To grow & prosper vs. greed?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

To grow & prosper vs. greed?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I was trying to think of a simple way to explain greed to young children and soon realized that I myself didn't have a grasp on the issue.

So I got thinking of an issue we used to have years ago at the supper table. I remember my wife made hotdogs for supper one day, which was (and still is) a family favorite. The boys (as boys are) had already scarfed more than their share of hotdogs. I was happy with just one.

Left on the plate was one lonely hotdog left, and I could see my oldest three boys chewing and swallowing as fast possible to get that last dog. Both my wife and I took note of this, so I solved the problem and took the last hotdog for myself, just to prove a point and possibly teach a lesson.

So, would greed be wanting something we really don't need, but don't want to see someone else have? Is it more than that? How to we balance financial growth both personally and in business?

Look forward to reading any comments on this.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: To grow & prosper vs. greed?

Post by Soloist »

So… you got to be the greedy one? :dance:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:05 pm So… you got to be the greedy one? :dance:
:lol: Leading by example is always best!
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Definition of "greed" is "intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food".

When it comes to money, I often wondered where the line is between saving for the future, and being greedy.
0 x
steve-in-kville

RZehr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:06 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:05 pm So… you got to be the greedy one? :dance:
More like putting an end to the chance of someone chocking on a hotdog due to greed. I was the hero in that situation 8-)
2 x

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I don't think it is so much about thresholds of wealth as motivation.

There isn't some limit to wealth or possessions where one goes from prudent to greedy. Wealth is an arbitrary criteria.

I think it is more about motivation. Are your actions and life motivated by greed or by other more altruistic reasons?

Do I choose to work late to earn extra overtime or come home to spend time with my family?
Do I choose X career which pays less but is about helping people? Or do I choose Y career which is mainly about earning lots of money?
Am I generous or stingy with my time and resources when others are in need?

And so forth.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:27 pm
RZehr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:06 pm
More like putting an end to the chance of someone chocking on a hotdog due to greed. I was the hero in that situation 8-)
It is very admirable of you to willingly sacrifice yourself in that way! See what I mean about leading by example?
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Grace wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm Definition of "greed" is "intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food".

When it comes to money, I often wondered where the line is between saving for the future, and being greedy.
The question to ask would be "Is this need or greed?"
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville

ohio jones wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:25 pm
Grace wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:18 pm Definition of "greed" is "intense and selfish desire for something, especially wealth, power, or food".

The question to ask would be "Is this need or greed?"
Very good question we all need to ask ourselves.

I never wanted to be dripping with money. Comfortable, yes. I wanted to be able to help my children when I could, be able to give more than 10% in tithes, and help out some other ministries and organizations on my own dime.

I guess that picture looks different to all of us.
0 x