Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Choose all that reflect your perspective on this topic...

1. From NT teachings, I have concluded that Christians should not wear gold, jewelry, or pearls.
25%
2. I put metal wedding bands in the category of gold, jewelry, and pearls.
16%
3. I think Christians should not wear any sort of wedding band, due to New Testament teaching.
12%
4. I think Christians should not wear any sort of wedding band, due to the pagan origins of this practice.
8%
5. I understand that some Christians wear engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and I am sympathetic to their reasons for doing this, however, I would discourage anyone from beginning this practice who hasn't worn a band in the past.
14%
6. I am ok with Christians wearing engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and would not discourage this, but I would not encourage people to begin this practice unless they were moving away from metal, jewelry, or pearl bands and they thought they should be wearing some sort of band.
5%
7. I am fine with Christians wearing engagement/wedding bands that are not technically jewelry, such as a silicon band, and I would encourage Christians to adopt this practice.
No votes
8. I am fine with Christians wearing an inexpensive ring/band on their finger (metal or otherwise) but I think it should stop at that. No other jewelry.
3%
9. I am fine with Christians wearing a ring/band on their finger, no matter what kind or what price (within reason) but I think it should stop at that. No other jewelry.
11%
10. I have no problem with Christians wearing gold, jewelry, or pearls. It's the heart that counts.
5%

Total votes: 73

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Post by Ernie »

Vote and discuss.

11. Other...

Posting in this thread is limited to those who are willing to hear what others have to say, and not berate or disparage those who come to a different conclusion. There is no need to argue long and loud for a particular practice. It is possible to state what we think, and how we come to that conclusion without belittling others in the process.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Poll: Jewelry, Rings, and Bands

Post by RZehr »

1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I’m opposed to Christians wearing Jewelry, but I don’t know if I would be critical of someone choosing to wear a simple band. If they wore it in spite of church standards, that’s kind of 2 issues now and I have a firm problem with that.
Ultimately if a Christian belongs to a church and rejects their teachings and practices, they should find a different church instead of bucking the practice.
I mean, when it says
1Pe 3:3  Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
I don’t think anyone would say it means don’t wear clothing.
I really struggle with the braid aspect of hair…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I see the 'Other' was later added. I don't believe the texts involving these adornments is about the kinds of adornments not to wear but are examples of things that could be worn to draw attention to oneself when the attention should be regarding good works. I don't believe a gold wedding ring and a few other conservative adornments is drawing any great attention to oneself. The point, imo, is often missed in these texts that the main thing that should be seen in a godly woman is her good deeds. Many get stuck on the first parts of the text (let nots) and seldom comment on the (but do).
3 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I'm of the opinion that most of this sort of thing is really about moderation. Just like most similar aspects of living a modest and humble life.

The Bible doesn't prohibit eating food but says don't be a glutton. Moderation.
The Bible doesn't prohibit drinking wine. Indeed, drinking wine is a central rite of Christianity. But the Bible says don't be a drunkard. Moderation.
The Bible doesn't prohibit earning a living and having money. But cautions against greed and envy and says those who are wealthy and motivated by greed won't enter the kingdom of heaven. Again, moderation.
The Bible doesn't prohibit all dress or jewelry. But says dress modestly. Again, moderation.
4 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:45 pm I see the 'Other' was later added. I don't believe the texts involving these adornments is about the kinds of adornments not to wear but are examples of things that could be worn to draw attention to oneself when the attention should be regarding good works. I don't believe a gold wedding ring and a few other conservative adornments is drawing any great attention to oneself. The point, imo, is often missed in these texts that the main thing that should be seen in a godly woman is her good deeds. Many get stuck on the first parts of the text (let nots) and seldom comment on the (but do).
I think every teaching that I've ever heard, taught the second part. It isn't ignored, it is taught over the pulpit and at Bible School.
The real issue is that there doesn't seem to be much controversy about the second part. The controversy is usually about the first part. So that is where the discussion happens.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:26 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:45 pm I see the 'Other' was later added. I don't believe the texts involving these adornments is about the kinds of adornments not to wear but are examples of things that could be worn to draw attention to oneself when the attention should be regarding good works. I don't believe a gold wedding ring and a few other conservative adornments is drawing any great attention to oneself. The point, imo, is often missed in these texts that the main thing that should be seen in a godly woman is her good deeds. Many get stuck on the first parts of the text (let nots) and seldom comment on the (but do).
I think every teaching that I've ever heard, taught the second part. It isn't ignored, it is taught over the pulpit and at Bible School.
The real issue is that there doesn't seem to be much controversy about the second part. The controversy is usually about the first part. So that is where the discussion happens.
What I don't believe is that the second part is taught here on this forum over the first part. This thread poll as well as many previous discussions here, imo, is all about the first part. That part gives some a distinction over others.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:44 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:26 pm
What I don't believe is that the second part is taught here on this forum over the first part. This thread poll as well as many previous discussions here, imo, is all about the first part. That part gives some a distinction over others.
Sure.
1 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

I would be interested on the pagan background of wedding bands. I don‘t wear one nor does my wife. On the other hand my wife wears some jewelry which I do not see as a problem as long as it is not loud/ostentatious (is that a word?).
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Many in our church that are 45 and older do not have jewelry of any type, with a few exceptions. The younger ones are doing it quite consistently, though. There are a few in that are older that didn't get married with them, but later the man took to wearing a band to eliminate to other issues in the workplace.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!