Why I became an Anabaptist

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Why I became an Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Lex wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:32 pm 1. Pacifism
Anabaptism is a pacifist denomination that does not use violence even in self-defense. This is impressive and biblical (Matt 5:39-41). The apostles were also pacifists, they allowed themselves to be insulted and beaten (Acts 5:40-41).

2. Communism
Anabaptism is biblical (not atheistic!) communist. The Bible teaches true communism (Luke 18:22, Acts 4:34-35). Biblical communism means that Christians cannot be rich in this world while there are people who are starving. Christians must help the poor.

3. Perfection
Anabaptism is for perfection. This means Christians must live a life without sin because that is what the Bible says (Matt 5:48, 1 John 3:6). However, if a Christian sins, he must repent, but true repentance means not repeating the sin (Pro 26:11). Someone who regularly sins or repeats a sin cannot be a Christian (Matt 7:21).

4. Separation
Anabaptism is really for separation from the world. The world is evil and belongs to the devil (Luke 4:5-6), therefore one must separate oneself from the world (John 15:19). Someone who likes Hollywood, for example, cannot be a Christian.
Welcome. I, too joined the Mennonite Church some 30 years ago. I found much of what I was looking for in theology within it.

1. This took me a while to grow in it, but I adhere to it as much as I can now. I am not a passivist as many Anabaptists. I am not the quiet in the land, but feel free to speak out and call out. I am a pacifist. I feel life is precious and only up to God to take away. In so doing, I do not support abortion, the death penalty, or assisted suicide.

2. There is a lot of communal focus in Anabaptism. This must be voluntary and not forced by governments or communities. Hutterites do try to live by the "common purse." Most other Anabaptists do not, but communal living, sharing, and support is very common.

3. We do strive for holiness. We are part of the Holiness "movement," yet we all know we fall short of the perfection of God and need grace just as much as anyone else.

4. Separation is done differently be each group. A group can be a denomination, or just a local church who decides where they want to draw the line of being "in the world but not of the world." Some Amish draw very strong lines. Mennonite Church USA draws very weak lines and would not be considered living a separate lifestyle.

What I found about Anabaptism is a theology that is very scriptural. What I found after 30 years of following that path is many people who are broken, as I am, and working to find their path. Some count too heavily on heritage while others work to live their faith daily, just like many other faith expressions. I have learned to hold to the theology and use grace on the followers, just as I need grace from them.
5 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Why I became an Anabaptist

Post by Ernie »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:45 pm
Lex wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:32 pmPeace to you, I'm Lex, I've been an Anabaptist for about a week.
So by being Anabaptist for a week... what happened a week ago that made you an Anabaptist?
???
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"