible. They have added words to the Bible, although the Bible condemns this very harshly (Rev 22:18-19). Protestants, on the other hand, follow the Jewish canon of the OT, which makes more sense because the OT was first given to the Jews.
Well, many Protestants (Anglicans in particular) affirm the apocrypha. So do many Anabaptists, particularly Amish, Old Colonists, and other German-speaking Anabaptists.
Catholics bow down to images and speak to saints who have already died. This is clearly idolatry. The Bible forbids bowing down to images (Jes 2:8) and speaking to the dead (Deut 18:11). Moreover, Catholics give Mary an exaggerated position. They venerate Mary as the Queen of Heaven and claim that Mary has been sinless since her birth. Protestants do not engage in these practices.
Most Protestants by numbers do these things (Anglicans in particular), but I agree we shouldn’t venerate icons or bow down to images. However, praying to deceased saints was a common practice in first temple Judaism and the Bible doesn’t speak against it, although it is something I think we should avoid.

1. Pacifism
Anabaptism is a pacifist denomination that does not use violence even in self-defense. This is impressive and biblical (Matt 5:39-41). The apostles were also pacifists, they allowed themselves to be insulted and beaten (Acts 5:40-41).
I would call Anabaptists “non-resistant” as “pacifism” is not a Bible world and has political connotations.
2. Communism
Anabaptism is biblical (not atheistic!) communist. The Bible teaches true communism (Luke 18:22, Acts 4:34-35). Biblical communism means that Christians cannot be rich in this world while there are people who are starving. Christians must help the poor.
I agree we should live with a common purse per Acts 2 & 4, but most Anabaptists don’t live that way. Hutterites and a handful of others do.
3. Perfection
Anabaptism is for perfection. This means Christians must live a life without sin because that is what the Bible says (Matt 5:48, 1 John 3:6). However, if a Christian sins, he must repent, but true repentance means not repeating the sin (Pro 26:11). Someone who regularly sins or repeats a sin cannot be a Christian (Matt 7:21).
Yes, but I would be cautious of laying heavy condemnation on a brother who struggles.
4. Separation
Anabaptism is really for separation from the world. The world is evil and belongs to the devil (Luke 4:5-6), therefore one must separate oneself from the world (John 15:19). Someone who likes Hollywood, for example, cannot be a Christian.
I would say many Christians don’t have a full set of biblical convictions. But I would give them grace to have some blind spots like liking Hollywood. I was once there myself.
1 x
Lex

Post by Lex »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:07 pm
Lex wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:32 pm Peace to you, I'm Lex, I've been an Anabaptist for about a week.
Hello and welcome to MennoNet.

Well, many Protestants (Anglicans in particular) affirm the apocrypha. So do many Anabaptists, particularly Amish, Old Colonists, and other German-speaking Anabaptists.
Most Protestants by numbers do these things (Anglicans in particular), but I agree we shouldn’t venerate icons or bow down to images. However, praying to deceased saints was a common practice in first temple Judaism and the Bible doesn’t speak against it, although it is something I think we should avoid.

1. Pacifism
I would call Anabaptists “non-resistant” as “pacifism” is not a Bible world and has political connotations.
2. Communism
I agree we should live with a common purse per Acts 2 & 4, but most Anabaptists don’t live that way. Hutterites and a handful of others do.
3. Perfection
Yes, but I would be cautious of laying heavy condemnation on a brother who struggles.
4. Separation
I would say many Christians don’t have a full set of biblical convictions. But I would give them grace to have some blind spots like liking Hollywood. I was once there myself.
1. No, that is not correct. They do use the Apocrypha, but they do not regard them as canonical as the Catholics do.
2. Of all the Protestant denominations, Anglicanism is probably the most similar to the Catholic Church. However, I wouldn't say that most Protestants do that.
3. There are certainly "Anabaptists" who do not really live like Anabaptists. But of all Protestant denominations, Anabaptism remains the only one known for biblical communism.
4. I have mentioned clear passages in the Bible which say that anyone who sins regularly is not a Christian. Being a Christian means following Christ, living like him. Someone who sins regularly is not like Jesus at all.
5. You have to separate yourself from the world, I have given Bible verses. And as for Hollywood: it is totally wicked. The movie and music industry is poison for the spirit, it separates you from God. You have to separate yourself from it. But not only Hollywood, nationalism/patriotism is also worldly poison.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

You are a clear thinker, I like the reasons you give. And welcome to MennoNet!
Did you know that Menno Simons quoted from the Apocrypha along with the Hebrew canon?

http://www.mennosimons.net/ft026-truech ... elief.html
This the pious and aged Eleazar believed, who was well versed in the law, 2 Macc. 6:18, and the god-fearing, virtuous mother, with her seven sons, 2 Macc. 7:1, the three faithful young men in the fiery furnace, the beloved Daniel, and the fair, virtuous Susanna, the honorable pattern of all pious women, Daniel 13. They would rather endure for a season the wrath and fury of tyrants, than sin, and thus bring upon themselves the eternal anger and wrath of God. The righteous, say the Scriptures, live by faith. For the true evangelical faith, which makes the heart sincere and pious before God, moves, changes, urges and constrains a man, so that he will always hate the evil, and willingly do the things which are right and just; even as it is unnecessary to admonish or warn a man of understanding not to cut his own throat, or drink poison, or thrust himself from a high tower, or run into deep water; for he well knows if he did so, he could not escape death.
The Protestant Bible does not have 2 Maccabees, and Daniel does not tell the story of Susanna in the Protestant canon. You see this in the writings of other early Anabaptists, too.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Lex

Post by Lex »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:01 pm
You are a clear thinker, I like the reasons you give. And welcome to MennoNet!
Did you know that Menno Simons quoted from the Apocrypha along with the Hebrew canon?

http://www.mennosimons.net/ft026-truech ... elief.html
This the pious and aged Eleazar believed, who was well versed in the law, 2 Macc. 6:18, and the god-fearing, virtuous mother, with her seven sons, 2 Macc. 7:1, the three faithful young men in the fiery furnace, the beloved Daniel, and the fair, virtuous Susanna, the honorable pattern of all pious women, Daniel 13. They would rather endure for a season the wrath and fury of tyrants, than sin, and thus bring upon themselves the eternal anger and wrath of God. The righteous, say the Scriptures, live by faith. For the true evangelical faith, which makes the heart sincere and pious before God, moves, changes, urges and constrains a man, so that he will always hate the evil, and willingly do the things which are right and just; even as it is unnecessary to admonish or warn a man of understanding not to cut his own throat, or drink poison, or thrust himself from a high tower, or run into deep water; for he well knows if he did so, he could not escape death.
The Protestant Bible does not have 2 Maccabees, and Daniel does not tell the story of Susanna in the Protestant canon. You see this in the writings of other early Anabaptists, too.
From https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Apocrypha:

The Anabaptists, and following them the Mennonites, of all countries in general followed the Reformers and the Protestant churches in denying divine inspiration and authoritative character to the Old Testament Apocrypha. Certain books, particularly Sirach, Tobit and the Wisdom of Solomon, were highly esteemed however, and Neff claims that Hans Denck cites them, particularly Sirach, as equal in authority with the Old Testament books.

Among the Anabaptist martyrs and the leaders like Menno Simons and Dirk Philips we find the apocryphal books of the Old Testament frequently cited, especially The Wisdom of Solomon and Jesus Sirach. Vos said that Menno ascribes to the Apocrypha the same authority as to the canonical Scriptures. This is not correct, and is especially not true of Dirk Philips. The attitude of the early Mennonites to the Apocrypha and its relation to the canon can be clearly seen in the conversation of the martyr Jacques d'Auchy with the inquisitor Lindanus. Lindanus is trying to prove the Catholic doctrine of purgatory and the Mass for the dead, and to do so refers to 1 Maccabees. 12:43. Jacques, who to be sure cites the books of the Apocrypha as edifying literature, refuses to ascribe to them any authority for Christian teaching, saying, "The early Christians used this name [Apocrypha] to designate that they are not authentic books from which a rule or ordinance might be taken." Further he says, "I do not find that Christ and His apostles accepted them [the Apocryphal books] or drew any testimony from them." The opinion of Dr. J. H. Wessel seems correct: "It seems to me that we shall not find among the Anabaptists that they put the Apocrypha on a par with the canonical books."
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Hi Lex. There is much here on this site regarding Anabaptism in all it's forms.

Would love to read your personal testimony sometime regarding when you became a Christian and your path that brought you to Anabaptism.

Join in whenever and wherever you can here. God bless !
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Lex wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:51 pm 1. No, that is not correct. They do use the Apocrypha, but they do not regard them as canonical as the Catholics do.
I disagree. Early Anabaptists freely quoted the apocrypha and they held the same standards of what is canonical as the Catholics did.
2. Of all the Protestant denominations, Anglicanism is probably the most similar to the Catholic Church. However, I wouldn't say that most Protestants do that.
Anglicanism is one of the biggest Protestant subdivisions. So I would consider them as important.
3. There are certainly "Anabaptists" who do not really live like Anabaptists. But of all Protestant denominations, Anabaptism remains the only one known for biblical communism.
Very few Anabaptists keep a common purse. (I do, but I am an odd duck.)

No Anabaptists who keep a common purse identify as “communists”. They might call it community.
4. I have mentioned clear passages in the Bible which say that anyone who sins regularly is not a Christian. Being a Christian means following Christ, living like him. Someone who sins regularly is not like Jesus at all.
I would narrow that down to intentional, premeditated sin.
5. You have to separate yourself from the world, I have given Bible verses. And as for Hollywood: it is totally wicked. The movie and music industry is poison for the spirit, it separates you from God. You have to separate yourself from it. But not only Hollywood, nationalism/patriotism is also worldly poison.
I agree but would hesitate to condemn everyone who hasn’t reached convictions of that yet.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Lex wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:32 pmPeace to you, I'm Lex, I've been an Anabaptist for about a week.
So by being Anabaptist for a week... what happened a week ago that made you an Anabaptist?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"