22%
4- Other, please explain.
33%

Total votes: 9

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Prosper & Greed- Part 2

Post by Ken »

You are probably already invested in US Treasuries if you have any kind of interest-generating savings account, money market account, mutual fund, Social Security, public or private pension, health insurance, or life insurance of any kind. Or have any ownership in any business that has any of the above.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:41 pm You are probably already invested in US Treasuries if you have any kind of interest-generating savings account, money market account, mutual fund, Social Security, public or private pension, health insurance, or life insurance of any kind. Or have any ownership in any business that has any of the above.
Which is why certain Anabaptists eschewed all of the above (and some still do).
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I won't because I don't want to lend the government money for weapons. I am far from guiltless. When I have the time and energy, I will look for something better than a bank. Then it's not me lending the money for evil purposes, but still enabling.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:01 pm Spin-off of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6576

Would you invest in US Treasuries? Why or why not?

Think savings bonds, treasury bills, etc.

It's a long story.... vote & discuss. If this drifts into politics (and we all know it will) please remain civil and polite. No foaming at the mouth and snapping at each other 8-)
I would. But I would not buy a bond that specifically is for something I am against.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

RZehr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:38 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6576

It's a long story.... vote & discuss. If this drifts into politics (and we all know it will) please remain civil and polite. No foaming at the mouth and snapping at each other 8-)
I would. But I would not buy a bond that specifically is for something I am against.
That's a good way of looking at it.

I think we as Christians, especially conservative Anabaptist, tend to read into stuff like this and end up going down a rabbit hole in a way. Not saying it's always a bad thing, as we should think for ourselves and draw our own conclusions.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:25 am
RZehr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:38 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6576

That's a good way of looking at it.

I think we as Christians, especially conservative Anabaptist, tend to read into stuff like this and end up going down a rabbit hole in a way. Not saying it's always a bad thing, as we should think for ourselves and draw our own conclusions.
Sometimes we like it down there with the rabbits in the dark.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:52 am
I'll tell this story, to tell another later. We knew a lady in a pretty conservative setting that was huge into alternative medicine. have a headache? Dare not take an Aspirin as you are supporting abortion (however she came to that conclusion). She was very "book read" but failed to think for herself.

But then she also had a magical pipe buried in her yard that kept her healthy. But like I said, that's another story....
Last edited by steve-in-kville on Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:03 am
RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:52 am
I'll tell this story, to tell another later. We knew a lady in a pretty conservative setting that was huge int alternative medicine. have a headache? Dare not take an Aspirin as you are supporting abortion (however she came to that conclusion). She was very "book read" but failed to think for herself.

But then she also had a magical pipe buried in her yard that kept her healthy. But like I said, that's another story....
That actually makes some sense. It’s probably the actually a hookah? And when she’s not using it, a caterpillar is smoking it while seated on a mushroom? Wait… is her name Alice?
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If we take the New Testament on money at face value, we would assume money is dangerous and keeping it, storing it and growing it are corrosive to the soul and will separate you from God eternally. Since this is an unattractive proposition there is a constant gravitational force toward finding theologies to relieve the pain of this observation. I find this to be the subtext of almost all Christian teaching on money and finance.

How can one live free from the deleterious effects of money as outlined in the NT, I don't know. The system has many tentacles and angles that pull back to the center. Are T-bills more or less dangerous than common funds such as a bank might use. Are real estate investments morally pure or do they run up housing costs for the truly needy. Is it better to abandon as much of the system as you can or try to capture the power of wealth and direct it toward good in hopes of creating more healing in the world than the damage it causes. I don't know.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:41 am If we take the New Testament on money at face value, we would assume money is dangerous and keeping it, storing it and growing it are corrosive to the soul and will separate you from God eternally. Since this is an unattractive proposition there is a constant gravitational force toward finding theologies to relieve the pain of this observation. I find this to be the subtext of almost all Christian teaching on money and finance.

How can one live free from the deleterious effects of money as outlined in the NT, I don't know. The system has many tentacles and angles that pull back to the center. Are T-bills more or less dangerous than common funds such as a bank might use. Are real estate investments morally pure or do they run up housing costs for the truly needy. Is it better to abandon as much of the system as you can or try to capture the power of wealth and direct it toward good in hopes of creating more healing in the world than the damage it causes. I don't know.
Answers are found in Acts 2 and 4.

When someone had excess real estate, they sold it and gave the funds at the apostles’ feet. It was then distributed to those who had need.

We don’t see the early church making “investments” in things on earth, but instead in things of eternal value.
0 x