Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Choose all that reflect your perspective on this topic...

1. From NT teachings, I have concluded that Christians should not wear gold, jewelry, or pearls.
25%
2. I put metal wedding bands in the category of gold, jewelry, and pearls.
16%
3. I think Christians should not wear any sort of wedding band, due to New Testament teaching.
12%
4. I think Christians should not wear any sort of wedding band, due to the pagan origins of this practice.
8%
5. I understand that some Christians wear engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and I am sympathetic to their reasons for doing this, however, I would discourage anyone from beginning this practice who hasn't worn a band in the past.
14%
6. I am ok with Christians wearing engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and would not discourage this, but I would not encourage people to begin this practice unless they were moving away from metal, jewelry, or pearl bands and they thought they should be wearing some sort of band.
5%
7. I am fine with Christians wearing engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and I would encourage Christians to adopt this practice.
No votes
8. I am fine with Christians wearing an inexpensive ring/band on their finger (metal or otherwise) but I think it should stop at that. No other jewelry.
3%
9. I am fine with Christians wearing a ring/band on their finger, no matter what kind or what price (within reason) but I think it should stop at that. No other jewelry.
11%
10. I have no problem with Christians wearing gold, jewelry, or pearls. It's the heart that counts.
5%

Total votes: 73

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Post by JimFoxvog »

My reading of the NT is not wearing jewelry of any kind, but I don't want to impose that on others or judge others. We didn't do wedding rings, but my wife wore a gold ring from her grandmother for many years, and I didn't bring it up, but just mentioned my opinion when the topic rarely came up.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

The poll results are interesting.
No votes for #7,8. Folks who are fine with finger rings/bands don't get really technical about the particulars.

I'm surprised that only 2 people on MennoNet are fine with jewelry no questions asked. So that must say something about this forum.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

I am OK with people wearing jewelry because I am not 100% convinced the NT prohibits it. I think it was a way of saying don't put all your efforts into that and forget modesty and discretion.

However, our household refrains from wearing any at all.
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I have not problem with jewelry if it is not so 'out there' that it's the first things folks see. I have worn a simple necklace in the past and wore a watch for years - being a nurse I needed one. These days I only wear a simple wedding ring- never had an engagement ring - my choice. Husband has a wedding ring but hasn't worn it for years- it bothers his finger.
I truly don't see the NT forbidding jewelry- but I do think it should be low key and not ostentatious or cost a fortune. Simplicity
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

ABC 123 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:13 am I am OK with people wearing jewelry because I am not 100% convinced the NT prohibits it. I think it was a way of saying don't put all your efforts into that and forget modesty and discretion.

However, our household refrains from wearing any at all.
That's about where I am. I'm not convinced it's something believers should fight about and that includes trying to force groups to accept it who aren't comfortable with it.

Our alliance recently created a policy against it and I felt ambivalent. Our fellowship had asked members not to wear them from its beginnings, but I'm also cautious about the making of many policies that are interpretation based.
1 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:53 am I have not problem with jewelry if it is not so 'out there' that it's the first things folks see. I have worn a simple necklace in the past and wore a watch for years - being a nurse I needed one. These days I only wear a simple wedding ring- never had an engagement ring - my choice. Husband has a wedding ring but hasn't worn it for years- it bothers his finger.
I truly don't see the NT forbidding jewelry- but I do think it should be low key and not ostentatious or cost a fortune. Simplicity
Pretty much where I am also.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

joshuabgood wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:13 am
QuietlyListening wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:53 am I have not problem with jewelry if it is not so 'out there' that it's the first things folks see. I have worn a simple necklace in the past and wore a watch for years - being a nurse I needed one. These days I only wear a simple wedding ring- never had an engagement ring - my choice. Husband has a wedding ring but hasn't worn it for years- it bothers his finger.
Pretty much where I am also.
Me as well.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

I think some of the arguments here seem to indicate that wearing jewelry is inherently wrong, and has pagan origins. But look what God said to His people.

I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk.
I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck.
And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head. [Eze 16:10-12 KJV]
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

No disrespect to the last poster. It just caught my eye again after a loss I had made on this subject.
I am amazed at the inconsistent view so many have on the OT. One minute a person says we are freed from that in the NT, next subject they are quoting the OT.

I do get it. I hold to the view that everything in the OT is a teaching moment. There are principles involved that while the strict “law” is not binding on us per se, no instruction by God has lost its value. When God commanded the Israelites to slaughter everyone and their beasts, it does not apply to us today to do the literal slaughtering. But we are called to not take part or take the products on an unholy alliance.

But while I respect views on having a ring or not, having a Christmas tree or not, I hesitate to tell someone else the OT commands this of them. I think if we stand before God one day, and it turns out we misapplied something or misunderstood something IN GRACE AND HUMILITY there is a good chance He will forgive. Charity covers a multitude of sins.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

My objections to jewellery are based on the NT.
0 x