Another divorce question

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Another divorce question

Post by ABC 123 »

Thinking about this due to several situations I am aware of...

If you are a CA and your adult son or daughter lost his/her way and divorced (their spouse), what would your response be? The world says to side with your own child and let the in-law go.

What do you think? In-law is devastated but a faithful Christian. Your own child is an adulterer.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Another divorce question

Post by Josh »

ABC 123 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:34 am Thinking about this due to several situations I am aware of...

If you are a CA and your adult son or daughter lost his/her way and divorced (their spouse), what would your response be? The world says to side with your own child and let the in-law go.

What do you think? In-law is devastated but a faithful Christian. Your own child is an adulterer.
Well. I can tell you what I’ve seen in CA circles: about half the time. The family sides with family and finds endless excuses to tolerate their adulterous son or daughter.

About half the time, they recognise their child has fallen into sin.

In our own church, church leadership including impartial “outside” leaders get involved in these cases and adjudicate where fault lies, and excommunicate the guilty party. Infidelity is the most common reason, or else other forms of gross immorality. Sometimes both parties are expelled.

Some families have an attitude of always protect their own and then get upset with the church for doing this. They will actually complain their son or daughter got expelled for adultery and blame the poor wife or husband for not loving or pleasing their spouse enough. In extreme cases, the whole family leaves the church over it - and will go to an evangelical church with a sob story of how a “cult” forced them to leave, but conveniently leave out the blatant affairs their son was having, or visits to strip clubs and seedy truck stop establishments.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Not to hijack your thread, and maybe this should be a thread of its own, but what if a child came out as being gay? What then? How should a parent react?

(must have double posted with Josh 8-) )
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:48 am Not to hijack your thread, and maybe this should be a thread of its own, but what if a child came out as being gay? What then? How should a parent react?

The same way as if my child decided to “come out” as a fornicator.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:50 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:48 am Not to hijack your thread, and maybe this should be a thread of its own, but what if a child came out as being gay? What then? How should a parent react?

The same way as if my child decided to “come out” as a fornicator.
I can see your point.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

We have a lady working for us who has an interesting story. She grew up in a broken home with no Christian influence. When she was in her late teens, she started dating a young man who grew up in an Anabaptist church but never joined. He brought her with him to his parent's church and she joined the church. They got engaged but she ended the relationship when she realized that he was not living for the Lord. The young man continued on in his adulterous ways, and she continued on in her walk with God. His parents and siblings and the church have embraced her the last 20 years as part of the family of God.

When I heard her story, it reminded me of the verses about some people being cut off in order that others could be grafted in.
4 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

ABC 123 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:34 am Thinking about this due to several situations I am aware of...

In most cultures, when you marry someone, you also marry their whole family, in a sense. That "in-law" is not a distant person, they are your child. When one of your children hurts another one of your children, you protect and nurture the one who was hurt, offer them comfort and a place to heal. And you scold the one who did the hurting.
1 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:21 pm

In most cultures, when you marry someone, you also marry their whole family, in a sense. That "in-law" is not a distant person, they are your child. When one of your children hurts another one of your children, you protect and nurture the one who was hurt, offer them comfort and a place to heal. And you scold the one who did the hurting.
For the record, this is how I would view it. A situation I know of has the family defending the adulterer simply because he is the natural born child.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Who says you have to take sides?

Especially if there are children involved.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

ABC 123 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:26 pm
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:21 pm

For the record, this is how I would view it. A situation I know of has the family defending the adulterer simply because he is the natural born child.
Yep… seen the same thing.

What reasons do they possibly have to justify adultery?
0 x