Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by barnhart »

God called David a man after his own heart but David would not qualify for membership in our church. Nor would Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Noah, Samuel, Samson...
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by Soloist »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm God called David a man after his own heart but David would not qualify for membership in our church. Nor would Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Noah, Samuel, Samson...
Samson… yeah he couldn’t be a member

David was specifically told he couldn’t build the temple because he was a man of war.

Why would you exclude Samuel?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:18 am
mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pmProdigal son was given a ring by the Father.
In an utterly different context from marriage. Until you recognize that fact and quit attempting to force it to mean something else (aka eisegesis), this discussion won't really go anywhere, unfortunately. :-|
It is also called perseveration. (a new word I learned today)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:13 pm
barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm God called David a man after his own heart but David would not qualify for membership in our church. Nor would Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Noah, Samuel, Samson...

David was specifically told he couldn’t build the temple because he was a man of war.

Maybe if for no other reason the fact that he wasn't born again?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 pm Maybe if for no other reason the fact that he wasn't born again?
He spoke to God and God spoke to him. I’d say he’s got a one up on most of us.
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:13 pm

1Sam 15:30-35
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:01 pm 1Sam 15:30-35
I guess I would disagree.
If God commanded us to slay our enemies and we knew it was God, would we not obey?
0 x
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

Then we would be in the eschaton and our fellowship will no longer exist. As long as our church exists, he will not qualify.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

barnhart wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:17 pm Then we would be in the eschaton and our fellowship will no longer exist. As long as our church exists, he will not qualify.
Hypothetical as he is dead and either waiting in Paradise or in Heaven.
0 x
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mrbilliam »

I think most have caught on...

I'm just saying that a simple ring banning is a superfluous argument. There is no cause for it really, except to just make a rule. Any woman or man wearing a simple band would not be in biblical sin.
0 x