Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by silentreader »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:09 am Ken, I've noticed you mention Costco frequently, but I had no idea you got married there. :o
bulk discount?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:09 am Ken, I've noticed you mention Costco frequently, but I had no idea you got married there. :o
I got married on a boat.

But Costco had wedding bands that were probably 50% cheaper than the expensive jewelry stores in downtown Juneau that catered to the tourist and cruise ship trade. Juneau is a weird city like that. The downtown has been nearly completely taken over by businesses that service the enormous cruise ship trade since downtown Juneau is a major cruise ship port.

Costco is a Pacific Northwest-based company so there are a lot more of them around here than anywhere else in the country. So I've been shopping there for about as long as I can remember. They also do a lot of things right compared to the alternatives
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Weddings by Costco is actually something they advertise.
It's unclear whether they offer a money back guarantee....
0 x
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mrbilliam »

RZehr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:42 pm
mrbilliam wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:46 pm That said, through the years, I've heard stories for 4 different Beachy Amish sisters in Christ who got harassed at the store by some "weirdo" men. Typically, most men would run for the hills when they see all the religious garb. However some may see the band too and leave alone. Then there are always some who do not care.

Point being we can witness to people the soundness of marriage by displaying in a public way that this woman is my wife, and I am the husband.
What is the answer to protect single women from inappropriate advances and harassment by the uncouth?

Uncouth, nothing.

Most people are not uncouth, not in the places married women go or frequent. Most people will see a ring and not approach her.
0 x
mrbilliam

Post by mrbilliam »

It's fun and games until you hear of young wives being harassed, said "hey baby" to, and followed through stores.

And yes, I've heard this from Beachy Amish women.

But my question stands, which EVERYBODY avoided.

Could the prodigal son be a member in your church with the ring the father put on his finger?

Could somebody please answer that.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

These days men don’t really approach women with romantic interest in public at all with strangers. The few who do are generally obvious creeps or weirdos.
0 x
mrbilliam

Post by mrbilliam »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:07 pm These days men don’t really approach women with romantic interest in public at all with strangers. The few who do are generally obvious creeps or weirdos.
Would the prodigal son who received a ring from the Father be allowed to be a member in your church with the ring on his finger?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:14 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:07 pm These days men don’t really approach women with romantic interest in public at all with strangers. The few who do are generally obvious creeps or weirdos.
Would the prodigal son who received a ring from the Father be allowed to be a member in your church with the ring on his finger?
Nah, he'd have to free his slaves, take off his robes and put on decent clothing, and put his ring in his pocket like a good North American.

But he could, for instance, wear a watch on a wristband so long as it was a tool and not an ornament. And if signet rings would still be in general use as tools instead of ornaments he could probably wear that signet ring as well.

ETA
There would probably be some other expected lifestyle modifications as well. I expect he would be required to provide heated housing for his family during the winter months along with other changes to his first-century lifestyle.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:14 pm
If God puts a ring on His prodigal son it would be a spiritual ring.
If somehow it was a physical ring and we actually knew God did it, I doubt anyone would prevent it.
If we had such an example given by God, I’m sure He would also correct us if we were wrong with our stance preventing rebellious people from being members over the ring.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:04 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:42 pm
mrbilliam wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:46 pm That said, through the years, I've heard stories for 4 different Beachy Amish sisters in Christ who got harassed at the store by some "weirdo" men. Typically, most men would run for the hills when they see all the religious garb. However some may see the band too and leave alone. Then there are always some who do not care.

Point being we can witness to people the soundness of marriage by displaying in a public way that this woman is my wife, and I am the husband.
What is the answer to protect single women from inappropriate advances and harassment by the uncouth?

Uncouth, nothing.

Most people are not uncouth, not in the places married women go or frequent. Most people will see a ring and not approach her.
mrbilliam wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:07 pm It's fun and games until you hear of young wives being harassed, said "hey baby" to, and followed through stores.

And yes, I've heard this from Beachy Amish women.

But my question stands, which EVERYBODY avoided.

Could the prodigal son be a member in your church with the ring the father put on his finger?

Could somebody please answer that.
Let me get this straight.
So these uncouth men are harassing young wives through stores. These wives aren’t wearing rings. But you dismiss any concern for single young ladies with - “Most people are not uncouth, not in the places married women go or frequent.”

Further, no one is avoiding your question. See page two viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6567&start=10 where I gave my answer:
RZehr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:01 pm If God himself put a physical ring on, no one would have authority to question that, and churches would accept it. At that point the real question would be if it was indeed God that put the ring on. People often claim Gods authority wrongly. But if it really happened? Yes.
0 x