Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:25 pm Hypothetical as he is dead and either waiting in Paradise or in Heaven.
So is the prodigal son, but he can still generate 10 pages of discussion.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Would a moderate conservate Mennonite chuch (Like Beachy Amish) allow the prodigal son to be a member?

Post by ken_sylvania »

mrbilliam wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:50 pm I think most have caught on...

I'm just saying that a simple ring banning is a superfluous argument.
True enough - you certainly are saying that. We could see that clearly enough quite early in this thread.
mrbilliam wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:50 pm There is no cause for it really, except to just make a rule.
Not true at all.
mrbilliam wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:50 pm Any woman or man wearing a simple band would not be in biblical sin.
I'm not sure what you mean by biblical sin. Is there more than one kind of sin? There are certainly a-plenty of sinners who wear simple bands, so it seems a bit illogical to say that anyone who wears a simple band cannot be in sin...
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mrbilliam wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:50 pm I think most have caught on...

I'm just saying that a simple ring banning is a superfluous argument. There is no cause for it really, except to just make a rule. Any woman or man wearing a simple band would not be in biblical sin.
Feel free to go find a liberal church to be part of, then, where everyone can do what is right in their own eyes.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:52 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:25 pm Hypothetical as he is dead and either waiting in Paradise or in Heaven.
So is the prodigal son, but he can still generate 10 pages of discussion.
Thanks to perseveration...
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mrbilliam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm Is not wearing a wedding band symbolic to outsiders as adultery, thus the appearance of evil (very optional answer).
The Princess of Wales was recently photographed without a wedding ring (or any jewelry, for that matter); the press noticed, but did not accuse her of adultery. Her husband took the photo. I can only conclude that a segment of society that is quite concerned with image and protocol no longer places a great deal of importance on that symbol.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:07 am
mrbilliam wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm Is not wearing a wedding band symbolic to outsiders as adultery, thus the appearance of evil (very optional answer).
The Princess of Wales was recently photographed without a wedding ring (or any jewelry, for that matter); the press noticed, but did not accuse her of adultery. Her husband took the photo. I can only conclude that a segment of society that is quite concerned with image and protocol no longer places a great deal of importance on that symbol.
Interesting follow-up to that particular story. Sometimes I wonder where the priorities are when people on the internet spend hours picking apart a photo.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God