What if the Anabaptist Movement...

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

What if the Anabaptist Movement...

Post by Ernie »

This is a fun thread to talk about what the Anabaptist world might look like today if...
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: What if the Anabaptist Movement...

Post by Ernie »

What might a Plain Anabaptist church service look like today, had the Anabaptist movement originated in Scotland?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

What if they had stayed in the Palatinate?

Would we today be seeing big and growing colonies of Amish and plain Mennos in Switzerland and southwest Germany?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:35 pm What might a Plain Anabaptist church service look like today, had the Anabaptist movement originated in Scotland?
Perhaps they would play bag pipes (not considered a musical instrument :lol: ) and the men wearing kilts but perhaps full length to the ground ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

... had gotten more involved in world-wide missionary work right away?
(As I recall, Dutch Mennonites waited until the mid 1800's to start sending missionaries out to other lands and peoples. That's about 300 years of just trying to survive.)

... had not been persecuted?

... had not started MennoDiscuss (and MennoNet)? ;) :angel
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:43 pm What if they had stayed in the Palatinate?

Would we today be seeing big and growing colonies of Amish and plain Mennos in Switzerland and southwest Germany?
Wife: Well, judging from the ones that did, I don’t think it would go well. I think they would’ve just re-integrated into main stream society.
Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:05 pm
Perhaps they would play bag pipes (not considered a musical instrument :lol: )
Hearing it up close, I think I would agree with that, although that might have kept the no musical instruments stance going longer, or at least made a standard that bagpipe players had to stay outside the camp.
The dialect would be harder to pick up because who outside of nerdy people actually study Gaelic? That would’ve been an interesting looking Bible.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:35 pm What might a Plain Anabaptist church service look like today, had the Anabaptist movement originated in Scotland?
It likely would look like the Acapella Psalm singing, gospel preaching, women wearing hats during service, "Wee Frees."
0 x
:hug:
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ken wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:43 pm What if they had stayed in the Palatinate?

That is the area my family is from. They named a village/township after us.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

What if Münster held out? Would there be all kinds of things named after it today like Geneva? Would there be a Van Leyden College? Would the sorts of people attracted to radical new ideas have gone with Münster instead—everybody likes a winner—and left the other Anabaptist groups like the nascent Mennonites much smaller?

What about those of us who became the Amish and Mennonites anyway? Would we have all moved to Münster? Maybe we’re a little uncomfortable with the soldiers defending the faith but at least there we’re accepted and not persecuted. Would there even have been a push to move to North America and Russia? Would there be a Lancaster or Holmes County worth mentioning? Would Münster today be an Amish tourist attraction like they are or would we all have just ended up as irreligious modern Europeans?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm What if Münster held out? Would there be all kinds of things named after it today like Geneva? Would there be a Van Leyden College? Would the sorts of people attracted to radical new ideas have gone with Münster instead—everybody likes a winner—and left the other Anabaptist groups like the nascent Mennonites much smaller?

What about those of us who became the Amish and Mennonites anyway? Would we have all moved to Münster? Maybe we’re a little uncomfortable with the soldiers defending the faith but at least there we’re accepted and not persecuted. Would there even have been a push to move to North America and Russia? Would there be a Lancaster or Holmes County worth mentioning? Would Münster today be an Amish tourist attraction like they are or would we all have just ended up as irreligious modern Europeans?
My guess is it would have evolved into something very much like the London Baptists; essentially a magisterial reformation, with a comfort level of church and state, but with believers’ baptism tacked on. Munster otherwise lacked most of what we think of as “Anabaptism” today.
0 x