Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by mrbilliam »

The prodigal son represents us, who betrayed our Father in heaven. We squalor in filth and sin. When we repent of our ways and returned to God, he came running to us.

I'll quote KJV
21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.

22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:

In verse 22, God the Father put a ring on the prodigal son. This ring represents a promise, like the wedding band. This is actual teachings in Christian churches that have ancient origin.

Would the prodigal son be allowed to be a member with the very ring put on his hand from God the Father? (please answer)

Would a non-mennonite married couple who came in wearing steel rings (cheap and not costly array) be allowed to be members with the symbol of promise on their finger? (optional answer)

Is not wearing a wedding band symbolic to outsiders as adultery, thus the appearance of evil (very optional answer).
0 x
mrbilliam

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by mrbilliam »

Additional optional question - Do most Beachy Amish or moderate conservatives avoid these types of questions because it would mean change to the system that makes them comfortable?
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by Heirbyadoption »

mrbilliam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:31 pmAdditional optional question - Do most Beachy Amish or moderate conservatives avoid these types of questions because it would mean change to the system that makes them comfortable?
More likely they just avoid it because it looks like a blatant attempt to use a 1st century cultural reference from a parable to justify the promotion/acceptance of Christians wearing rings today, and they disagree with using a parable to authoritatively permit a specific practice for Christians which they believe conflicts with other teachings given directly to the Church... Then again, it could just be a threat to the stability of their comfortable system?
2 x
mrbilliam

Post by mrbilliam »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:04 pm
mrbilliam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:31 pmAdditional optional question - Do most Beachy Amish or moderate conservatives avoid these types of questions because it would mean change to the system that makes them comfortable?
More likely they just avoid it because it looks like a blatant attempt to use a 1st century cultural reference from a parable to justify the promotion/acceptance of Christians wearing rings today, and they disagree with using a parable to authoritatively permit a specific practice for Christians which they believe conflicts with other teachings given directly to the Church... Then again, it could just be a threat to the stability of their comfortable system?
I can only think of the costly array scripture as the only excuse I ever heard. Certainly if Jesus himself used the ring example as the Father's love then a simple steel or tungsten (very cheap) wedding band would not be costly array. That's all I can figure...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

There is simply no reason to adopt pagan Roman wedding ring customs.

If it’s super important to somebody, then find one of the BMA or Lancaster Conf. churches that allow it.
0 x
mrbilliam

Post by mrbilliam »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 pm There is simply no reason to adopt pagan Roman wedding ring customs.

If it’s super important to somebody, then find one of the BMA or Lancaster Conf. churches that allow it.
I knew a missionary couple in a city that was asked by a Wholesale Box store employee while addressing the husband (playfully) "When are you going to make an honest woman out of her".

He said this as he knew them for years, seen them for years, but didn't think they were married as they have no ring. In the American culture, married people most often wear bands. In this case, the appearance of evil would be anti-scriptural, and the man seeing this couple for years figured they were fornicating.

This was an Anabaptist couple that was married for many years. What do we do with this?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

mrbilliam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:50 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:46 pm There is simply no reason to adopt pagan Roman wedding ring customs.

I knew a missionary couple in a city that was asked by a Wholesale Box store employee while addressing the husband (playfully) "When are you going to make an honest woman out of her".

He said this as he knew them for years, seen them for years, but didn't think they were married as they have no ring. In the American culture, married people most often wear bands. In this case, the appearance of evil would be anti-scriptural, and the man seeing this couple for years figured they were fornicating.

This was an Anabaptist couple that was married for many years. What do we do with this?
In the American culture, plain Anabaptists are well known for wearing unique, plain attire including no gold or silver. Any place that has a lot of Amish or Mennonites around - people get used to that.

I have never encountered anyone who has doubts my wife and I are married, nor has it been an issue with other people at church. If somebody did ask, like the above anecdote, I would simply say she is already an honest women and would use it as an opportunity to share a piece of the gospel.
0 x
mrbilliam

Post by mrbilliam »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:53 pm

In the American culture, plain Anabaptists are well known for wearing unique, plain attire including no gold or silver. Any place that has a lot of Amish or Mennonites around - people get used to that.

I have never encountered anyone who has doubts my wife and I are married, nor has it been an issue with other people at church. If somebody did ask, like the above anecdote, I would simply say she is already an honest women and would use it as an opportunity to share a piece of the gospel.
I appreciate your answer. How about the countless people who don't ask, or the man for years believing they were sinning? This would be the appearance of evil.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Having lived in a Mennonite town before I became a plain person myself, I never even noticed my neighbour two doors down (a Beachy) didn’t wear a wedding ring. I just assumed he was married since he seemed like a pretty religious person and had little kids.

I don’t think there are really many Americans who think that, well, 100% of plain people they come across are unmarried and living in sin.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

My answer would be "You talking about my wife of forty years here?"
1 x
:hug: