Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Choose all that reflect your perspective on this topic...

1. From NT teachings, I have concluded that Christians should not wear gold, jewelry, or pearls.
25%
2. I put metal wedding bands in the category of gold, jewelry, and pearls.
16%
3. I think Christians should not wear any sort of wedding band, due to New Testament teaching.
12%
4. I think Christians should not wear any sort of wedding band, due to the pagan origins of this practice.
8%
5. I understand that some Christians wear engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and I am sympathetic to their reasons for doing this, however, I would discourage anyone from beginning this practice who hasn't worn a band in the past.
14%
6. I am ok with Christians wearing engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and would not discourage this, but I would not encourage people to begin this practice unless they were moving away from metal, jewelry, or pearl bands and they thought they should be wearing some sort of band.
5%
7. I am fine with Christians wearing engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and I would encourage Christians to adopt this practice.
No votes
8. I am fine with Christians wearing an inexpensive ring/band on their finger (metal or otherwise) but I think it should stop at that. No other jewelry.
3%
9. I am fine with Christians wearing a ring/band on their finger, no matter what kind or what price (within reason) but I think it should stop at that. No other jewelry.
11%
10. I have no problem with Christians wearing gold, jewelry, or pearls. It's the heart that counts.
5%

Total votes: 73

DarkShallNotPrevail
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Post by DarkShallNotPrevail »

I would agree with other posters; the way I've taken the verses referring to gold/pearls/etc was in the context of not being ostentatious or showy.

When my husband and I first got engaged, I worked and went to college in a very secular environment, and it was important to him that I have a clear token of our engagement. So I did wear a ring he picked out for me, based on one of our favorite books, and it was special to us. We do wear simple wedding bands as well now. But we're also not very plain, to be fair.
4 x
The meaning of life is to find your gift.
The purpose of life is to give it away.
-w.s.
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

When my wife and I committed to trying to move to join a church where the wedding ring is not practiced, I decided to start right away with not wearing mine. I don't have a strong personal conviction about it, but I understand and appreciate the reasons for abstaining from wearing one.

Then during a garage sale I accidentally gave away a bookbag to a customer, and it turns out this was where my wife had decided to stash our wedding rings and her diamond engagement ring. So there's really no turning back now.
0 x
twinpines
Affiliation:

Post by twinpines »

My wife and I attend a conservative independent mennonite church and still wear our wedding rings, one reason we are not members yet. (My wife has dropped her engagement ring however). This is my personal experience with it. At the time my wife and I got married we were living in different states and due to the circumstances we continued to live a part for another 2 months till we were both done with school. At the time of the wedding, I was church hunting. Prior to the wedding, every time I visit a new church, several single girls would come up to me before I left and try to strike up a conversation. After I got married and hence had a wedding ring on, visited many more churches and never once ever had even one single girl ever attempt to strike up a conservation again. At least in the Baptist circles that I was in at the time, the wedding ring had an effect on peoples behavior. Now I work in emergency medicine, and occasionally have to do invasive exams which I absolutely hate doing by the way. Several times, I have been told by female patients that they notice my wedding ring and feel much more comfortable knowing that I am married. I prefer wearing the wedding ring because it lets society know that I am married and I live in a state where plain people are basically non-existent save for the small Mennonite church we attend. Also we don't live particularly close to the church, over an hour away so really no one around us in our community is familiar with Mennonites. As others have stated, I still struggle to find any biblical reasons or evidence of the early church being opposed to the wedding ring. In fact, in every reference I find to the wedding ring in the early church, it is only in support of it
3 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

twinpines wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:10 pm My wife and I attend a conservative independent mennonite church and still wear our wedding rings, one reason we are not members yet. (My wife has dropped her engagement ring however). This is my personal experience with it. At the time my wife and I got married we were living in different states and due to the circumstances we continued to live a part for another 2 months till we were both done with school. At the time of the wedding, I was church hunting. Prior to the wedding, every time I visit a new church, several single girls would come up to me before I left and try to strike up a conversation. After I got married and hence had a wedding ring on, visited many more churches and never once ever had even one single girl ever attempt to strike up a conservation again. At least in the Baptist circles that I was in at the time, the wedding ring had an effect on peoples behavior. Now I work in emergency medicine, and occasionally have to do invasive exams which I absolutely hate doing by the way. Several times, I have been told by female patients that they notice my wedding ring and feel much more comfortable knowing that I am married. I prefer wearing the wedding ring because it lets society know that I am married and I live in a state where plain people are basically non-existent save for the small Mennonite church we attend. Also we don't live particularly close to the church, over an hour away so really no one around us in our community is familiar with Mennonites. As others have stated, I still struggle to find any biblical reasons or evidence of the early church being opposed to the wedding ring. In fact, in every reference I find to the wedding ring in the early church, it is only in support of it
Your experiences with the ring are similar to ours. In some areas and cultures, the lack of a ring means the person is unattached. We have worn our wedding rings to avoid uncomfortable encounters with the opposite sex who are assuming we are free to enter a relationship. Our rings were purchased in a second hand shop for 5 quid.

Of course at my age I do not think any female would flirt now. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mrbilliam »

Prodigal son was given a ring by the Father.
2 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pm Prodigal son was given a ring by the Father.
The local State Troopers like to do the same. When they catch a bank robber around here they put a ring on his hand.
1 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pmProdigal son was given a ring by the Father.
In an utterly different context from marriage. Until you recognize that fact and quit attempting to force it to mean something else (aka eisegesis), this discussion won't really go anywhere, unfortunately. :-|
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:47 pm
mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pm Prodigal son was given a ring by the Father.
The local State Troopers like to do the same. When they catch a bank robber around here they put a ring on his hand.
You mean matching bracelets?
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: Amazon had an ad today for smart rings, which I decided to go on a bunny trail and look up, and they basically are like a smart watch, except a ring, and can be used for health and fitness tracking. I also stumbled upon an anxiety ring, which I looked at just to try to figure out how that works, and it’s apparently a fidget ring for $25 at Walmart so that you can fidget at work or school without everyone knowing it. I told hubby that I do not want a ring, but if I did ever have a ring, that would be the one I wanted. I can only imagine someone proposing with a fidget ring. Terribly romantic and practical for the right type of woman :lol:

In other news, silver jewelry is not supposed to be used while using cleaning supplies. Go figure.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Coifi
Affiliation: Orthodox (OCA)

Post by Coifi »

Coming from an Anglican background and then moving to the Orthodox Church, I cannot understand why there is such a blanket prohibition again jeweler these communities. @Ernie, can you take pity on a poor, ignorant Orthodox Christian and explain why? And maybe add in a bit of commentary regarding this topic in relationship with Colossians 2:20-23?

I bring this up knowing full well that the same request for commentary with respect to something like fasting applies to me, but the Orthodox Church has an interpretation that addresses the apparent contradiction and I trust that Anabaptists have the same. I merely seek to find the points of continuity and discontinuity between us. :)
0 x
"I publicly confess that this teaching clearly reveals truths that will afford us the blessings of life and I submit that the temples and altars that we have dedicated to no advantage be immediately desecrated and burned." [A.D. 627]